WordPress is undoubtedly one of the most popular blogging platforms available among those who want to make money online. It is very easy to maintain and can be used to create wide ranging sites from simple blogs to sites with specialized functionalities. Affiliate marketers simply love WordPress for the diverse range of possibilities it offers. But do you know what does it take to get success in this fiercely competitive affiliate marketing arena using WordPress? Here we analyze 5 steps that will help you achieve your goals as a successful online marketer.
1. Define Goals and Objectives: How much do you want to earn and in how many months or years? This is a very basic version and needs to be clearly answered before starting any affiliate marketing website. It could be small amounts like $250/year or a six figure income. Why I am giving it so much importance because it will directly lead on spending quite a bit of time on choosing the right affiliate program and other important stuff that will help you take a good shot at achieving your goal within a given time duration.
2. Choosing the right niche: There are 1000’s of affiliate marketing programs out there. Some follow very niche markets like Hosting, Flowers or even Truck tires others are very broad based online superstores like Amazon, eBay etc. Gather information on every affiliate; try to match your expertise and traffic bringing capabilities. Track down the average conversion rates and payout per conversion these affiliates provide. Now do the math using this data and see which one of the affiliate matches your goals. Target the one that helps fulfill your objectives.
3. Generate Traffic: All this calculation can simply go down the drain if you are not able to generate enough traffic to your website. The traffic can come from various sources like writing content and creating a stream of targeted organic traffic, paid traffic (via ppc, buying adspace on other sites etc.), sending out newsletters and offers to opt-in email lists etc. Targeted traffic is very important. Another thing to keep in mind while generating traffic is to follow the terms and conditions set by them in letter and spirit. Nobody wants to be associated with a spammer and get bad name for its business. If you are sending spam, unsolicited emails and using other means that are banned by the affiliate it is for sure that you’ll be banned and thrown out of the program. The ideal way to a long term traffic generating strategy is to create content that is well researched on keywords, solves problems of users and has a chance of getting viral. No doubt this content based strategy will take its own sweet time but I guarantee you if done right the rewards will be very good and long lasting.
4. Converting the traffic: Now that you’ve started your efforts on getting traffic to your website, the problem of making money will be solved when these visitors click on your affiliate links and do the action desired by the affiliate. It could be like filling up of a survey, registering for a product, buying a product or anything else. You can use the banners provided by the affiliate’s site, links, or any code snippet that will be used to send traffic. The more targeted traffic you send the greater will be the conversions and the more money will flow in your pockets.
5. Track, test and improve: Getting most revenue out of your traffic is the essence of success for any internet marketing professional. This involves extensive tracking, testing, gathering insights and using them to increase your profit bottom-line. Though affiliate programs have their own methods of tracking conversions and determining final payouts, but a lot of improvements can be done on your website like improving call to actions, experimenting with placement of banner ads, choosing which channels of your ad spend are working for you and eliminating the non-performers. Lots of testing tools help you perform A/B and multivariate testing on various page elements, versions of landing pages so that you come out of a winning combination, which promises increased revenues. This is an ongoing process and should be continued on a regular basis.
Businesses which run affiliate program do so because they think that by giving a small percentage as profit to websites who send them traffic their traffic will improve and will increase the profits. They also love affiliates who perform well, follow the rules and try to keep them as an asset. Some businesses even run training programs for such website owners so that they employ latest and best practices to generate and send more targeted traffic, after all it is a win-win situation for both parties and who won’t want to keep such a relation a long lasting one.