If you are really serious about your blogging profession, here are some tips to setup a professional blog. You can also implement these tips to convert your personal blog into a business blog. A professional blog differentiates itself from other blogs in every aspect including layout, font style, content, SEO implementation, comment handling, email marketing, etc.
Design & Content aspect
- You should present content of very high standards. You should present content that is well researched. You should be able to establish authenticity of the information by including facts and figures. All these things are possible if you have required level of exposure and expertise in your chosen domain area.
- The content should be free from grammatical and spelling mistakes. You should use the right words in the right place and in the right context. You should try to step up your vocabulary with every blog post. You should also take care that changes will not be so abrupt that your readers cannot catch.
- Homepage should be well decked up to receive new visitors. The advantage of presenting the best of the best visual layout and quality content on the homepage is that you will be able to hold the first time visitor and if the content is really attractive the visitor will visit your site again.
- Content should be filled with relevant images. Remember, an image conveys 100 times more than the text. You should ensure that images used on your blog will not violate the copyrights of others.
- Font styles used on your blog should be consistent on all the blog posts. For example, if you are using ‘Times New Roman, size 10’ in one blog post and ‘Arial, size 12’ in another blog post, visitors will not be impressed.
- Before publishing the post, you should verify the facts and figures. You cannot present wrong and irrelevant information. If you are not clear on any topic, it is advisable to hold that post until you get clarity on the same. It is better not to publish at all instead of giving wrong information to the audience.
- It is important to implement SEO features on your blog. This has to be done very carefully. Too much of focus on SEO will destroy the readability of your content. In such scenario, users will not find it natural to read. Hence, it is required to balance your acts of SEO implementations so that you will be able to implement SEO and provide a decent presentation to your audience.
- You should be able to divide topics into different categories. This will help you organize articles into various sections. Users will be able to find the topic of their choice easily.
- As far as possible, it is advisable to find a blog name to be relevant to your blogging niche. In this way, you will be able to gain more from SEO point of view. Using a short and catchy word for your domain name will make it easy to remember.
Web hosting aspect
- It is required to host your blog on a ‘value for money’ hosting platform. There are a number of web hosting companies in the world. You should select one which offers a premium range of services where you will not have many restrictions.
- The web hosting service that you select should enable you to install required software. You should be free to implement SEO by installing required plug-ins.
- Your blog posts should load fast in various kinds of browsers. The server should be up and running at all times. You should ensure that you will get required bandwidth from your web hosting service provider to cater to the growing traffic on your site. The server should be well protected from virus and hackers’ attacks. if You are hosting your websites on WordPress, I would suggest you to check my WordPress Speed Up Guide here.
- A professional blog will buzz with activity. It should be a live platform. When your blog is received by visitors and when you hear from them, you will find life on your blog. Many will try to visit this live blog.
- You should respond comments placed on your blog posts. There is no other better way than to engage the audience on your blog posts. By responding comments, you will acknowledge their efforts and the audience will be pleased to get the recognition from you. They will be encouraged to visit your site again and again.
- You should promote your blog through various ways including email marketing, Google Adwords, guest blogging, participating in various forums and discussion groups and representing in various social networking platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Google+.
By following the above mentioned tips, new bloggers as well as experienced bloggers will be able to convert ordinary blogs into professional blogs in every aspect.