Best Practices To Follow For Success on Top Social Media Sites
“Social media is the fuel to set your content on fire.” – Jay Baer
No content marketing strategy is complete without a strong social media strategy. Though there is a difference in how B2B marketers and B2C marketers use social media to their advantage but there are some common best practices which every marketers follow over the social networks. To know more about the basic features of social networks you can search on Google because, in this post we will cover the best practices to succeed on the top social networking platforms. Let us get started with the leader in social networking domain – Facebook:
Best Practices to Follow on Facebook:
Facebook is a social networking service launched in February 2004, owned and operated by Facebook, Inc. Facebook has over one billion active users, more than half of whom use Facebook on a mobile device. – Wikipedia
- Be relevant to the brand audience and promote your brand with fresh ideas that can go viral.
- A well written copy with an appealing photograph will help you give an initial leverage to your success on facebook.
- Quality of posts, links shared, content created is of vital importance and there should be absolutely no compromise on this factor.
- Research suggest that short and succinct messages give better results on facebook but there is always a space for well written longer posts that inform and have some entertainment value to it.
- Use the Facebook’s latest targeting tool the – Page Post Targeting (PPT). This new service from Facebook allows you to target your ads precisely to a group. For example you can send a message to all those who have liked your page and have a demographic profile falling between 30-40 years of age and are males.
- Create content that can go viral and gets lots of user interaction, comments, likes and shares across the platform.
- Measuring the impact of your facebook marketing regularly and use the intelligence it provides to improve and target your campaign in a more effective manner.
- Always have a person who owns the responsibility of all these activities and make a dashboard which is accessible to all concerned parties in the organization so that the results of these campaigns are visible to everyone concerned and this will also help incorporate a feedback mechanisms from varied sources, which is always helpful as it might inculcate a culture of fresh ideas coming in to add to the profits.
Best Practices To Follow On Twitter:
Twitter is an online social networking service and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read text-based messages of up to 140 characters, known as “tweets”. Twitter was created in March 2006 by Jack Dorsey and by July, the social networking site was launched. The service rapidly gained worldwide popularity, with over 500 million registered users, generating over 340 million tweets daily and handling over 1.6 billion search queries per day. – Wikipedia
- Twitter marketing requires somewhat different approach from Facebook because of the simple fact that Twitter is more like a SMS with 140 character limitation. So it is essential that you harness all that Twitter has to offer.
- It is better to create some curiosity value to your tweet and any other link you share via the tweet. This will help it getting viral and more retweets.
- Follow the influencers in your industry on twitter and engage with them via retweeting their important tweets and sharing with them some of the work that you’ve created. It is a good way of getting exposure if any of the influencers retweets your share.
- Use hashtags and @ mentions frequently and if necessary don’t hesitate in putting as many hashtags as you can afford, but make sure that the hashtags are relevant and @mentions are targeted towards the influencers in your domain.
- Keep a track on what you tweet. To make your brand more popular among users always tweet your original content. It is ok to share some interesting thing around your industry that’s not created by you. But by sharing your original content and tracking what is working and what is not giving you more social exposure can help you with your future Twitter promotional efforts.
- If you are at an industry event it can be a golden opportunity for you to get exposure in your domain by tweeting about everything that’s happening at an event. It can be like a live commentary on the event, which can be very useful for those who are not able to attend the session live. You spread the word, people like it, share it and you achieve your goals.
- Always keep a consistent voice while tweeting, retweeting and sharing links. The style and quality of your shares and tweets will ultimately go a long way in how people perceive your brand and eventually trust it.
Best Practices To Follow On Youtube:
YouTube is a video-sharing website, created by three former PayPal employees in February 2005, on which users can upload, view and share videos. The company is based in San Bruno, California, and uses Adobe Flash Video and HTML5 technology to display a wide variety of user-generated video content, including movie clips, TV clips, and music videos, as well as amateur content such as video blogging, short original videos, and educational videos. – Wikipedia
- This social platforms are video based and allow users to post share and promote their video among the community. By the very nature of media involved the practices to follow while optimizing for such sites become different. Don’t ignore the power of video marketing because Youtube has already claimed 1 billion active users and is now the second most search engine after Google.
- If you have a video channel you must have a sitemap which confirms with world class standards and provides the most important factors that search engines are able to understand. This will help in rankings of video and give exposure.
- Allow embedding of your video into another site. This means that if someone likes your video and wants to show it on his/her website he can simply take the embed code and paste it into his website to do so.
- It is a real fact that unless it is a big brand and well financed with all the relative equipments it is relatively difficult to produce professional looking videos, but given the improvements in camera technology and its omnipresent availability gives you some leverage and in case you have done some homework on video development you can produce some quality videos. In other case you can mix some homegrown videos with professional videos to get some quality to your channel.
- Short videos that tell some compelling story, a product review or how to do something are much successful than long duration videos that just preach rather than add some value. We are not negating the importance of such videos they have their own fan following and viewership but for promoting a brand, product or service – the former types work better.
- If the situation demands that you create a long form video try to break it into smaller bits which present a complete thought and create a series so that users can know what to expect from a video and secondly you get a chance to describe what all your video series want to deliver.
- Create videos with sub-titles so that people with hearing disabilities are able to get the message you intend to send via the video.
- Understand the power video format presents to you with real time action, moving elements, animated graphics besides regular text, audio and images – in short it gives you full potential to unleash your creativity. Harnessing this power to the maximum and creating compelling visuals that catch the eyeballs is the mantra to success.
- Videos are like short films that can be of short duration say around 5 minutes so they should include all elements of a film like the start – storyline – the plot – and climax. Incorporating these into your video creative will ensure better viewership rather than presenting a bland set of facts.
- The call to action in a product, service or promotional video should be clearly visible across the video and if possible should be strategically placed along with copy and signs that are inclined towards a promotional angle.
Best Practices To Follow on LinkedIn:
LinkedIn is a social networking website for people in professional occupations. Founded in December 2002 and launched on May 5, 2003, it is mainly used for professional networking. As of January 2013, LinkedIn reports more than 200 million acquired users in more than 200 countries and territories. – Wikipedia
- LinkedIn is a social network where professionals interact and maintain their profiles. So it is the more suited to B2B marketing rather than B2C. So if you are trying to sell toys or lunch deals to such network success will not be as much as if you are selling a product that helps businesses make profit or is oriented towards career improvement.
- Create your company page very professionally and keep all the elements like the business cover photo and company information in detail.
- Don’t forget to add sharing elements to your company page. Encourage all of your company staff to connect to the company page and if possible give incentives to share the company page across their own connections.
- Keep the page regularly updated and don’t miss out on any latest developments in your industry. This will help you establish your company as a thought leader in the industry.
- Promote your company events and cover it on your company page. This will help people find out more about the culture prevailing in your company. If it is a social event you can ask people in your company to invite others from their network just for connecting with your company page.
- Exclusive discounts and promotions around your products can be announced via the company page and the page can become a medium of spreading the word across the professional network. Ensure that the content you share is of the highest quality and discounts are exclusive to the page.
- Participate in groups that are relevant to your industry and share your expertise, help others and drive traffic towards your company page this again can help you attain customers or if you are doing it for personal reasons, can land you with a lucrative job.
- Ask for recommendations and professional endorsements for your brand this will help build trust and people who need relevant services might get more inclined towards your brand.
- Use the ‘Follow Company’ button to spread the word on your other platforms such as blogging etc. so that people can get an instant access to what is happening in your company
Best Practices To Follow on Google Plus:
Google+ (pronounced and sometimes written as Google Plus, sometimes abbreviated as G+) is a multilingual social networking and identity service owned and operated by Google Inc. It was launched on June 28, 2011. It has a total of 500 million registered users of whom 235 million are active in a given month. Unlike other conventional social networks which are generally accessed through a single website, Google has described Google+ as a “social layer” consisting of not just a single site, but rather an overarching “layer” which covers many of its online properties. – Wikipedia
- After the not-so-successful Orkut, Google Plus is the search giant (Google’s) answer to the social networking arena. Just because of the large numbers of google users it has got sufficient initial leverage and shouldn’t be overlooked by any online marketer.
- Google plus allows unlimited possibilities and people are still discovering it as new updates are rolling out at regular intervals. One such feature is Google Circles. You can create any number of circles and add people to them.
- Create a professional looking Google Plus page and ask all members of your organization to contribute to it. You can also create a content calendar and appoint an owner of these tasks.
- Share interesting things, lot more than just text, your google plus page can contain photos, videos, infographics and lot more.
- Use the tools like + to promote your Google Plus personal or business page among the community. Promote it using the Google Plus button generator and spread it on other platforms where your online presence exists.
- It is not just about sharing new content. Archived content that has been successful in the past should also be shared and this culture should be inculcated in the staff as well.
- Use the #hashtag feature to get your content or any third party content found in search.
- An overwhelming 68% of google plus users are male. Keep this in mind while targeting your campaign over this social network. In fact this applies to all the social networks. Each of them have their own demographic profile and personality.
Best Practices To Follow On Pinterest:
Pinterest is a pinboard-style photo-sharing website that allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections such as events, interests, hobbies, and more. Users can browse other pinboards for inspiration, ‘re-pin’ images to their own pinboards, or ‘like’ photos. – Wikipedia
- Before deciding on going for marketing on Pinterest it is better to know that it is almost dominated by female users of 18-34 years of age.
- Pinterest is more geared towards visual content, be it images, infographics or video content. If your website or brand produces large volumes of such type of content it is a good platform to be present on and dominate.
- Creating boards that highlight your brand, images, success stories, new launches and even ask users to share their experiences around your brand will help your brand to gain more eyeballs.
- Small videos and promotional images work more on Pinterest and that’s why this type of content should be shared and if creativity is involved in such an effort chances are good that it can go viral on Pinterest.
- If your brand has presence on other online social media platforms cross promote your Pinterest board by using the Pinterest button wherever possible.
- Leverage the locations around your company to create boards that highlight scenic locations, important places and put pictures, small videos around that content and harness everything you can to promote your own company or brand. In fact this can also be extended to the lives of company personnel who are willing, to share moments of their lives and life in the company on the boards.
- Share the expertise your company has to create boards around how-tos and advice related to your industry. How-tos and advices are the most re-pinned things on the internet.
- Don’t use pinterest only for your brand promotion but also to drive traffic to your other online channels like youtube, blog or company website.
- Involve your customers for your brand promotion post their photos, experiences and testimonials on the board.
Though there are more social networks like Foursquare, Flickr, Instagram etc. popular on the social networking domain it has seen many big players like Myspace and Orkut vanish into oblivion but the importance of social media cannot be understated. People are moving from one social network to another and many of them have presence on more than one platform. It is not unusual to find a person having an account on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and LinkedIn because of their inherent nature and specialist services they provide. This makes it a fit case for a multi pronged social media strategy for your brand or product in order to make maximum profits.