Free Website Traffic: 20 Tips to Increase Traffic to Your Website
Traffic is the lifeblood for any blog. If you don’t get enough traffic, it eventually die and all your efforts that have put into blogging will go in vain. Most bloggers think that by creating more blog posts they can get more traffic to their blogs. It was true 10 years back when there was no competition.
Now, in this crowded online community where Google has evolved so much so that even if you write quality stuff you won’t be getting quality traffic unless you have a proper strategy. Then how new bloggers can survive and how can they get more website traffic to make more money online.
Once our website gets live, we implement Google Analytics or any other traffic tracking software on our website with the intention that we will start seeing 100’s of visitors to our website from day one. But that does not happen except you are starting a website around big brand or advertising a lot about your new website. So we need to work really hard to increase our website daily traffic from zero to 100 and then from 100 to 1000.
If spend time on Internet to find out ways to increase traffic to your website, you will come across 100 plus ways at least. But all of them will not work for you. You need to go for the ways that actually helps you improve your website traffic. If you are selling services, products or plain advertisements on your blog, your revenue will depend a lot on your website traffic.
As your website traffic increase, sales, leads and money from direct advertisement will increase accordingly. Suppose I’m able to make $200 from advertisements on my website with a monthly traffic of 6000. If I’m able to double my traffic in next six months type somehow, my monthly earnings from advertisements should reach near $400.
In this detailed article, I’m going to share 20 tips that will help website owners and bloggers increase traffic to their websites and blogs for free.
Table of Contents
- How to increase your website traffic for free: 20 amazing ways
- 1. Write High Quality Contents, But do Keyword Research First
- 2. Be Active on Social Bookmarking Websites
- 3. Update your old blog posts (hint: use SEMrush)
- 4. Start writing on Quora
- 5. Start getting traffic from world’s 2nd biggest search engine
- 6. Write Guest Posts
- 7. Work As An Expert in Discussion Forums
- 8. Do Lots of Blog Commenting
- 9. Do blogger outreach smartly
- 10. Start building an email list
- 11. Repurpose your blog’s content
- 12. Facebook Fan Page
- 13. Twitter Profile
- 14. Webinars are great for positioning yourself as an expert (and get more traffic)
- 15. Conduct informative interviews with influencers
- 16. Search Engine Submissions
- 17. Start optimizing your blog posts for SEO
- 18. Use Your Website Links in Email Signature
- 19. Show Your Presence in Groups
- 20. Do Link Exchange
- In a Nutshell about increasing traffic to a website
How to increase your website traffic for free: 20 amazing ways
1. Write High Quality Contents, But do Keyword Research First
Quality content is the king, there’s no doubt in that, but have you ever asked yourself a question. Even after creating great content why you are not getting any traffic from Google? The reason is most people don’t do keyword research at all which is the most important thing in getting traffic from the search engines.
As you know more content means more traffic for your website. So you should look at ways to publish more content on your website on regular intervals. It would be great if you could add 2-3 new articles on your website around your website niche. And before writing article around a topic, you should do some keyword research around the keyword you want to target through that article.
Always research your primary keywords using Google keyword planner (free), or any other keyword research tool. The idea here is to brainstorm the best keywords that have low competition and high volume keywords. That way you will be able to pull more traffic from the search engines for your desired keywords.
Here are few tips on how to do keyword research right.
- Use Google auto suggestion tool to your benefit (that means type the keyword that you want to rank for). It gives plenty of keywords if it has high volume. Choose the best one among them.
- Focus on your competitors Alexa toolbar. Check out if you could use any of their top ranking keywords and try to write detailed articles or pages using those keywords and I bet you will see the best results.
- Use long tail keywords over short tail keywords. (Ex: Try to use “increase website traffic” over “website traffic”). You tend to get more traffic from long tail keywords.
2. Be Active on Social Bookmarking Websites
If you are feeling that your website content are good enough to shared on social networks, start sharing them on social bookmarking websites. If your website contents are good, other peoples on social bookmarking websites would like to read, share, vote and comment on them. When we submit our website articles on these websites, that will help us drive some instant traffic to our website, help towards faster indexing of website contents, brand building and high quality backlinks for better search engine rankings.
So I would suggest you start sharing some of interesting articles from your website on top social bookmarking networks including Digg, Delicious, Reddit, Google plus, Humsurfer etc. if any of your article gets viral on these networks, you can get even 10000 hits from these social bookmarking websites in a single day on your website.
3. Update your old blog posts (hint: use SEMrush)
Do you want more traffic to your website without creating more content?
One of the best ways to increase your website traffic for free is to update your old blog posts. Most people don’t understand the importance of updating their existing content. But if done right, your old content can bring you massive traffic from search engines.
Quick tip: If you want to increase your website traffic by updating your old blog posts, make sure to know one important thing: know when to update. You can use Google analytics to find all the underperforming posts. If a post is not bringing any traffic from Google from 1 year, you can start working on it by either removing it or updating it with fresh information.
That being said, here are few tips to update your old blog posts to increase traffic to your website.
- The simple way to get more traffic to your old content is to get access to SEMrush. It is the best SEO tool that you can use to find more profitable keywords and backlinks to attract more traffic.
- Always find your top 10 traffic generating blog posts and start working on them regularly (for every 3 months) with new keywords and fresh content. Use images, link to relevant sources and make sure to build links consistently to your top 10 blog posts (you can use Google analytics to find your top 10 posts) to increase traffic to your website.
- Check for broken links. The dead links on your old blog posts can kill your site’s SEO and might even lead to penalize. So make sure to find broken links and replace them with working links while updating posts.
- Delete, update or merge. Use this formula while updating your old blog posts. If an old post is completely outdated either delete it, update or merge with a similar topic (by redirecting your URL).
4. Start writing on Quora
Quora is world’s no.1 Q & A platform where you get best answers to any question.
If you’re not using Quora yet, you’re missing a HUGE opportunity to increase traffic to your website.
That being said, you can also use Quora to start writing answers related to your blog topics and get more exposure if you’re getting more upvotes (just as Facebook likes).
Also make sure to follow me on Quora if you’re looking to generate more search traffic from search engines as I mostly write on Quora related to SEO topics so they can be useful.
Quora is an excellent place for coming up with new post ideas and to do competitor analysis. Here are few quick tips to get more traffic to your sites from Quora.
- Pick broad topics to start answering (when you’re just starting out). They tend to get more views hence you get more upvotes. This gives you enough confidence to start spending more time on Quora. Then, you can start answering questions related to your own blog topics.
- Make sure to follow bloggers who are already killing it on Quora. That way you will be easily able to find topics that are on high demand. You can also start networking with other bloggers to build strong relationships with others to increase traffic to your website.
- Start writing at least 3 to 5 really good answers on Quora every single day. That way you can be consistent and start getting more upvotes, views and even brand recognition.
- Always give links to your published blog posts while answering on Quora. You don’t have to copy past all the content from your content, but make sure to use relevant information and add a link (to your existing post) at the end of your Quora answer. That way you can attract more people to visit your site from Quora.
- Stop spamming. Start adding value. That’s how you get most out of Quora platform.
5. Start getting traffic from world’s 2nd biggest search engine
YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine on the planet right now. Here are some quick facts that make you say wow about YouTube.
YouTube processes more than 3 billion searches a month. Thousands hours of video are uploaded every minute. It’s bigger than Bing, Yahoo!, Ask and AOL combined. Undoubtedly, YouTube is one of the biggest search engines that you can’t ignore.
Did you know that videos under 2 minutes usually get more views on YouTube? Check out the screenshot below for YouTube stats that mesmerize you.
So how to bring visitors from YouTube to your website to boost your traffic. Here are few tips from pros to help you get started.
- Start a YouTube channel with your name (or blog’s name). Make sure to use keywords while uploading videos (with title, meta description and tags). That way when someone enters a relevant keyword, your videos get found easily.
- Experiment a lot. While doing video marketing on YouTube, you need experiment with posting frequency, video length etc so you can understand what works best to increase your site traffic.
- Always make sure to add links to your sites by using annotations on YouTube or meta description data. Otherwise, you’re wasting your traffic from YouTube. Also ask people to visit your sites while they are watching your videos.
- Your video titles play a huge role. So try to spend as much time as possible to come up with rocking tiles for your videos. You can use free tools like Portent to come up with a ton of rocking headlines for your YouTube videos to generate more traffic to your sites.
6. Write Guest Posts
Next thing I would recommend doing is writing guest posts on top blogs in your niche. You should create a list of most popular blogs in your website niche and contact them with the intension to contribute guest posts on their blogs.
Most of bloggers will reply positively as blogs need lots of new content on the targeted topics. Once a blogger shows interest in accepting your guest post, you should write a high quality guest post matching that blog niche and follow the guideless given by that blog owners, you should follow during guest blogging on that blog.
Once your guest post gets publish, you should share it on social networks where you are active and reply to incoming comments on your guest post. You will get lots of additional benefits apart from instant traffic from guest blogging efforts. You can expect receiving few clicks to 1000 plus visits to your website from a single guest post depending upon your writing style and the popularity of blog where your guest post is actually published.
7. Work As An Expert in Discussion Forums
Blogging forums are a lot of fun if you know what are you are talking about. There are lots of new bloggers who will be posting questions and searching for quality answers.
Whenever you get some time, try to respond to them and share your knowledge. This will not only help them, but it will also help you get more traffic. When someone finds your answers interesting, they will find a way to get in touch with you.
There are thousands of active discussion forums available such as Blokube, Biz sugar, Indiblogger etc. so you will end up getting few discussion forums that are active in your website niche. You should start replying to open threads for which you have a solution. With most of discussion forum, you can add few links to your website in Signature sections.
So if people find your solution really helpful, they may go to your website to know more about you and your website services. You should not think of spamming these forums with unrelated self-promotional links. If you do so, your account will be banned from that discussion forum. You can expect some SEO traffic and backlinks for your website from discussion forums matching your website niche.
8. Do Lots of Blog Commenting
Make a list of high traffic blogs matching your blog and start making comments on them. As you know, you get a backlink from each approved comment that you write on other blogs. So lots of readers on those blogs will click on the link placed against your website and thus will bring more traffic to your website.
To get maximum traffic to your blog commenting efforts, you should try to the first commenter on most of posts as your comment will be more read and clicked there. Lots of people use Google Reader to track their favorite blogs for doing comments. As they notice a new post publishing on any of blog, they will simply go and write their valuable comments so that their comments are actually approved by the blog owners.
9. Do blogger outreach smartly
Blogger outreach simply means reaching out to other bloggers via email, social media or personally to help them. But most people get it wrong: they think blogger outreach is all about getting something from others but it’s not.
It’s all about offering help upfront. Blogger outreach is the most effective way to increase traffic to your sites because it helps you;
- Get more backlinks
- Get more social shares
- Get more website traffic and so much more
So there you go! Blogger outreach is all about helping others first and getting help later. It’s all about win/win approach where you both win.
But how can you reach out to other bloggers effectively without sounding like a fool to increase traffic to your website? Here are some blogger outreach tips to help you out.
- Get access to the right tools like Ninja Outreach so it becomes easier for you to reach out and track your campaigns. You need to track your email opens and find ways to follow them up regularly to stay in touch.
- Build relationships before seeking any help. Follow them on twitter, Facebook, Instagram. Make sure to leave comments on their posts. Buy their books and products (if they have any) and give honest feedback. That’s how you build strong rapport with influencers which come in handy in the long run.
- Write effective emails. Show genuine interest. Add as much value as you can with your emails while connecting with other bloggers. Write compelling subject lines instead of begging for help. That’s how you get successful with blogger outreach strategy.
- Last but not least: be gentle. Don’t rush. Things take time so don’t bombard with your emails to waste their time. Once the connection is lost, it’s really hard to build momentum again with the same blogger or influencer.
10. Start building an email list
Pat Flynn, you know his name, right?
He’s the guy who makes over 100,000 dollars every single month from his email list (mainly from affiliate marketing). Not only that, he uses his email list to get more traffic, build more loyal audience and generate more sales.
An email list can be an ATM if done right. So don’t ignore building an email list if you’re looking for ways to build a profitable blog. Here are few things that you need to start building an email list to grow your website traffic and sales.
Pick the right tool: You need a proper email autoresponder to start building your email list. If you’re just starting out, a free service like MailChimp would be suffice (you can build up to 2000 email subscribers for free). But if you’re looking for ways to automate your email list for email sequences, sending broadcasts, use newsletters etc I highly recommend Drip (it’s the same service I’m using right now).
Learn how to convert: If you’re building an email list, you need to learn how to convert your visitors into email subscribers. To do that, the easiest way is to use content upgrades or provide some free stuff such as videos, eBooks, tools and plugins etc. You can also run giveaways to quickly turn your random website visitors to join your email list.
Use email list to increase your website traffic: Whenever you publish a new blog post, you can simply send an email to your entire list with a link. Use a catchy subject line to get more email open rates. Bloggers do this all the time. Just make sure NOT to bombard their email inboxes by spending them too frequently.
11. Repurpose your blog’s content
I’ve a pro tip for you if you want to reach out to wider audience with your content.
Repurpose your blog’s content. What exactly is that? It simply is the process of turning your existing content into several mediums.
For example, you can turn your blog posts into video or infographics or PDF’s (and distribute across those channels) to reach out to new audience across various platforms. That’s knows as repurposing your content.
Here are some of the strategies I personally use to repurpose my blog’s content to increase traffic to my site as well as more exposure.
- Turn into PDF’s: You can use your blog posts or videos content to make them into PDF’s. There are a ton of free PDF directories where you can upload them to grab others emails to get your PDF files. You can also use internal links within your PDFs to get more visitors to your sites.
- Turn into infographics: Infographics are link magnets. They attract a ton of backlinks if the infographics are compelling and valuable. You can turn your most popular posts into infographics. You can use free tools like Canva to create stellar infographics within minutes (you don’t even need a designer). You can learn how to do it by watching tutorials online.
- Turn into podcasts: Podcasts are becoming more and more popular. I see bloggers like Pat Flynn, Derek Halpern etc are doing more podcasts than textual format of content. So use your content to turn them into podcasts and you can upload them on YouTube, iTunes etc to reach a whole new set of audience.
- Turn into videos: If you’ve an article around “belly fat reduction tips” on your site, you can simply make a video around that topic by sharing tips on your own. You can link back to your sites from the video description to pull more visitors from YouTube to your sites.
12. Facebook Fan Page
Start a Fan Page around your brand and start promoting it. Look for ways to increase your Facebook Fan Base. We don’t need to discuss the popularity and the kind of user base Facebook has. Lots of businesses are able to survive using Facebook marketing only.
Having a fan page with thousands of fans will not only help you get lots of direct traffic to your website from your fan page but also helps you improve your website search engine ranking and brand awareness. I have created a Fan Page for Bloggers Passion here, in case you want to check and like my Fan Page.
13. Twitter Profile
Create a strong presence on Twitter and start sharing interesting articles from your website on Twitter. You should write engaging and knowledgeable tweets on Twitter. If people find your tweets interesting, they will click on your website links.
You should include some related tags towards the end of your tweet using hash tag. When you use hash tag with your tweets, people may find your tweets while searching for topics of their interest using Twitter search functionality. You can follow Bloggers Passion on Twitter here.
14. Webinars are great for positioning yourself as an expert (and get more traffic)
A webinar is normally considered as a live meeting that takes place over the web. You can use your own site or other platforms to host your webinars where people need to opt in using their emails to join your webinars.
They are great for list building as well as increasing traffic to your sites. The webinar meeting can be a presentation, discussion, demonstration or instructional sessions that teach your audience about your blog topics (marketing, SEO, fitness etc).
So how do you create highly converting webinars that not only increase your email subscribers but also website traffic and sales. Here are few ways.
Come up with a blueprint: If you want to make your webinars successful, you need to build a solid blueprint especially when you are starting out. Instead of doing solo webinars, try to connect with influencers and do webinars with them. That way you can attract a ton of people to join your webinars giving you more subscribers and traffic.
See how others are doing: Almost every influencer is doing webinars these days. Find out how they are marketing their webinars. Find out how they are using their webinars to generate leads, traffic and sales. You will get a ton of information that way. So what are you waiting for? If you want to increase traffic to your websites, start analysing your competitors from now on.
Start small: You can use YouTube live option to start interacting with your audience. When starting out, you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars for webinar presentation (there are so many webinar tools out there that host and manage your webinars easily but they cost you money). So when you’re starting out, go small. Use YouTube to gain some traction and once you start getting some traffic and confidence, you can then start investing on webinar tools to host and manage your webinars effortlessly.
15. Conduct informative interviews with influencers
Let me tell you a secret. Interviewing top people or even reputed bloggers in your niche can bring massive traffic to your sites almost instantly.
And if you properly optimize those interviews with experts with the right set of keywords (by including their name or brand), you can attract traffic from search engines constantly because people always look for interviews.
Just have a look at the following screenshot.
You can see above that our blog Bloggers Passion is ranking #1 for the keyword “harsh agarwal interview”. You can also notice that so many people are actually looking to read his interview. It also sends us some nice traffic regularly for that keyword.
So you can use interviews to definitely get more search engine traffic to your sites. That being said, here are few tips to conduct awesome interviews with experts that go viral online and help you increase traffic to your websites instantly.
Build rapport first: Before even asking someone to do an interview with you, it’s essential to build strong rapport with them. Start emailing them, leave comments, retweet their stuff and do everything that makes them happy.
Decide your medium: Interviews can be done in any number of types. You can use podcasts, you can do one on one, you can do video interviews, you can also do textual format of interviews (which we normally do at Bloggers Passion).
Ask smart questions, not silly ones: One of the biggest mistakes most bloggers make while doing interviews with others is they ask silly and random questions. Do a thorough research about the blogger you want to interview and read some of their previous interviews to NOT ask the same questions again (otherwise they get boring).
Ask them to promote: This is a must. Ask the bloggers to tweet or share your interviews once they go live. They usually have big audiences that can help you get more visitors to your sites almost instantly. And make sure to thank them either via email or personally for doing interview with you. Most people don’t do that, so it makes you unique.
16. Search Engine Submissions
If you have a brand new website, you should submit your website to some popular search engines. Submitting your website into those search engines will help your website faster indexing into their databases and chances of increasing more traffic to your website from most popular search engines.
Don’t forget to submit your sites to the search engines after launching your site. This will not only help you get more traffic, but it will also help you quickly index your blog posts whenever you post something new.
17. Start optimizing your blog posts for SEO
On page SEO is one of the most important SEO factors that you shouldn’t miss if you want to increase your website traffic for free.
Make sure to start optimizing your blog posts for SEO to get more search traffic. So what can you do if you don’t have a clue about on page SEO.
On page SEO simply means optimizing your pages (blog posts, pages, product reviews etc) with RELEVANT keywords (preferably long tail keywords). In order to get more out of on page SEO, you need to first do keyword research.
Keyword research is the process of finding profitable and traffic generating keywords to bring more traffic from search engines to your sites. Here’s a detailed guide on how to do keyword research if you’re just starting out.
That being said, once you’re doing with keyword research, you need to use on page SEO to start ranking for those keywords.
For this, you need an easy to use tool like WordPress SEO by Yoast. It’s a free plugin (also has a premium version which I use here at Bloggers Passion) to do on page optimization really quickly.
If you are still wondering about on page SEO, here are few quick tips to help you get started easily.
- Use your primary keyword within your title. As title tag plays a vital role so does your headline. So come up with magnetic headlines that attract more clicks from your audience.
- If you’re using images (you must use at least one image per post), use alt texts and mention your keywords within your alt tags.
- Always use your primary keywords in h2 and h3 tags within your content as they can get you faster rankings for your desired keywords.
- Instead of keyword stuffing (using the same keyword again and again), use relevant keywords. You can use tools like SEMrush to come up with relevant keyword phrases for your primary keywords.
18. Use Your Website Links in Email Signature
It is advised to add a link for your website in all of your email signatures. Presence of your website links in signature sections will help people know in detail about you and your company. And when you send emails to someone who is receiving your email for the first time, may even go on checking your website by clicking the link available in your email signature.
19. Show Your Presence in Groups
You should join and be active on groups that are focused around the topics you cover on your website. You will get lots of targeted groups on Google Groups, Yahoo Groups and Facebook Groups section.
Recently I have been noticing a lot of increase in my likes and shares on Facebook after I started promoting them on few Facebook groups. If you want to get most out of Facebook, do promote your latest links and Facebook groups. There are hundreds of Facebook groups available out there, you just have to find out the relevant groups and start actively participating.
Don’t just self promote, also start liking and commenting on others posts. They will also do you the same favor in the long run. So spend time on promoting your stuff on Facebook groups or Yahoo Groups.
20. Do Link Exchange
Link exchange is still effective if done properly. While doing link exchange, you should go for websites and blogs only are related to your website niche. So when you get SEO optimized links from related websites and blogs, will help you drive lots of traffic to your website from Google, Yahoo and Bing.
And don’t be too self promotional when doing link exchanges with others, be genuine in helping others first. Try to put quality contents on your sites before asking for any link from others. This way others won’t hesitate to giving a link to your posts. Again, networking and having great connections with other bloggers plays important role. Without being friends, no one shows interest in link exchanges especially in this Google Panda and Penguin era.
In a Nutshell about increasing traffic to a website
To increase your website traffic, all the above mentioned tips work like charm. But you need to put consistent efforts in bring more traffic. In other words, the ability to bring more attention is the key to increasing traffic to any website. Make sure to find the right keywords before putting even a word on your new articles and use long tail keywords to get long lasting traffic from the search engines.
I hope this should be the ultimate list for someone looking for ways to increase traffic to their website. And if you feel I missed something killer traffic generation method that is available for free, please share in the comments section below.