Chad Hurley has an estimated net worth of $810 million.
Hurley is the co-founder of YouTube and most of his net worth came from selling his YouTube shares to Google. He’s also an investor and co-founded MixBit, which was used as a video editing tool.
Table of Contents
Who is Chad Hurley?
Chad Hurley is an American entrepreneur. He’s best known as the former CEO and co-founder of the popular video sharing platform “YouTube”.
In 2006, Steve Chen and Chad Hurley sold YouTube to Google for $1.76 billion, and Chad got a share of $345 million, according to The Wall Street Journal.
In 2010, he stepped down as the CEO and became an advisor to YouTube.
Chad Hurley Biography:
- Chad Hurley’s Age: 39 years old
- Birth Date: 30 June 1982
- Birth Place: California, United States
- Nationality: American
- Status: Married
Chad Hurley in Numbers:
- Over 616,000 people follow Hurley on Twitter
- He has over 17K subscribers on YouTube
- Hurley has over 27K Instagram followers
- He’s an investor in 10+ startups and companies
So how did Chad Hurley net worth go from zero to $800+ million? Here are some of the biggest lessons from his success.
Chad Hurley Net Worth: 5 Lessons from YouTube’s Former CEO
1. Never stop investing
YouTube has come a LONG way since its inception. YouTube is estimated to be worth over $180 billion.
Did you know that it was sold by Chad Hurley to Google for only $1.7 billion in 2006?
Although Hurley got a major chunk of the acquisition (as he made over $345 million from the deal), YouTube’s other co-founders, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim, made $326 million and $64.6 million, respectively.
One thing Hurley didn’t stop doing was investing.
He’s known for diversifying his investing portfolio. It will not only help him reduce the risk, but he can also contribute to those startups or companies’ success.
In case you’re curious, here are some companies where Chad Hurley invested.
- Golden State Warriors (which is a football team)
- Los Angeles Football Club (which is a football team)
- Leeds United (which is a football team)
- Poly.cam (which is the world’s most popular 3D scanning app)
- Parallel (which is a Sci-Fi world and Card Game)
- CLMBR (a vertical climbing machine)
What’s the key takeaway from it?
Whenever you make money from your startups, websites, or investments, reinvest those earnings. That’s how your money grows even faster.
Just make sure to start small and do in-depth research before you start investing in anything. This strategy is what helped Hurley to smartly grow his net worth.
2. Keep it simple
Keep it simple whether you’re planning to launch a startup, website, app, or business.
Almost all the successful companies are easy to use. Examples include Google, Apple, and Amazon shopping. The same is true with YouTube.
YouTube’s user interface is simple and extremely easy to use.
Even those who’re visiting YouTube for the first time can easily find any video (or information) they want. YouTube’s search function is EXTREMELY powerful and accurate.
This simplicity is what made YouTube so successful, as millions of people accessed it easily and it helped YouTube to grow rapidly.
So the lesson? Focus on simplicity.
How to keep things simple like Chad Hurley? Here are a few effective tips.
Don’t go into too much detail: If you’re struggling to start something, stop thinking much. Don’t try to go into too much detail, as it can overwhelm you.
It’s better to take some time to find out what you want to achieve. Then, you can identify what specific information that you need to accomplish your goals.
Don’t be a perfectionist: We all want to build successful businesses. But most of us fail because we try to make things PERFECT. There’s nothing wrong with it. When you’re getting started, it’s OKAY to make mistakes. It’s okay to launch something that’s ordinary.
Once people start using your products or services, you can always make new changes and make them better. The key here is to start and set realistic goals.
Start small: One of the simplest ways to get started with any business or project is to start small. You don’t have to take HUGE steps when you’re launching something.
Be as simple as you can be and will be amazed to see how quickly you can transform business (or life). Take one thing at a time, hire someone, and keep things simple.
3. Build a great team
What is the primary reason behind the massive success of YouTube?
A great team.
Hurley, along with his co-founders, were able to build a successful team at YouTube. YouTube’s mission is to give everyone a voice and show them the world. They hired ONLY those people who helped them achieve that mission.
If you’re planning to build a profitable business, you need a great team. Here are a few practical tips on how to build a successful team from scratch (like Chad Hurley).
Find go-getters: “Great companies don’t hire skilled people and motivate them; they hire already motivated people and inspire them.” – Simon Sinek
You don’t need a hundred people on your team if you’re getting started. All you need is a small team passionate about their work and getting things done no matter what.
Have fun: Lastly, building a team should be fun. If you’re not enjoying yourself, finding the RIGHT people who can help with your work will be much harder. So relax, have fun, and train the right people.
4. Be innovative
Hurley was one of the first persons to see the potential of online video sharing platforms.
That’s why he created YouTube, a free video sharing platform.
Yes, he faced a ton of challenges when he was starting YouTube, but he (and his co-founders) always came up with ideas to overcome those problems.
Being innovative means being original and coming up with unique ideas.
Chad Hurley once said, “To some extent, being an entrepreneur is a lonely journey.”
That’s so true about business and entrepreneurship. You have to be creative and come up with ideas that can create an impact.
Here are a few tips to be innovative at work.
Be open to new experiences: Don’t afraid to try new things. Trying NEW things and experimenting is the key to coming up with innovative ideas. Only when you try something new you’ll learn new angels.
ALWAYS be persistent: The reason people like Hurley are successful is because they’re persistent. If you want to be innovative, you need to be persistent.
Don’t give up on your ideas, even if they sound crazy at first. All the great ideas sounded crazy at first! Keep working at them, and eventually, you’ll find a way to make them work.
5. User empowerment is the KEY
The BIGGEST contributor to YouTube’s success is its users. Hurley created a platform where users can easily access and upload new videos.
Did you know that YouTubers upload about 720,000 hours of fresh videos daily? That’s a lot of video content, right?
All the co-founders of YouTube, including Chad Hurley, understood the power of user-generated content. That’s they made it so easy for people to upload and share videos with the world.
Anyone with an internet connection and a mobile can create shorts or lengthy videos and upload them onto the site for free.
The best part? YouTube pays almost 55% of revenue for its content creators, and millions of people get paid from YouTube ads. Users watch for free, and creators make profits. It’s a win/win approach.
So what’s the key takeaway from here?
Know your target audience, find out their needs, and listen to their feedback.
Fortunately, taking customer feedback has become so easy these days as you can collect feedback through surveys, polls, interviews, social media, etc.
Also, make it extremely easy for your customers to get help.
When your customers are using your products, they should be able to get help quickly. Luckily, we now have access to AI chatbot tools like ChatGPT, Jasper AI, etc to provide 24/7 automated responses.
Top 10 Quotes of Chad Hurley
Looking for Chad Hurley quotes? Here are some of the exciting quotes shared by Hurley on his Twitter account and other platforms.
1. “Life is short, so remember to be super serious, take everything personally, and be outraged daily.”
2. “AI (artificial intelligence) is just a feature. Granted, it’s a very powerful feature that will replace many jobs and ultimately kill us… but it’s still just a feature. So don’t forget to build a product before we all die!”
3. “The most underrated superpower of starting a social media platform? Not making yourself the star of the show.”
4. “I think Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are the cornerstones of any social media strategy.”
5. “A product is more than code, it’s the immeasurable magic you create with community and brand. It’s not logic and hard for the logical to understand.”
6. “I think the success around any product is really about subtle insights. You need a great product and a bigger vision to execute against, but its really those small things that make the big difference.”
7. “As you start building the product, don’t assume you know all the answers. Listen to the community and adapt. We had a lot of our own ideas about how the service would evolve.”
8. “Running helped me learn how to deal with failure, which is a big part of the Internet business.”
9. “Video is universal and allows people worldwide to communicate and exchange ideas.”
10. “No matter your industry, there will be naysayers. So you have to be your own champion.”
FAQs about Chad Hurley
Here are some commonly asked questions about Chad Hurley and his net worth.
He makes several million dollars per year as he’s the advisor to YouTube and has also invested in many startups, including Practical Venture Capital, Golden State Warriors, Leeds United, and many more.
After selling YouTube to Google Inc. in 2006, Chad Hurley got shares worth over $345 million.
As of 2023, Chad Hurley’s estimated net worth is around $810 million.
Chad Hurley’s age is 46 years, as he was born on 24 January 1977.
Chad Hurley, along with two other founders, used to own YouTube. Later, they sold it to Google, and it is the current owner. The CEO of YouTube is Neal Mohan.
Hurley serves as the advisor of YouTube. He’s also the co-founder and former chief executive officer of YouTube.
- Jawed Karim Net Worth 2023
- MrBeast Net Worth & His YouTube Secrets
- Ramit Sethi Net Worth: 10 Brilliant Lessons
- PewDiePie Net Worth 2023: Income, Revenue Sources, etc
- How Much Do YouTubers Earn? Interesting Figures
- 30+ Game-Changing YouTube Stats for Savvy Marketers
- Sandeep Maheshwari Net Worth: His Biography & Success Story
- Markiplier Net Worth: How He Became the RICHEST YouTuber
- Jake Paul Net Worth: How He Became the Richest Social Media Star
Final thoughts on Chad Hurley net worth
It took many years of serious efforts from Chad Hurley to build a profitable company like YouTube.
Success is NOT easy. It takes time. You’ll become successful like Hurley if you’re patient and never give up, even when things are tough. Whether you’re a business owner or a first-time entrepreneur, you can grow a lot faster if you come up with fresh and unique ideas.
So what are your thoughts on Chad Hurley’s net worth? Did you find this case study helpful? Have any questions? Let us know in the comments.