What Is SEO Site Audit? How to Do Site Audit With SEMrush Easily [The Beginner’s Tutorial]
Increasing website traffic is really hard no matter what industry you’re in. It’s especially overwhelming when you’re new to online world.
But here’s the thing. Website traffic is the currency online (especially organic search traffic). If you’re struggling to boost your search engine traffic, your site might be suffering with some issues.
Here’s where SEO site audit comes into handy. In this detailed post, let’s talk about what is SEO site audit and how to do site audit with SEMrush easily. We’ll also talk about Moz site audit so you will get a better idea about which one to pick. Are you ready? Let’s get started with further ado.
Table of Contents
- What is SEO site audit?
- How SEO audit can help?
- The 3 step tutorial and doing site audit with SEMrush site audit
- Step 1: Create a project by listing your domain
- Step 2: Check your site score
- Step 3: Eliminate the issues and warnings to improve your site score
- Moz site audit
- What makes SEMrush incredible when compared to Moz site audit?
- 4 factors to consider while doing site audit
What is SEO site audit?
Want to get a ton of ideas to boost your search traffic? Then run SEO audit on your site.
SEO site audit basically involves in:
- Finding your website issues (such as duplicated content, missing alt tags, broken links etc)
- Fixing them to get more search traffic
Tools like SEMrush comes into handy when you’re doing site audits of a site. SEMrush Site Audit is a tool that can crawl any website to detect technical SEO issues and provide data for analysis. With this site audit tool, you can perform a comprehensive technical SEO audit at high speed.
How SEO audit can help?
Are you creating great content but still struggling to increase your search traffic? Then, you need to perform site audit to find and fix all your website issues to make it rank better in Google search rankings. Here’s where a tool like SEMrush comes into play to identify where your content is missing out on opportunities to bring you more search traffic.
Site issues like duplicate content, broken links or lengthy title tags, nofollow attribute warnings and whatever the deeper technical issues, SEO audit helps in finding all these issues. It helps you to fix on-site issues and boost search engine rankings.
Site Audit helps you to know about many SEO issues which you usually ignore. This whole process is automated and you will get weekly report of your site audit. So that you can fix all the errors and issues and wait for next audit report to see how effective is your complete SEO of the blog. You can run SEO Audit tool as and when needed manually for any website as well.
Here’s a simple 5 step tutorial that will improve your overall website’s SEO. Not only you’ll be able to find your site SEO related issues but you will also see a growth in your search rankings after fixing them using SEMrush site audit tool.
The 3 step tutorial and doing site audit with SEMrush site audit
Before getting into the details, make sure to give a try to it by using the below link.
Step 1: Create a project by listing your domain
Once you’ve logged into SEMrush dashboard, create a NEW project from projects. Click on “Add new project” to create a new project. Here’s how it basically looks like.
Once you click on it, a dialogue box will open up:
Simple enter your domain name (ex: yourdomain.com) and give a name of your choice to your project. Click Save to continue.
Step 2: Check your site score
Once you’ve created the project with your domain name, SEMrush takes a while to evaluate it. Within a few minutes, it will give you a site audit score for your website revealing all your website issues, errors and warnings.
When you start doing Site Auditing of your website using SEMrush, it reveals much more errors of your website that you are not aware of. Here’s how it basically looks like:
If you observe the above screenshot, site score for Bloggers Passion came as 91% and this tool pointed few things as below
In total BloggersPassion site has:
- 18 broken links
- 87 Pages don’t have meta descriptions
- 16 Pages have a low text-HTML ratio
Step 3: Eliminate the issues and warnings to improve your site score
In the above step, we’ve found several issues that our blog Bloggers Passion has.
Quick note: Our site Bloggers Passion had a site score of around 70 and we made some changes by rectifying all the mistakes and warnings recently, so it went up to 91%.
One of the fantastic features of SEMrush is site audit that helps those who are struggling to generate more visitors and gain more authority for their websites.
Some of the other features that this site audit tool have are:
- It helps in finding broken links on your site.
- You can find pages with duplicate content on your site and also pages that do not have a meta description.
- It can find pages where there is low Text to HTML ratio.
It can find all other problems which are blocking your SEO Progress in some way.
The faster you eliminate those issues, the better your overall site health will be. That’s the use of SEMrush site audit feature.
In this scenario, you can do the following things once you find all the mistakes and issues that your site has.
Let’s correct broken links first as it hurts the user experience of any website. You can use broken link checker plugin by WordPress. With this plugin, you can check all broken links both internal and external linking errors. Sort out all bad links and remove them.
Now, perform the test again on SEMRush Audit tool to see how your site is performing in terms of SEO Score.
Also make sure to add meta descriptions for all those missing pages and then check how it impacts your site score. Using Yoast SEO, add meta descriptions to all the pages. Now, after adding meta description to all those missing pages, your site overall score increases even more.
When you’re done with SEO audit with SEMrush, here are a few things that you need to improve to increase your overall site score and on page SEO as well. Pro tip: I highly recommend you to start using WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin (free) to quickly resolve the issues like images with no alt tags, lengthy titles, missing meta descriptions etc.
- HTML markup: If you are concerned about SEO then you should constantly monitor this key area. However, if you are using a quality theme, this should not be a problem.
- Titles: Title is the one that attracts readers first and search engines too. Make sure that your titles are unique, precise and relevant to the content. If you want to check for any title duplication, then you can do so with the help of Google Search Console. Go to Google search console, under that click on “Search Appearance”, under that you will find Screaming Frog’s Page Titles tab and HTML Improvements. Check with it to find whether that title is taken already or not. However, if yours is WordPress site, then Yoast plugin is enough.
- URLs: For every post you write, URLs you keep should be short, user friendly and has a keyword added into it. In WordPress, you will have the option of using permalinks and WordPress does this automatically.
- Meta description: You need to make description very unique relevant to the page content below 172 characters. But make sure that you add related keywords in it. You can also check description using Screaming Frog apart from the Yoast and other SEO plugins.
- Headings tags: To give proper format and structure to content and making it scannable, use H1 tags in titles.
- Precise Content: The WordPress Yoast plugin checks whether your content is unique, precise and value-added. It is the perfect plugin to optimize your blog’s content.
- Images: If you use any images in your content, then make sure that ALT tags, file titles, SEO markers for images contain keywords and are descriptive as well. WordPress has an image plugin to check this. However, Screaming Frog has its own section where you can reduce image size for it to load faster.
- Links: As the site grows, the chances of dead links will also increase. Although, there is a relatively good WordPress plugin to identify broken links, there are also some good dead link checkers available online.
- Keywords: WordPress Yoast plugin optimizes only one page per a focus keyword. If a repetition occurs, Yoast will point it out.
- Technical errors: Go to Google Search Console account to find out crawl errors. If there are any, correct the nonexistent pages with the 404 error. In other words, redirect the URLs of these pages to places with the necessary information.
- Duplicate content: To find duplicate content issues on your site, use Siteliner.com. Alternatively, you can use Google Search Console too. Check under HTML Improvements to make necessary changes.
With this, you can be aware of a site’s SEO weak spots. You can then prioritize each flaw and rectify over time and you could see how each alteration has a positive impact on your website. You will need to use lots of tools and plugins if you are manually doing SEO audit for any website. But with SEMrush, you can find out and fix all of technical SEO issues from your website with ease using their Site Audit feature.
No matter what type of services you are offering online, you always need to find out what’s happening in market. To outrank your competitors, you should know what are the right keywords to target for your site, what are your site issues which you are not aware of, what are your competitor’s backlinks. No doubt, SEMrush is the best tool for every business that helps you with all these task and helps in increasing your brand in online.
Pricing of SEMrush
SEMrush offers 3 pricing packages that are listed below:
- SEMrush pro
- SEMrush guru
- SEMrush business
Let’s now quickly talk about each one of them to find out the best fit for your blogging needs.
SEMrush Pro: With SEMrush Pro account, you can get the following things.
- Results per report: 10,000
- Reports per day: 3000
- Projects: 5
- Keywords to track: 500
- Pages to crawl: 100,000
- Social media profiles: 50
- Scheduled PDF reports: 5
Cost: $99.95 monthly
SEMrush Guru: With SEMrush Guru account, you can get the following things.
- Results per report: 30,000
- Reports per day: 5000
- Projects: 50
- Keywords to track: 1500
- Pages to crawl: 300,000
- Social media profiles: 100
- Scheduled PDF reports: 20
- Branded PDF reports
- Get access to Historical data
Cost: $199.95 monthly
SEMrush business: With SEMrush Business account, you can get the following things.
- Results per report: 50,000
- Reports per day: 10,000
- Projects: unlimited
- Keywords to track: 6000
- Pages to crawl: 1,200,000
- Social media profiles: 300
- Scheduled PDF reports: 50
- Branded PDF reports
- Historical data
- Product Listing Ads
- Multi-user management
Cost: $399.95 monthly
Now let’s talk about another site audit from Moz so you will have a better idea about both the site audit tools.
Moz site audit
In addition to SEMrush, there is another incredible SEO tool called Moz. Both Moz and SEMrush are perfectly optimized SEO tools. And they have their own unique features. Just like SEMrush, Moz too offers site auditing that helps in identifying SEO issues. It also fixes them and will take your website to the next level.
Moz’s SEO crawl tool identifies duplicate content and titles, server redirects, errors in the title tag or URL and many other factors that affect a website’s search engine crawlability.
#1. Scrape up to 1 million pages
Moz’s crawler has capacity to scrape any public website up to 1 million pages. You can identify issues that impacts your SEO performance and work to improve your website’s ability to be crawled by the search engines.
#2. Schedule Crawl Alerts
With Moz Pro’s site crawl tool, you can do unlimited audits of any public website. It gives instant data about issues impacting your SEO performance.
The crawl test tool sends rogerbot straight to your site or your competitor’s site and finds SEO impacting errors like 500 status codes, title tags etc. However, each account is limited to 2 crawl tests per day and the rogerbot can crawl up to 3k links per crawl test. You can save results in a CSV format.
You can see crawl results after fixing some crawl errors on your site. But, Moz’s crawl test tool comes with Moz Pro subscription. You can schedule weekly crawls to identify new issues. Whenever, new problems arise, you will receive notifications.
#3. Check crawlability issues
Duplicate content and broken links are some of the main factors that hinders the growth of any site. And with Moz Pro’s crawl tool, you can check for website crawlability and indexing issues such as duplicate content and title, broken links, missing page elements, crawl errors, meta descriptions and title tag issues.
Pricing of Moz pro
Moz has several pricing options. Here are their pricing packages in case if you’re interested in grabbing their tools (you need a Moz Pro account in order to get access to their site crawling tool).
Let’s now quickly talk about their 4 pricing options so that you’ll get a better idea about which one to choose.
Standard: With their standard package (costs $99 per month), you can do the following.
- 5 Campaigns
- 300 Tracked Keyword Rankings
- 100,000 Crawled Pages/Week
- You can’t do site recrawl (unlike SEMrush) with this package
- 5 Keyword Reports/Day
Medium: With their standard package (costs $149 per month), you can do the following.
- 10 Campaigns
- 750 Tracked Keyword Rankings
- 500,000 Crawled Pages/Week
- Instant Site Recrawl
- 5,000 Keyword Reports/Month
- 30 Keyword Lists
Large: With their standard package (costs $249 per month), you can do the following.
- 25 Campaigns
- 1,900 Tracked Keyword Rankings
- 1,250,000 Crawled Pages/Week
- Instant Site Recrawl
- 15,000 Keyword Reports/Month
- 60 Keyword Lists
Premium: With their standard package (costs $599 per month), you can do the following.
- 100 Campaigns
- 7,500 Tracked Keyword Rankings
- 5,000,000 Crawled Pages/Week
- Instant Site Recrawl
- Speed Crawl (10x faster)
- 30,000 Keyword Reports/Month
- 100 Keyword Lists
So there you go, we talked both about Moz pro and SEMrush pricing packages. If you observe closely, SEMrush clearly wins the race.
What makes SEMrush incredible when compared to Moz site audit?
If you’re still having questions about why you need SEMrush site audit tool over Moz, here are some of the major benefits of using it.
#1. Check your site’s health
With the SEMrush Site Audit tool’s report, you can analyze your website and make it more accessible for search engine robots. If you want to conduct an SEO-test with SEMrush Site Audit reports, then set up an audit campaign.
Once you set up it, you can:
- Add tags where they are missing.
- Optimize your internal and external links.
- Make titles, meta descriptions, and other HTML tags unique and comprehensible for users and search engines.
- Correct broken images and provide them all with an alt attribute.
- Detect and erase error pages.
- Find duplicate content pages.
- And fix other problems that are blocking your SEO progress.
Here’s how it basically looks like:
Make sure that you don’t exceed your crawled pages limit then you can crawl your website at any time to get reports with the most fresh results.
#2. You can prioritize SEO issues and fix them
SEMrush Site Audit tool checks issues that are related to crawlability, content, images, links, accessibility and coding. And the report shows you the most frequently found problems on your website.
If you want to fix a particular issue throughout your entire website, then check out SEO analysis report. It displays the URLs of all webpages affected by the issue also lists all issues found on a landing page.
#3. Track your SEO progress
You can regularly monitor your website’s health using SEMrush SEO analysis report. Schedule a weekly technical SEO audit and it will automatically start crawling your website. Once finished, you will get a notification.
By running website SEO audits on a regular basis, you are tracking the progress of your website’s health. Position Tracking tool helps you to look at your site’s positions too.
#4. Fix hreflang mistakes
When it comes to International SEO, hreflang are a cornerstone. It tells Google which page should be shown to visitors depending on their language and location. So, if you wrongly implement hreflang tags, it damages the user experience as well as SEO of your website. To find and fix hreflang errors, use SEMrush SEO Audit feature.
#5. Detect security issues
Having HTTPS on your website is an important ranking factor for search engines. It is a sign to users that you care about their privacy and security. Site Audit came up with a new HTTPS report that quickly detect security issues on your website. It warns when your SSL certificate is expired or if it’s registered to an incorrect domain name.
It also alerts you about internal links to non-secure pages, missing redirects from HTTP to HTTPS versions of the same page, HTTP URLs in your sitemap and usage of HTTP on pages with password fields.
You can also export .pdf file of site audit report. If you offer SEO services, then this feature helps in converting a prospect into a client.
4 factors to consider while doing site audit
It doesn’t matter which tool you’re using for site audit (Moz, SEMrush or any other tool), here are some important factors you need to keep in mind to get the most out of site audits.
#1. Site speed
One of the main things that search engine cares about is user-experience. If your website doesn’t load instantly then end-user won’t come to your website again. So, checking site speed is very important.
There are several free online tools you can use. But it is recommended to use Google’s pagespeed insights tool to match with its expectation.
#2. Indexing and accessibility
Users interaction with your website is recorded only when your website is assessed by their usability which means whether your visitors and search engine crawlers are able to access your webpages or not.
For this, your website has to be properly indexed. If not properly indexed, it shows 4xx or 5xx server errors or 3xx redirect errors. However, these SEO audits are easy to perform with SEMrush.
#3. Mobile-friendly test
These days there is not even single person who doesn’t use mobile phones. Google has already upgraded to a mobile-first index to publish search results which clearly means online businesses need a responsive website that performs well on mobile devices too.
You can also use Google’s mobile friendly testing tools to perform a quick test.
Without content, there is no point in talking about SEO as content is the driving force behind SEO. Focus on publishing high-quality content that provides great value to your readers. If you write In-depth content, then you will automatically outrank your competitors.
By doing content audit, you can determine the strengths and weaknesses of your website like which pages are driving traffic and conversions and which pages are redundant. Search engines don’t rank websites. They rank pages. The first task of a content audit is to identify which pages are ranking and which are not. So that you will know which pages to improve.
When optimizing your content, make sure you keep the most relevant keywords in these sections:
- Page Title and URL
- Opening paragraph
- First 100 words
- At least one subheading
- Alt tags in images
- Meta description
If you want to perform a quick audit on your website with a few tests to increase SEO rankings, these corrections will have the most impact. In order to ensure that your website is not missing out any valuable traffic then conduct audit checks at least every three months. Now, you know that these 4 areas to be concentrated more while doing site audit.
In a nutshell, site audit can help you to improve your website’s on-page SEO, spots redirect chains and loops that could hurt SEO, evaluates a domain’s use of markups, HTTP status codes, sitemap, internal links and hreflang tags and finally prioritizes the most important pages first that has biggest issues and fixes it.
Final thoughts about SEMrush site audit
So there you go. Finding and fixing all your website SEO related issues is the most important step.
If you want to bring more search traffic to your sites, make sure to conduct site audits frequently (at least once a month). Here’s where tools like SEMrush come into handy.
Not only SEMrush helps you find great keywords, analyse competition, find link building opportunities but it also helpful in doing in-depth SEO site audit for any site to bring more search traffic.
So did you like this tutorial on doing site audit with SEMrush? Do you have any questions? Share your thoughts in the comments.