Your blogging success depends more on how you write. You don’t need to have a master’s degree in English to write flawless content. You ONLY need to know few writing mistakes that will actually make you look dumb.
Here are 10 writing mistakes to avoid as a blogger
1. Using sms language: Most new bloggers, especially the college students who start their blogging career use SMS language on their blog posts. This is one of the dumbest writing mistakes they can ever make. There is a lot of difference between professional writing, follow some rules in blogging if you want to build great impact on other bloggers with your blog posts.
2. Posting without proof reading: No matter how busy you are to write a blog post, make sure to write flawless contents. Your readers won’t find it easy to digest your contents when it has lots of typos and grammar mistakes. Always double check (if possible, triple check) each and every blog post that you write.
3. Writing boring first lines: Do you know the first few lines that you write in your introduction part could make a great impact on the success of your blog posts? Most online readers will be interesting in reading those blog posts which have great first few lines. If you don’t write attention grabbing introduction part, your readers won’t spend time in reading them, they simply skip no matter how great your content is. So, spend some time to write engaging first few lines, you can use quotes, stats or facts to easily grab your readers attention.
4. Not ending with a CTA: You must be calling your readers to take some action on your blog posts be it your own blog posts or guest posts to get good results. You have to encourage your readers to subscribe, share or leave comments on your blog posts. Without ending your blog posts with proper call to actions (CTA’s), your article isn’t perfect. Don’t do this mistake again on your next blog posts.
5. Using looong paragraphs: Most online readers love to skim whatever they read. Because they have less attention span. If you use long and boring paragraphs in your blog posts, no one will be interested to read them. Always divide your paragraphs in short blocks of text to make it easy for your readers to digest your blog posts.
6. Using corporate language: We all are humans and any human being loves to read those blogs which use engaging language (or friendly tone) on their blog posts. If you use corporate language on your posts without adding any human value, your blog posts suck! Don’t use random language, there’s nothing wrong in using professional tone, but don’t make your blog posts sound like a corporate firm.
7. Excessive interlinking: Interlinking heavily can lead to a burn out. No matter how many posts you have in your archives page, don’t interlink them all on your latest blog posts. It will surely annoy your readers who read your content, they may simply find exit way to your blogs. Heavy interlinking is a BIG no if you want to build a loyal readership around your blogs.
8. Not having a personal tone: If you want to become a great blogger, you must be striving hard to hone your writing skills. One of the basic things that you can do to improve your writing skills is this, you need to have a personal tone – have a unique voice. Not all bloggers have same writing style, you can distinguish yourself with other bloggers if you have a unique way of writing style. Build your own writing tone, make it user friendly and don’t use complex words in your blog posts.
9. Badly formatting the posts: The success of your blog posts depend heavily on how you craft or format the post.
The basic formatting rules are:
- Using proper sub heads
- Using appealing images or videos
- Breaking the paragraphs the right way
- Writing great first few lines
- Ending with a CTA
- Using bullet point etc.
Make your blog posts shine and use proper formatting styles which are mentioned above to craft your posts the right way. You REALLY can’t create good impression on your blog posts when you badly format them. Spend time to craft your posts according to your blog readers, they will surely make your blog posts go viral then.
10. Not creating attention grabbing titles: 90% of the bloggers read headlines. And most of them will click on your blog posts ONLY if your headlines are catchy. It means, even if your readers read your headlines on the blog, they don’t always click on them unless the headlines grab their eye balls. So, make your headlines captivating to quickly grab your audience attention.
Do you have EXTRA tips to write flawless content? And what writing mistakes do you make? Please share them below..