Are you looking for the best WordPress backup plugins that you can use to easily backup and restore all your website files?
If you’re tired of losing your data or manually backing up all of your website’s data including files, images, etc – this post is for you where you’ll discover some of the top WordPress backup plugins along with their pros, cons, features, and pricing details.
Why should you use backup plugins?
First things first, why should you even care about taking a backup of your websites? Here are the top benefits of website backups.
- The #1 reason is almost all of the premium WordPress backup plugins let you save all of your website’s data automatically so you can restore and retrieve them any time you want
- Few backup plugins allow you to take daily backups while other offer weekly and monthly backups
- You don’t have to buy separate addons related to backup from hosting companies such as Bluehost. Instead you can use backup plugins for taking full backups of your site
- It’s always better to have “off-site” backups, i.e. backups that are not on your web hosting servers so in case something goes wrong at the web hosting servers, you can’t restore your data. Here’s where WordPress backup plugins come into play as they help you securely store backup offline so your data is always safe
Enough said! Here are the top 8 WordPress backup plugins that you need to store your data.
Table of Contents
8 Best WordPress backup plugins for 2022
Jetpack Backup is one of the most powerful WordPress backup plugins. It was originally launched under the name VaultPress (now, VaultPress is part of Jetpack). It offers one-click restores and you can restore everything even if your website is offline.
- Automated backups
- One-click restores from desktop or mobile
- Allows you to fix automatic file repair
- Restore from anywhere with the Jetpack mobile app
- Unlimited storage
How much does Jetpack Backup cost?
Jetpack Backup offers you the following two pricing plans.
- Backup Daily plan costs you $5.97 per month. It offers you automated daily backups, 30-day backup archive, 30-day log of site changes with unlimited storage.
- Backup Real-time plan costs you $29.97 per month. It offers you real-time backups so every change is saved along with 1-year backup archive, 1-year log of site changes and unlimited storage.
- Backups of all files including database backups and file backups
- Your data is stored in an exclusive offsite digital vault in real time
- With 1-click restores, you can restore all of your data effortlessly at any time you want with a single click
- Automated daily backups with unlimited storage space
- Brute force attack protection and uptime monitoring
- 30 day backup archive to restore your 30 days data
- Spam protection for comments and pingbacks
- Extremely easy site migration & 1 click automated restores
- Priority support from experts
- It doesn’t have a free version and their starter pricing plan costs $5.97/mo
BackupBuddy is another most popular WordPress backup plugin which gives you access to backup your data and also allows you to restore or move your WordPress site to a new hosting environment or domain.
- Automatic backups
- Complete WordPress website backup
- Store WordPress backups off-site
- Customize Backup Contents
- Restore WordPress with ImportBuddy
- Website migration
How much does BackupBuddy cost?
BackupBuddy is a paid WordPress backup plugin and it doesn’t offer any free version. It currently has the following pricing packages.
- Blogger plan costs you $80 per year where you can back up 1 site along with 1 year of plugin updates & support and 1 GB of BackupBuddy Stash storage space
- Freelancer plan costs you $127 per year where you can back up 5 sites along with 1 year of plugin updates & support and 1 GB of BackupBuddy Stash storage space
- Gold plan costs you $199 per year where you can back up unlimited sites along with 1 year of plugin updates & support and 5 GB of BackupBuddy Stash storage space
So what are you waiting for?
- Send and store your backup files off-site in a safe and secure location so your data is always safe
- It takes a full backup of your site where you can download a zip file of the entire site
- This plugin take a backup of your entire WordPress installation including your media library (images, gifs, videos etc), themes, plugins, widgets, content and so on
- The pricing plans are bit expensive when compared to other WordPress backup plugins in the list
UpdraftPlus is one of the most popular WordPress backup plugins used by over 1 million people worldwide along with top companies like Microsoft, P & G, NASA and so on.
- No setup required as you can directly install and activate it to start automatic backups
- It allows you to backup and restore with a single click on a schedule (daily, weekly or monthly)
- It gives you access to complete manual or scheduled backups of all your WordPress files, databases, plugins and themes
- It lets you create password so you choose which site users can access your website backups
How much does UpdraftPlus cost?
UpdraftPlus has two versions: free and premium. If you want premium features like cloning, incremental backups and support – you should go with their premium plans which are listed below.
- Personal plan is suitable for up to 2 websites and costs you $70 per year
- Business plan is suitable for up to 10 websites and costs you $95 per year
- Agency plan is suitable for up to 35 websites and costs you $145 per year
- Enterprise plan is suitable for unlimited websites and costs you $195 per year
- Used by most trusted companies worldwide along with over a million users
- Backup schedules every 4, 8 or 12 hours, daily, weekly, fortnightly or monthly
- It restores backups directly from your WordPress control panel so you don’t have to worry about anything else
- Provides you expert customer support
- Although it has a free version but it has very limited features and the basic premium plans start at $70 per year
Are you looking for FREE WordPress backup plugins? If yes, go for the BackUpWordPress plugin which will automatically take backup of your WordPress Database and files automatically daily.
- Back up to your own web hosting server (so you don’t have to pay extra for hosting backup addons)
- Add multiple backup schedules
- Excellent support EVEN for free users (it offers you a free version of plugin as well)
- Works with shared hosting and and all servers
- Works on linux & windows server
- Exclude files and folders from your back ups
How much does BackUpWordPress cost?
This plugin is completely free to use as it’s an open-source project.
- Extremely easy to use
- No additional setup or settings required
- Your backup files will be automatically saved into backups folder so you can retrieve them anytime later
- You can decide the frequency of automatic backups like daily, weekly, biweekly or monthly
- You can also get a copy of backup files directly into your email
- Since it only offers you free version, you’ll rarely get frequent updates or customer support with it
BlogVault is one of the most popular WordPress backup plugins used by over 400,000 websites around the world. It offers secure cloud backups along with in-built free staging and bulk website updates.
- Offers integrated staging feature for free
- Offers incremental backups to never overload your server
- Free offsite storage
- WooCommerce Backups
- Offers multi-site backup support
How much does BlogVault cost?
BlogVault offers various pricing plans for different website needs. Here are the pricing plans for the Personal plan which is suitable for 1 website.
- Basic plan costs you $89 per year where you’ll get a 90 days backup archive
- Plus plan costs you $149 per year where you’ll get a 90 days backup archive. It also offers website security features such as malware scan, firewall, login protection etc
- Advanced plan costs you $249 per year where you’ll get real-time backups. It offers everything from the Plus plan along with a 365 days backup archive
You can check out their pricing page to find the RIGHT plan for your website.
- 90 days archive to recover from any issue
- It has 100% success website restore rate
- Offers seamless website migrations and the plugin is compatible and approved with over 5000 web hosts
- Provides you encrypted offsite storage
- It doesn’t have a free version. But you can grab their 7-day free trial from the website to see if it’s good for you.
If you’re looking for a complete WordPress backup plugin that offers backup restore, website migration and automated backups, BackupGuard is an excellent choice. Using this plugin, you can perform full or custom backups of your WordPress website with just one click.
- Backup all your website files, databases or both
- Choose which folders to backup on your site
- Choose which database tables to backup
- Scheduled site backups
- Selective files or database restoration
- Upload to Dropbox, G Drive, Amazon S3, Box, pCloud, OneDrive & SFTP/FTP
How much does BackupGuard cost?
It offers both free and paid versions. The free plan is great for beginners where you can install this plugin on 1 website (Lifetime Usage). If you want to unlock more features and use them on multiple sites, you should go with their premium plans which are listed below.
- Silver plan costs you $25 per year which can be installed on up to 2 websites along with unlimited updates, and support
- Gold plan costs you $39 per year which can be installed on up to 5 websites along with unlimited updates, and support
- Platinum plan costs you $99 per year which can be installed on unlimited websites along with unlimited updates, and support
- Unlimited backups
- It helps you easily migrate your website for free
- Unlimited restores
- Access to email notifications
- The ability to download backups
- Cloud integration
- Explore backup or restore log files
- With the free version, your backups will only reside on your server (With their Pro plans, you can upload your backups to the cloud)
WPvivid Backup is an all-in-one plugin that offers backup and migration features along with other features like cleaning up unused images, staging, etc. Even their free version is great as you can back up the entire website, all files and databases.
- Incremental backups
- Staging feature
- Website migration
- Remote storage
- Advanced backup schedules
- Unused images cleaner
How much does WPvivid Backup cost?
It offers both free and paid versions. The free version is enough for most beginners who’re running only 1 WordPress site.
If you want support and other features like customer support, multi-site support, encrypted databases, etc – you should go with their premium plans which are listed below.
- Basic plan costs you $49 per year and you can use the plugin on up to 3 websites with 1 year of updates and support
- Freelancer plan costs you $99 per year and you can use the plugin on up to 100 websites with 1 year of updates and support
- Ultimate plan costs you $149 per year and you can use the plugin on unlimited websites with 1 year of updates and support
- The ability to back up the entire site, all files, or only the databases
- Create staging sites
- Offers website migration options (both auto migration or manual migration) for free
- The ability to create a basic backup schedule and save all your backups to local storage
- Restore a website from local backups
- It has some glitches with few tools (for instance, compatibility issues with Local by Flywheel)
Want to protect your website against hackers, malware, host outages, and more? Then, you should definitely install WPBackItUp as it helps you deal with all those problems.
- Unlimited backups
- Download your backup
- Complete backup including database, plugins, themes, uploads, media files, etc
- Import your backup right from your dashboard
- Clone your site for development, staging or testing
How much does WPBackItUp cost?
WPBackItUp has two versions including free and premium versions. The free plan is suitable for anyone who’s running one website. If you want more features like automated backups, migration, etc – you should go with their premium plans which are mentioned below.
- Personal plan costs you $79 per year which can be installed on 1 website with unlimited backups & restores
- Professional plan costs you $99 per year which can be installed on 5 websites with unlimited backups & restores
- Premium plan costs you $199 per year which can be installed on 20 websites with unlimited backups & restores
- No FTP needed to take backups
- No cPanel required
- Offers one-click option for your backup
- The ability to takes a backup of your entire site
- Status notifications sent to you by email after every backup
- It doesn’t offer cloud backups
Here are some of the frequently asked questions around WordPress backup plugins.
Spending a few bucks on a premium backup plugin or tool absolutely makes sense if you’re serious about protecting your website data in case of data loss or data theft (from hackers).
Here are some of the powerful backup plugins for WordPress.
– Jetpack Backup
Here are some of the best free WordPress backup plugins to use.
It’s always better to take a full website backup of your site including;
– All your uploads such as images, videos, comments, pages, posts, and so on
– Website files
The #1 difference is premium WordPress backup plugins offer you automatic backups so you don’t have to worry about losing or restoring data when needed.
Here are some of the benefits of using premium WordPress backup plugins.
– Instantly recover lost files or data
– Enhanced security
– Schedule the backups as often as you like
Browse Related WordPress Plugins
- Top WordPress Plugins for Affiliate Link Cloaking
- Best Social Media Plugins for Better Engagement
- Best Real Estate Plugins for WordPress Blogs
Thousands of WordPress websites get hacked every single day. So it’s extremely important to take regular backups of your website in case of accidental data loss.
Most WordPress backup plugins mentioned on this page perform extremely well and some of them (such as Jetpack Backup, BackupBuddy) offer extra features like website migration.
Let us know if we missed any of your favorite WordPress backup plugins in the comments below.