One of the easiest ways to increase your website sales is to drive more traffic from search engines. Search engine traffic is not only free but it will send you the most qualified buyers to your websites if keywords are correctly used on your web pages.
Ranking for a keyword and getting top positions for it is not easy especially if you’re a beginner to SEO. So how to improve keyword rankings without actually getting penalized by Google?
In this detailed guide, we’ll discuss about few key factors to increase rankings for any keyword you are targeting.
Here’s what you’re going to discover in this guide:
- Few “key Google factors” that will affect your keyword rankings
- Evaluating the current keyword rankings for your site
- Attracting quality links
- Doing keyword research
- Does social media affect SEO
Table of Contents
- How to Improve Keyword Rankings for your Website in Google? 8 Powerful Ways
- Factors That Affect Your Keyword Ranking in Google
- How to Rank High for any Keyword?
- 1. Strategic Keyword Research is the Key
- 2. Start using long tail keywords
- 3. Attract Quality Links for Every Post you Write
- 4. Google Loves Detailed Articles
- 5. Use SEMrush for Better Rankings on Google
- 6. Updating Your Old Blog Posts
- 7. Start Working on Lower Ranking Keywords
- 8. Become Good at On Page Optimization
- Final Thoughts
How to Improve Keyword Rankings for your Website in Google? 8 Powerful Ways
Want to drive more organic traffic to your websites? You need to learn how to rank for more keywords to increase your website Google search traffic. But before diving into the details on improving your keyword rankings in Google, you need to first know the crucial factors that affect your keywords ranking.
Factors That Affect Your Keyword Ranking in Google
Although there are over 200 ranking factors considered by Google to rank a keyword on their search results, here are 5 major factors that will help your site to rank for keywords you are targeting.
- Domain authority
- Number of backlinks
- Social shares
- Site loading time
- On-page SEO
Let’s now talk about the above 5 ranking factors to improve your keyword rankings in Google search.
Domain authority: Whether you agree it or not, the site with good DA (Domain Authority) always ranks well for any keyword. If you’ve a fairly new blog, it’s difficult to rank for a keyword without having DA less than 20.
So it’s a better idea to buy a domain that already has good DA, you can use few sites like GoDaddy, Expired Domains etc to buy expired domain names with good DA.
Further reading: Best Techniques to Increase Domain Authority
Number of backlinks: Backlinks are considered as votes by Google search algorithms. The more links you have on your web pages, the higher rankings you will get for your keywords. So focus on getting good backlinks by guest posting, leaving comments on other blogs, creating Infographics, making videos etc.
Blogger outreach is another creative way to acquire new backlinks to your sites without actually doing traditional link building strategies.
You have to create great content and link out to other bloggers, email them about your linking and you’re ready to go. If other bloggers find your content relevant and useful to their readers, they will definitely link back to your sites.
Social shares: Did you know that your social shares highly impact your keyword rankings? Google is considering the number of social shares you get per post while ranking your keywords.
So if you want to get top rankings for any keyword, you need to find out ways to increase its social shares first. The more likes, comments, tweets and +1’s you get the more higher your rankings will be.
Website loading time: It doesn’t matter if you have a new blog or popular blog, your website loading time decides your Google rankings.
Google gives top priority to the sites that load really faster. After all, Google wants to give its search users the best experience by placing the web pages at top that load quickly.
Consider using a cache plugin and move to a better web host like Bluehost if you want to increase your website loading times.
Don’t even think about using free hosting service as it results in frequent downtimes that can cause you more harm in the long run.
On-page optimization: On-page SEO contributes up to 20%. That means you have already ahead of your competition by 20% if you have perfectly optimized your blog posts for Google.
Make sure to place your targeted keywords on the following places while doing on-page optimization.
- Your title
- Meta description
- Image alt tags
- Sub headings like H2, H3
- Beginning and at the end of the article
Just make sure you are not stuffing keywords while trying to get ranking for certain keywords, keyword stuffing is the surefire way to get penalized by Google. Use relevant long tail keywords instead of using repeated keywords. Also focus on writing detailed articles by providing extra value to the blog readers.
How to Rank High for any Keyword?
1. Strategic Keyword Research is the Key
Don’t use vague keywords like “buy cars”. They are NOT going to help you increase your website rankings on Google.
Instead use strategic long tail keywords like “buy cars under 10 lakhs in Delhi”.
Did you see that?
There’s a HUGE difference between the short tail keyword like “buy cars” and the long tail keyword like “buy cars under 10 lakhs in Delhi”. Here’s the search demand curve for long tail keywords.
Long tail keywords are easier to rank for and they can usually have very low competition so you can increase your website rankings on Google immediately after creating content.
I’ve a few SECRET tips to find really low competitive and highly profitable keywords.
- First off, make a keyword list (50 to 100 keywords) by analyzing your competitors. You can easily do so by using SEMrush. You can grab their 30 days free trial from here.
- Secondly, find all the relevant keywords for those keyword list that you find from the above step. Now, you also need to find their monthly search volume. As a rule of thumb, make sure to target the keywords with 500 to 1500 monthly searches as they will help you quickly boost your search traffic because of low competition.
- Third step is to analyze the keyword difficulty. Again, tools like SEMrush can easily help you find the difficulty of your keywords so you can easily know which keywords are easier to rank for.
- Now, the final step is to create content around the keywords that you come up with after implementing the above 3 steps. Bingo. You have successfully laid out a strategic keyword research strategy that’s going to help you boost your search rankings within a few weeks.
Again, I’m saying you without keyword research, it’s impossible to improve your website rankings on Google. So make sure to give it #1 priority while creating content. If possible spend a week or two just creating an initial list of keywords that you can use in the coming months to grow your traffic.
2. Start using long tail keywords
If you want to quickly improve your keyword rankings on Google, you need to start using long tail keywords on your blog posts. Even if you have a new blog, you still can rank higher in Google search results by using long tail keywords. Why use long tail keywords on your blog posts and web pages?
Two major reasons to use long tail keywords in your content creation strategy.
- They are less competitive: If you’re blogging for a while, you already know the difficulty to rank for any keyword. But when you start using long tail keywords on your blog posts, it becomes much easier for you to rank higher in Google results and it’s easier to improve your keyword rankings as well. Why? Most people don’t generally use long tail keywords, so if you include them on your posts, you tend to rank well.
- They send you more targeted traffic: Want to get more organic traffic? Start using long tail keywords, they usually contain more than 2 keywords so they will send you additional traffic and visitors to your blogs and websites. And you don’t have to use short tail keywords again and again to look spammy, long tail keywords mix up naturally with your content. Google gives rewarding results to the sites that use long tail keywords.
Long tail keywords also increase the popularity of your blogs and products.
Here’s a detailed guide to correctly use long tail keywords on your blog posts to increase your keyword rankings as well as search traffic.
3. Attract Quality Links for Every Post you Write
If there’s only one thing that can increase keyword rankings on your website, it is getting high quality backlinks. Google gives the top most priority to the sites that get natural backlinks from other sites.
Even if you have a new blog and attracting links from authority blogs in your niche, your site gets amazing results for almost every keyword you are targeting. That’s how new blogs rank higher for most keywords in any industry, unfortunately there’s no other way around. You have to get links from other sites.
So how to attract high quality links and how can you persuade someone to naturally link to your blog posts? You can use Skyscraper technique. You can also outreach other bloggers to get natural backlinks.
4. Google Loves Detailed Articles
Did you know that your content length affects your rankings on Google search? If you want to improve keyword positions, make sure to write really detailed guides (like this post), and you’ll attract more search visitors to your blog posts.
According to a research conducted by SerpIQ, the top 10 search results for over 20,000 keywords noticed a similar pattern. The top 10 results for most keywords has at least 2,000 words on their web pages.
Another important note is that, for domains less than a year old, it could be the case that new websites are just starting to build up a solid base of content and may not have their pages fully developed.
Did you also know that, the average page length of top 5 rankings for most competitive keywords is 2,070 words?
According to a research conducted by CoSchedule, the average word count for the top 5 results for most keywords is 2,070 words. That means, the longer content had a huge impact on SERP positions.
Detailed articles also attract more links from other blogs, so it’s an added advantage to rank higher and improve rankings for the keywords you are targeting.
So Google started giving best results and higher rankings for the sites that update their pages with really detailed information. But just make sure not to add any fluff to increase the word count on your posts, it doesn’t make any sense and it won’t add any value to your blog readers.
Pro tip: When writing new contents, make sure to perform keyword research. It doesn’t matter whether you are writing for a new blog or an established blog, to bring more visitors from search engines, you need to target specific keywords.
Never forget to publish a post without using the keywords you are targeting. If you want to increase your traffic, you need to perform proper keyword research, it’s as simple as that. Here’s a detailed guide on doing keyword research like a pro.
5. Use SEMrush for Better Rankings on Google
If there’s only ONE tool that can be useful for increasing your website rankings on Google instantly, that is SEMrush.
SEMrush is the expert recommended SEO tool which I’m personally using for over 1 year to grow my search traffic and sales.
Does the tool really effective? Yes, it is.
Here’s the proven data of how I used SEMrush to increase my search traffic within a month.
Here’s what you can do with SEMrush:
- You can do advertising research
- You can estimate the traffic of any site.
- You can find ultimate keywords that boost your traffic and sales
- You can do backlink analysis
- You can find and fix your site issues
- You can spy on your competitors to know their top performing keywords
- You can do domain to domain comparison
- You can track the positions of your keywords and many more
All in all, SEMrush is a great SEO tool you can use to boost your website rankings instantly.
I’ve covered a lot of tutorials about using SEMrush to improve your website rankings and here are two articles I HIGHLY recommend you to check out.
- Find All Big Reasons Why You Should Have a SEMrush Account
- How to Find And Fix Your Website SEO Related Issues With SEMrush
Exclusive deal for BloggersPassion readers: For a limited period of time, I’m giving you SEMrush tool FREE for next 30 days. Use This Special Link to grab it immediately.
Last but not least, here’s an excellent article on using SEMrush to find profitable keywords which increase your overall website traffic and search rankings.
6. Updating Your Old Blog Posts
Yes, you have heard it right. Updating your old blog posts is the surefire and quickest way to increase website rankings.
Did you know that many of your competitors are ranking on first page results for your primary keywords just because they regularly update their old blog posts?
Updating old blog posts improve your website traffic. See the data by yourself done by HubSpot team.
By updating your old blog posts, they can get better search rankings. The following things you should keep in mind while updating old blog posts to rank well on Google.
- Find and use few more keywords in your old blog posts. That way you can rank for multiple keywords.
- Update your information if it’s old or non informative. Also, update all the images along with the screenshots.
- Share your old blog posts on social media sites by using better headlines. Yes, you can also change your titles for quick boost in your search rankings.
- Link to few more articles. You can also use external links to other sites and email the people whom you have linked about it. They might share or even link to your stuff.
- While updating old content, make sure to remove any unwanted information that’s not useful. You don’t need more words but your content should be highly authoritative, relevant and useful.
7. Start Working on Lower Ranking Keywords
It’s important for you to know your current keyword positions. Without tracking your keyword positions on Google, it’s impossible to increase your website rankings on Google instantly.
Once you know all the lower rankings keywords for your site (I mean the keywords that are ranking on page 2, 3 or so on), create a list of all of them on a spreadsheet.
That’s how you can keep a list of all the lower rankings keywords at one place so you can start working on them to boost their rankings on Google.
If you are wondering how to increase the website rankings of your lower ranking keywords, here are few tips that can help you.
Step 1: Keep a track of all the positions of your keywords. You can use tools like SEMrush, Long Tail Pro etc. Here are 10 top tools you can use to find positions of your keywords on Google.
Step 2: Make TWO lists of your keyword rankings. Include all the 1st page ranking keywords on Google and the other list is to include all the 2nd, 3rd page or lower ranking keywords.
Step 3: Now, you will have two options. The first one is the use the 1st page ranking keywords and working on them (doing on page optimization, link building, using few more keywords, adding links etc) to get the top 3 search results for them.
The second option is to solely work on the lower ranking keywords (the keywords that are NOT ranking on the first page search results on Google).
Step 4: As I said in the above step, working on your already published posts and optimizing them properly for Google can help you quickly improve your website rankings.
Quick note: It usually takes a month or two to notice improvements in Google search rankings after you update your old blog posts. Sometimes, you may see better results within a week or two. So being patient is the key. After all, Google has tons of pages indexed so it will take a while to notice great results.
8. Become Good at On Page Optimization
Most people don’t pay any attention to optimizing their content for search engines.
You can’t improve your website rankings without doing on page optimization. What is on page optimization?
To put it simply, the keywords that you include in your title, meta description, body, sub headings, URL, image alt tags are all known as on page SEO optimization.
It is ESSENTIAL for you to boost your search engine rankings.
If you are a beginner and wondering how to become a master at on page optimization, I’ve a simple tip for you.
Right now, install this incredible WordPress plugin (SEO by Yoast, free plugin). It helps you easily optimize your blog posts for a specific keyword.
All you need to do is to pick a primary keyword (let’s say “best cars to buy in 2020”) and the plugin gives you an analysis on where to put that keyword in your page to rank higher.
Basically you can use this plugin to put your primary keyword in the following places so you can easily improve your blog search engine rankings quickly.
- Page title
- Meta description
- Image alt tag
- Beginning of your article
- Sub headings
- Keyword density (maintain a ratio of 1 to 2%, not more than that!)
All the above things can be easily done by using WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin. It’s one of the most downloaded plugins (over 1 million downloads) and also the highly recommend plugin for bloggers who want to improve their website rankings on Google.
Browse more SEO Tutorials:
- How to do Keyword Research Like a Pro if you Don’t Know Much About SEO
- How Your Website Loading Time Affects Your Rankings on Google Search?
- SEO Checklist for a New Website to Get High Rankings in 2020
- SEO vs SEM: Which is Better?
- How to do SEO for Law Firms and Lawyers?
Improving your keyword rankings on Google is not really hard if you know how to add value to your blog posts. Make sure to create a website that is content rich and attract more backlinks.
Also focus on your website loading time and other search engine factors to improve rankings for the keywords you are targeting. The content length also impacts your search rankings, so make sure to write detailed articles if you want to get more organic traffic to your websites in the long run.
I hope this guide helps you increase your overall keyword rankings on Google and if you like it, do share it with others so they can benefit.
Do you have any more strategies to increase rankings of a website for its target terms? If yes, please share your thoughts in the comments.