Seth Godin’s net worth is over $50 million.
If you’re a blogger or an online marketer, you might be already familiar with the name Seth Godin or his best-selling books.
Seth Godin founded Squidoo.com in 2005 which was a popular user-generated content platform.
Squidoo was a revenue-sharing article-writing platform where articles were called “lenses”. In 2014, Seth Godin sold Squidoo to HubPages.
Seth Godin has written 20 best-sellers so far. So in this post, let’s talk about Seth Godin’s success secrets so you can also follow his path. Are you ready? Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- Who is Seth Godin?
- 10 Genius Lessons to Learn from Seth Godin
- Lesson 1: Become a content writing machine
- Lesson 2: Permission marketing
- Lesson 3: Publish best-selling books
- Lesson 4: Be a purple cow
- Lesson 5: Teach, teach, teach
- Lesson 6: Build tribes
- Lesson 7: Be authentic
- Lesson 8: Position yourself as an expert
- Lesson 9: Do something you’re afraid of
- Lesson 10: Just do your job
- Top 10 Seth Godin Quotes On Life, Marketing And Leadership
- FAQs About Seth Godin
- Final Thoughts on Seth Godin Net Worth
Who is Seth Godin?
Seth W. Godin is an American entrepreneur, investor, speaker, and author.
Seth Godin is the best-selling author of 20 books including Tribes, Linchpin, Purple Cow, This is Marketing, The Dip, and more.
In 1995, Seth launched Yoyodyne which used contests, online games, etc to promote companies which he later sold to Yahoo! for about $30 million.
Seth Godin Biography:
- Seth Godin’s Age: 61 years old
- Birth Date: 10 June 1960
- Birth Place: Mount Vernon, New York, United States
- Nationality: American
- Status: Married
Seth Godin in Numbers:
- Over 3,000,000 people attended over 1000 speeches given by Seth Godin worldwide
- Seth Godin has written 20 best-selling books so far, including The Dip, Linchpin, Purple Cow, Tribes, and What To Do When It’s Your Turn (And It’s Always Your Turn)
- Over 760,000 people follow Seth Godin on Twitter
- Seth Godin currently has over 280,000 followers on Instagram
So are you excited to learn the successful marketing secrets that helped Seth Godin to become a HUGE success? Want to know how Seth Godin net worth went from $0 to over $50 million? Let’s jump into the details.
10 Genius Lessons to Learn from Seth Godin
Lesson 1: Become a content writing machine
Seth Godin is a content writing machine. He writes a lot.
Seth Godin published over 7500 posts on his blog. That’s A LOT of content.
Almost all of his blog posts are short.
But they convey a lot of meaning. For example, have a look at one of his blog posts.
As you can see above, the post is not even 200 words but it’s NOT a mediocre article.
Similarly, almost all the blog posts written by Seth Godin are extremely short but offer tremendous value.
One common issue most people face while creating content is “writer’s block”.
Seth Godin offers a simple cure for writer’s block: Write, don’t wait. Continue to write poorly, in public, until you can write better.
Key takeaway: Create inspiring content. Do it regularly and be consistent with your work. If you’re consistently publishing something useful, you’re going to attract a ton of potential customers in the long run.
Lesson 2: Permission marketing
Seth Godin introduced the concept called “permission marketing” in a book of the same name in 1999. His marketing skills are the major reason Seth Godin net worth is over 50 million dollars.
In case you’re curious, permission marketing is a form of marketing whereby marketers request their audiences’ permission to send them marketing material.
Permission marketing develops relationships with customers before sending them sales pitches or marketing offers.
Seth Godin believes that traditional marketing strategies like TV ads, billboard ads, annoying ads on YouTube, etc were losing their effectiveness as consumers were becoming “picky” and gaining more control of the information they consumed.
Some of the best examples of permission marketing include;
- Opt-in emails (where users can opt-in to receive regular emails with updates and offers)
- Web push notifications
- Chatbot marketing
- SMS marketing
Key takeaway: Permission marketing helps you build loyalty and reputation. It increases your website’s overall conversion rates and sales. So if you’re running an online business, make sure to implement permission marketing.
Lesson 3: Publish best-selling books
Seth Godin has published 20 best-selling books so far which are now available in 36 languages.
In case you’re wondering, here’s the list of all Seth Godin’s 20 published books along with their Amazon purchase links.
- This Is Marketing: You Can’t Be Seen Until You Learn to See
- The Practice: Shipping Creative Work
- The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)
- Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable
- Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us
- All Marketers are Liars: The Underground Classic That Explains How Marketing Really Works and Why Authenticity Is the Best Marketing of All
- Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?
- Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
- The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
- Whatcha Gonna Do with That Duck?: And Other Provocations
- We Are All Weird: The Rise of Tribes and the End of Normal
- Unleashing the Ideavirus: Stop Marketing AT People! Turn Your Ideas into Epidemics by Helping Your Customers Do the Marketing Thing for You
- Poke The Box: When Was the Last Time You Did Something for the First Time?
- Free Prize Inside: How to Make a Purple Cow
- Small Is the New Big: and 183 Other Riffs, Rants, and Remarkable Business Ideas
- Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing out of Sync?
- Graceful: Making a Difference in a World that Needs You
- V Is for Vulnerable: Life Outside the Comfort Zone
- The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
- Survival Is Not Enough: Why Smart Companies Abandon Worry and Embrace Change
Key takeaway: Want to become a better marketer? Write books. Want to become a better storyteller like Seth Godin? Start publishing books.
Lesson 4: Be a purple cow
Cows, after you’ve seen one, or two, or ten, are boring.
On the other hand, a Purple Cow, though… now that would be truly unique. It stands out from other cows: the purple cow!
Seth Godin is one of those rare marketers who have changed the way people think about marketing.
Seth strongly believes that the success of a brand or business is all about building remarkable products that can stand out from the crowd.
You need to become a purple cow if you want to succeed FAST in a crowded market.
Put a Purple Cow into everything you create. Create something truly noticeable. Build something unique yet helpful. That’s how you build successful businesses both online and offline.
Key takeaway: Be creative while building a brand. It’s all about identifying the challenges and creating truly remarkable products that can overcome those challenges.
Lesson 5: Teach, teach, teach
Seth Godin created 10 courses on Udemy (out of which, 6 are in English). You can browse all of Seth’s Udemy courses from here.
If there’s only one thing Seth follows regularly, it is this: “he teaches A LOT”.
He creates amazing courses. He conducts a ton of seminars. He does a lot of YouTube videos to teach marketing. He creates a huge number of best-selling books, blog posts, podcasts, and what not?
He’s a great teacher.
Over 63,000 students on Udemy have enrolled in Seth’s courses.
Almost all of his courses on Udemy are high-rated with a ton of 5-star reviews.
Key takeaway: If you want to be successful like Seth Godin, start teaching. Teach others everything you know. Don’t hold back!
Lesson 6: Build tribes
What’s the #1 trait of successful marketers like Seth Godin?
They can bring together a tribe of like-minded people and do amazing things.
If you want to build a great business (be it offline or online), you need an audience. You need a tribe. You need a loyal following around your business to make it successful.
And yet, too many people ignore the opportunity to build an audience, because they’re focused mostly on making profits.
If you want to be successful, make sure to build a tribe and lead them where they want to go.
Key takeaway: If you’ve a tribe, you can use that audience to test and validate your product ideas. You can use your audience to get feedback. Having a tribe establishes credibility and expertise in your field, so build tribes.
Lesson 7: Be authentic
In an interview, Seth Godin said:
“Authenticity is overrated. Stories that you tell need to be useful, they need to make the point clear. Stories need to connect with the reader, not just make you feel good about yourself.”
Don’t beat around the bush. Make the point VERY clear. Be authentic. That’s how you attract the RIGHT people.
Successful marketers don’t talk about features or even benefits. Instead, they tell a story.
People will listen to you if they’re connected to that story. Here’s where being authentic comes into handy.
You’ll succeed as a marketer if you tell a story that’s authentic. You’ll fail as a marketer if your stories are inauthentic. It’s as simple as that.
Key takeaway: Being authentic means showing your true self. Rather than showing people only a particular side of yourself (or wearing a mask). Be honest. Be authentic. That’s how you create an impact in your business.
Lesson 8: Position yourself as an expert
No matter what your product or service, you need to establish yourself as an expert in your industry. The #1 reason for Seth’s success is his ability to position himself as a marketing guru. That’s the reason Seth Godin net worth is growing rapidly.
You need to decide not only who your products are made for, but who they’re not made for.
People listen to experts, not beginners. People buy from trustworthy people and influencers, not from random strangers.
Once you realize the importance of “positioning”, you’ll succeed faster in your industry.
Here are some of the best ways to position yourself in ANY market.
- Write a book. The best way to establish yourself as an expert in any field is to write a book. Share your knowledge. Offer your BEST advice.
- Start a blog, share your experience, connect with other influencers in your niche. Your network is your net worth.
- Try public speaking or give seminars. If you’re running an online business, do podcasts or create webinars. It all counts!
Key takeaway: Create an online presence. Start a blog if you don’t have one yet. Connect with influencers and make sure to become the go-to guy in your industry if you want to be successful in business and life.
Lesson 9: Do something you’re afraid of
The world is changing too fast. If you want to fast-track your business or life, you need to take the initiative.
Seth Godin is successful because he’s not afraid of publishing extremely shorter articles on his blog. He’s not afraid of building mediocre products. He takes action. He fails and learns from his mistakes to create something truly remarkable.
What would you do if you weren’t afraid of anything?
Go do that.
Key takeaway: Embrace failures. Face challenges. Think big. Take initiative. Doing things and taking action is what separates successful individuals from others.
Lesson 10: Just do your job
Imagine your car is broken in the middle of the highway. You hire a car mechanic to repair it, and halfway through the process, he stops and says: “Hey, I don’t feel like doing this today… I think I am not inspired to repair your car today, sorry!”.
What would you do? You’d probably yell and fire him immediately.
A car mechanic has a job to do. So does a marketer. And so do you, whether you’re a blogger, writer, or a designer – you have a job to do!
Just do your job.
Key takeaway: Your job is what you do when no one can tell you exactly how to do it. Your job is to take responsibility and changing people.
Top 10 Seth Godin Quotes On Life, Marketing And Leadership
Looking for Seth Going quotes? Here’s a collection of 10 amazing Seth Godin quotes, where he talks about life, success, business, marketing, and more.
Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape from.
If you use your money to create exceptional products and services, you won’t need to spend it on advertising.
Hard work is about risk. It begins when you deal with the things that you’d rather not deal with: fear of failure, fear of standing out, fear of rejection. Hard work is about training yourself to leap over this barrier, drive through the other barrier. And after you’ve done that, do it again the next day.
Our job is to make a change. Our job is to connect to people, to interact with them in a way that leaves them better than we found them.
Discomfort brings engagement and change. Discomfort means you’re doing something that others were unlikely to do because they’re hiding out in their comfort zone. When your uncomfortable actions lead to success, the organization rewards you and brings you back for more.
In a crowded marketplace, fitting in is a failure. In a busy marketplace, not standing out is the same as being invisible.
One way to think about running a successful business is to figure out what the least you can do is, and do that.
A woodpecker can tap twenty times on a thousand trees and get nowhere, but stay busy. Or he can tap twenty-thousand times on one tree and get dinner.
The only people who get paid enough, get paid what they’re worth, are people who don’t follow the instruction book, who create art, who are innovative, who work without a map. That option is now available to everyone, so take it.
Don’t find customers for your products, find products for your customers.
FAQs About Seth Godin
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about Seth Godin.
As of 2021, Seth Godin net worth is over $50 million.
Yes, Seth Godin has a podcast called Akimbo.
Seth Godin is a well-known marketer and author of 20 best-selling books including Purple Cow, Linchpin, All Marketers are Liars, Tribes, etc. His books have been translated into more than 36 languages.
Seth Godin runs a marketing blog called Seth’s Blog where you can find a ton of articles on marketing, leadership, and building tribes.
You can email Seth Godin at [email protected]
Few More Net Worth Related Posts:
- Jack Ma Net Worth: 10 KEY Lessons From Alibaba Founder
- Neil Patel Net Worth: 10 Amazing Lessons from Neil’s Success
- Gary Vaynerchuk Net Worth: 10 Brilliant Lessons to Learn
- Russell Brunson Net Worth: 10 Lessons to Learn
- Ramit Sethi Net Worth: 10 Powerful Lessons to Learn from Ramit
- MrBeast Net Worth 2021: How MrBeast Gained 67 Million Subscribers
- PewDiePie Net Worth: How He Became the #1 Most-Subscribed YouTuber
Final Thoughts on Seth Godin Net Worth
Seth Godin is a remarkable marketer. He has written some game-changing books on marketing and business. So if you haven’t already gone through his work, you should check out his blog and books.
Are you a follower of Seth Godin and his books?
What do you think about Seth Godin’s net worth and marketing success? How did Seth Godin inspire you? If you’ve any questions, let us know in the comments.