One of the most ignored yet easiest link-building and blog promotion strategies is bookmarking in SEO. If you’re looking for the best guide around the social bookmarking sites list in 2022, you’re in the right place.
Whether you know it or not, user interaction and links play a pivotal role in increasing the organic traffic and search engine rankings of your site.
There are very few tactics that actually provide you both user engagement and links, out of which social bookmarking is one among them.
So let’s find out how various bookmarking sites can help your SEO and how to use them effectively along with pros and cons. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- 50 Social Bookmarking Sites: Ultimate Guide for 2022
- What is Social Bookmarking?
- Top 20 Social Bookmarking Sites List for 2022 (with DR & Ahrefs Rank)
- More High DR Social Bookmarking Sites for 2022
- Why Do We Need Social Bookmarking Sites
- Pros and cons of Social Sharing sites
- Can Social Bookmarking webites Help You With Traffic And SEO?
- How to drive traffic from bookmarking sites
- The 5 step social bookmarking strategy
- Do’s and don’ts of social bookmarking
- FAQs About Social Bookmarking Sites in 2022
- Final thoughts about social bookmarking sites list in 2022
We get a commission when you buy a product via our affiliate link at no additional cost.
Social bookmarking sites are those sites that store people’s bookmarks online. These bookmarks usually include links, images, videos, and so on and they provide a way for people to store, organize, search and manage bookmarks easily.
The whole idea behind social bookmarking is simple: people “bookmark” something from their own sites or that they have seen on the internet so anyone can publicly access that information at anytime they want.
The great thing about using social bookmarking is that the links that come from them are usually treated as qualified links which actually help you with your overall website’s backlink profile.
So if you’re a blogger or an SEO who’s looking for the easiest yet most effective way to build links for your site, you should definitely give it a try to social bookmarking websites.
There are literally hundreds of bookmarking sites out there and most of them are not really effective. So if you’re wondering about the most popular social bookmarking sites list for 2022, here are a few of them along with their DR (Domain Rating) and Ahrefs Rank.
- StumbleUpon is now known as Mix (DR: 91, Ahrefs Rank: 676)
- Reddit (DR: 94, Ahrefs Rank: 51)
- Pinterest (DR: 97, Ahrefs Rank: 8)
- Diigo (DR: 86, Ahrefs Rank: 3,746)
- Digg (DR: 92, Ahrefs Rank: 292)
- Slashdot (DR: 88, Ahrefs Rank: 2,513)
- Pocket (DR: 92 Ahrefs Rank: 233)
- We Heart It (DR: 81 Ahrefs Rank: 11,140)
- Folkd (DR: 79, Ahrefs Rank: 14,290)
- Scoop.it (DR: 86 Ahrefs Rank: 3,569)
- Dribbble (DR: 93 Ahrefs Rank: 136)
- BizSugar (DR: 71 Ahrefs Rank: 85,820)
- Fark (DR: 77 Ahrefs Rank: 20,834)
- Facebook Groups (DR 100, Ahrefs Rank 1)
- BibSonomy (DR:72, Ahrefs Rank 66,362)
- Pearltrees (DR:81, Ahrefs Rank 11,048)
- DZone (DR:85, Ahrefs Rank 4,622)
- Twitter (DR:99, Ahrefs Rank 2)
- Medium (DR:94, Ahrefs Rank 64)
- Instagram (DR:99, Ahrefs Rank 3)
Let’s now talk about each one of the above-mentioned social bookmarking networks briefly so you’ll have a better idea about them.
1. StumbleUpon (now known as Mix)
StumbleUpon is one of the most popular bookmarking sites which is now known as Mix which currently has a DR: 91, Ahrefs Rank: 676, so it’s definitely a great platform to submit all your latest links.
You can use either Gmail, Facebook, or Twitter credentials to sign up for Mix and it’s completely free to use. From videos to photos and a ton of useful stories on a wide range of topics, you can use Mix to find almost anything on the internet that’s newsworthy.
Reddit is often known as the face of the Internet which currently has over 330 million active users and it has a great DR: 94 and Ahrefs Rank: 51. People from over 217 countries are using Reddit where you can find a ton of useful threads and communities to connect with other people and share your latest posts.
Reddit was founded back in 2005 where you can submit various forms of content to the site including links, text posts, and images and others will upvote if they like your content. If your content gets more upvotes, you can draw more eyeballs to read your content.
Pinterest is a different type of bookmarking site among all from this list which mainly uses image and infographics type of content to attract people around the world which has the highest DR of 97 and Ahrefs Rank: 8.
If you’re submitting on Pinterest, make sure to add as many images, screenshots, and if possible infographics within your blog posts for best results. You can use tools like Canva, Photoshop, etc to easily create appealing images, infographics to use within your blog.
Diigo is another incredible source for bookmarking all your latest blog post links and also allows you to bookmark any number of pages or links of your site which has a great DR of 86 with the Ahrefs Rank: 3,746 which makes it worth giving a try.
The best part about using Diigo is that you can also use it for information storing such as you can easily highlight any part of a website’s page and attach sticky notes to specific highlights for easy access later.
The mission of Digg bookmarking site is to help people all over the world to discover places and topics where they can be themselves. Currently, Digg has a DR of 92 and Ahrefs Rank of 292 and also it has got a great community of users throughout the world.
Digg is also a great online resource where you can find information related to almost any topic such as science, trending political issues, entertainment, viral Internet-related stuff, and so on.
With Slashdot having a domain rating of 88, and Ahrefs Rank of 2,513, it is one of the less known and high authority bookmarking sites that is worth adding to your list where you can add and submit all your latest blog entries for free.
The #1 reason most people use this site is that it includes the latest news stories on science, technology, and politics that are submitted by users all around the world and moderated by a team of editing experts which makes it less spammy.
Pocket currently has a great DR: 92 with an Ahrefs Rank of 233 and it is previously known as Read It Later where you can not only post links as a part of bookmarking but you can also use to read later all the links that you come across the web.
It’s simply an application for managing a reading list of articles from the Internet, that you can use from your laptop, iOS devices, or androids. Not only that, it allows you to save all of your links i.e bookmarks offline so you can read anytime you want even when your wifi is weak or offline.
8. We Heart It
For most users, ‘We Heart It’ sounds like a new bookmarking site but is one of the oldest sites which was launched way back in 2008 and it describes the platform as a “home for your inspiration and organise everything at one place that you find interesting online” which has a stunning DR: 81 and Ahrefs Rank of 11,140.
If you’re still wondering what it is all about, just like Pinterest, it’s also an image sharing platform where you can share all your images and image-based links that you can share with friends and a worldwide audience.
Folkd allows you to bookmark all of your site links for free and it also allows you to find out what others in your network are bookmarking which has a DR of 79 and Ahrefs Rank: 14,290.
Folkd is widely used by all kinds of bloggers and marketers around the world as the community is filled mostly with marketing, blogging, SEO related stuff. So if you’re into any of such industries to submit your latest blog posts links, Folkd is a great choice for you.
Scoop.it is a unique site when compared to other bookmarking sites on the list. In fact, it allows you to curate all the links on any site through your user id which has a DR of 86 and Ahrefs Rank of 3,569.
Since it’s a content curation publishing network, you can use it as a bookmarking site where you can not only publish other links but also submit your own blog post URLs to get quality links and more exposure to your content, and is completely free to use.
Dribbble has a Domain Rating of 93 and has an Ahrefs Rank of 136 which is considered as one of the best platforms where you can discover lots of user-made artwork.
So if you’re someone who’s into graphic design, web design, illustration, photography, and other creative areas and looking for ways to promote your work along with the blog post links, this platform is exclusively for you.
BizSugar can be used as a social bookmarking site, blogging forum, and an online community where you can both submit your latest blog posts and also discover a wide range of topics on the web which has a DR: 71 and Ahrefs Rank: 85,820.
If you’re a small business or running an eCommerce store or just looking to get updates around blogging, SEO, marketing related stuff, BizSugar is a great platform for you where you can also connect with like-minded bloggers.
Fark is used by millions of people worldwide to find a ton of stuff related to humor, news, latest trends and so on which has a very good domain rating of 77 along with the Ahrefs Rank of 20,834.
Fark allows you to submit your blog entries, discover interesting stuff on the internet, get in touch with other community members, and also allows you to comment on other posts that you find interesting.
14. Facebook Groups
Facebook is the world’s #1 social network and it currently has over 1.8 billion Facebook Groups (and growing) to choose from. You can find FB groups on almost every topic ranging from parenting to networking to blogging and what not?
To join a Facebook group, you need to first have an account with Facebook and you can sign up for free using your email account. Once you’re on Facebook, you can search for a group by entering relevant keywords in your industry (such as “blogging”).
You can also find a ton of blog promotion groups where you can start sharing your blog or website URL to get more traffic or build links.
BibSonomy is a social bookmarking and publication sharing system where you can create bookmarks or add new links. You can also create or join groups on their platform as they allow you to get an aggregated view of its members’ posts.
You can use BibSonomy to collect academic publications and bookmarks. Also, you can collaborate with your colleagues and discover exciting articles or links for your DRily work.
Pearltrees is a free curation platform that allows you to save everything including web pages, files, photos, videos, notes, and more. You can also access your saved collections from anywhere such as desktops, tablets, and smartphones.
It also offers a Chrome extension to save anything online and you can easily discover interesting content in your areas of interest.
DZone is a social bookmarking site for software developers where you can find tutorials on programming, web development, and DevOps news. If you’re running a technology or programming-related website, you should definitely join DZone.
DZone is the biggest platform for software developers for knowledge sharing. It is currently used by over 1 million members and you can find a ton of tutorials and tools for beginners to experts for free.
Twitter is one of the most popular microblogging and social networking sites where users can post (popular as tweets), share stories, and interact with others on DM (direct messages).
Twitter has over 330 million monthly active users and 145 million DRily users. You can sign up using your email address and once you’ve created an account, you can add your website in your bio.
Medium is an online publishing platform developed by Evan Williams and launched in 2012 and it quickly gained popularity among publishers, writers, and bloggers across the world.
Currently, Medium has over 170 million readers worldwide where they read content and writers create blog posts. You can also make money from your writing by joining their Partner Program.
Instagram is a famous photo and video sharing social networking service owned by Facebook and it was launched by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger in 2010.
Did you know that over 1 billion people use Instagram every month? Also, there are over 500 million people use Instagram Stories every single DRy which makes it one of the most popular photo and video sharing social networks in the world.
Looking for more high DR social bookmarking sites to submit your blog? Here are a few more bookmarking sites you can use.
- Flipboard (DR:88, Ahrefs Rank 2,342)
- Pinboard (DR:80, Ahrefs Rank 12,665)
- Instapaper (DR:82, Ahrefs Rank 7,814)
- Listly (DR:77, Ahrefs Rank 22,509)
- Dotnetkicks (DR:62, Ahrefs Rank 212,020)
- Sitejot (DR:69, Ahrefs Rank 114,315)
- TechDirt (DR:81, Ahrefs Rank 10,242)
- MetaFilter (DR:78, Ahrefs Rank 20,593)
- Steemit (DR:84, Ahrefs Rank 4,969)
- LiveJournal (DR:86, Ahrefs Rank 3,517)
- Tumblr (DR:94, Ahrefs Rank 52)
- Myspace (DR 92, Ahrefs Rank 270)
- Minds (DR 81, Ahrefs Rank 9,282)
- Netvouz (DR 73, Ahrefs Rank 55,175)
- VK (DR 95, Ahrefs Rank 33)
- Instructables (DR 89, Ahrefs Rank 2,064)
- Skyrock (DR 70, Ahrefs Rank 91,506)
- Behance (DR 94, Ahrefs Rank 97)
- JustPaste.it (DR 78, Ahrefs Rank 20,407)
- N4G (DR 75, Ahrefs Rank 35,358)
- TechSmith Screencast (DR 86, Ahrefs Rank 3,564)
- Product Hunt (DR:90, Ahrefs Rank 1,277)
- Gab (DR:83, Ahrefs Rank 7,092)
Most people have a common question: is social bookmarking still relevant in 2022? Yes, it is as bookmarking is still one of the major factors which works extremely great for SEO.
Whether you know it or not search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc want to give highly relevant, fresh, and updated results to the users, and bookmarking sites like Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit, etc provide the exact stuff.
In a nutshell, these bookmarking sites help you go viral online, increase traffic, build your online brand and improve your overall search rankings.
So if you want to get a boost in your backlink profile, organic reach, and improvement in your search rankings, make sure to start using social sharing sites.
Let’s now discuss the pros and cons of using social sharing (Bookmarking) sites in 2022 and beyond.
Here are some of the pros of using these sites:
- It is great for bringing more traffic from relevant people as most people who go through such bookmarking sites usually seek information around their interested topics
- The #1 reason most bloggers use these sites is for building links as most of these bookmarking sites are free to sign up and you can post your blog post links without any moderation and they will go live on their platforms almost instantly which makes it easier to generate links for your site
- These sites create a ton of exposure to your content because you’ll be bookmarking your own links forever so they get you more eyeballs to read your stuff
- Social bookmarking is NOT a black hat SEO technique, it’s purely considered as white hat SEO technique which is great for your site’s SEO if done carefully
- These sites help you with your sites indexing. When you post across such bookmarking sites, search engine crawlers quickly index your latest posts which is great in terms of SEO
- Last but not least, social bookmarking is the easiest thing to do. Just sign up, login to your account, submit your links and you’re job is done!
Here are some of the cons of using these sites:
- The traffic coming from most of these sites is mostly useless as majority of the people for example coming from sites like Digg click on your link, skim through your content and exit your site without clicking on any other pages of your site. This actually often leads to higher bounce rates and lesser dwell time which can hurt your overall website’s SEO in the long run.
- There are hundreds of these sites that lets you post your links but most of them are of low quality. By using such sites, you’re actually hurting your site’s SEO, so it’s better you stick to only few sites with high authority (you can check few quality DR bookmarking sites above)
- If you’re not careful and posting almost every blog post you share with the same title and meta description on all the bookmarking sites, it can hurt you more than help. So make sure to add unique titles and descriptions.
If you’re still wondering about how you can use these sites to get more traffic and improve your SERP results in SEO, just read on.
How to drive traffic from bookmarking sites
If you’re curious to use these bookmarking sites to drive traffic to your sites, here’s ONE tip that you always need to remember: be SOCIAL.
Most people use social bookmarking websites just for the sake of posting links. They forget the basic thing that they are meant for social interaction.
So if you’re using these sites to increase your website traffic, you need to be social. Here are a few ways you can do that to bring more visitors to your site.
- Be generous in promoting others
- Communicate with other people
- Promote interesting and useful content
In a nutshell, if you want to drive traffic from these sites, you need to focus on others instead of self-promotion. That’s when other people will also reciprocate the same by sharing, upvoting, and linking back to your content which will get better results in generating more traffic.
The impact of bookmarking for SEO: Is it good or bad?
Many people have a common question that whether social bookmarking is still relevant or not. Whether bookmarking is good for SEO or not. Let me tell you one thing, most of the top DR bookmarking sites are good to go.
Just make sure NOT to use too many bookmarking sites which are filled with spammy links, it’s better to avoid submitting your links and bookmarks on such sites if you want to stay safe from all the future algorithm updates from Google. So they are not toxic if you’re following the right strategy which is mentioned below.
If you’re interested in bookmarking your latest blog posts to get more exposure to your content and build quality links, use this 5 steps bookmarking strategy that works like a charm.
1. Don’t just submit links, connect with other people
The biggest mistake most people make while bookmarking online is they simply submit their blog post links and do nothing else. That’s a BIG mistake if you want to get traffic and SEO benefits.
You need to be social, you need to be engaging with other bloggers or people who are sharing similar stuff as you, and you need to cross-promotions in order to get the best results using these sites.
If you’re using these sites only to post links, you’re not going to get anything. It’s as simple as that.
2. Promote others as well
The best part about using bookmarking sites is you’ll find a ton of links, articles, videos, and excellent content ideas from other users worldwide. So you get a chance to interact with them and to promote their content using your profiles.
You can share, comment, upvote, or even link to their best links to promote other people. That way you can quickly build rapport with others which can be later useful for you in terms of getting traffic, links, and leads.
3. Analyse which content will perform best
This is the most important thing you need to always remember: you need to find out which content works great for which bookmarking site.
Not all bookmarking sites are the same as few sites prefer images such as Pinterest and few other platforms require controversial topics (such as Reddit) to go viral online. So whatever bookmarking site you’re going to choose to promote your links, make sure to find out what type of content works best.
4. Find out where your niche audience is engaging
One major drawback with bookmarking sites is that they send you mostly unwanted traffic that usually doesn’t convert. That’s why you need to be extra careful on what platforms you’re going to choose for submitting your links.
If you want to drive highly-qualified visitors using these sites, you need to define your target audience so that you can submit your latest posts only on those sites where your target niche audience spends most of their time online.
5. Follow proper social etiquette
Here are some of the most important things you need to remember to get more out of bookmarking in 2022 and beyond.
- Always remember ONE important thing: add a unique title and description for every bookmarking site where you’re promoting your links (most of these sites pick up the titles and description automatically when you paste the links, just make sure to remove all of it and add unique titles and description to avoid duplicate content issues)
- Use the images, videos or infographics (if any) while sharing your links as most of these platforms allow you to upload images
- Always obey the guidelines of the platform where you’re going to promote your links
- Always make sure to submit only relevant links to communities and relevant groups across these sites
- Last but not least, make sure to upvote, share and comment on other people’s bookmarks if you want to get more engagement on your own links across these sites
Here are some of the dos and don’ts of social bookmarking that you must be aware of.
Do’s of social bookmarking:
- Do share your latest blog post URLs on all the above shared top DR bookmarking sites to gain more exposure and attract links.
- Choose a proper category and submit your blog post URLs in the most appropriate category while submitting on various bookmarking sites as users can navigate and find the RIGHT content in the right category.
- Always make sure to like, share and upvote other people’s social bookmarks and links so you can build a rapport with them which you can later use to get more upvotes and reach for your own site.
- Do work on getting more upvotes, shares and comments on your bookmarks. How frequently other users are engaging with your content plays a big role in getting more exposure to your content and bring more traffic to your site that actually counts.
- Do focus on user engagement while using any of the sites mentioned above, without that, there’s no point of using such sites as the more people share, upvote and comment on your blog entries, the more exposure your content gets. It’s as simple as that.
Don’ts of bookmarking sites:
- Don’t use the same titles or meta description while sharing your latest blog post links across various bookmarking sites as it can be treated as duplicate content.
- Don’t ever post spammy links, advertising pages, paid content such as paid reviews etc across these sites as no one likes to read such promotional stuff online.
- Don’t abuse or troll others while using the above sites. It’s not going to help you in anyway, if you’re not happy with an entry or post, you can report as most sites allow you to do that. If not, you can simply ignore instead of trolling.
- Semrush 30 Day Free Trial Plus Review for 2022
- 5 Conservative Search Engine Alternatives to Google
- Yoast SEO Premium vs Free Plugin: An In-Depth Review
- Best Alternative to KWFinder for Keyword Research
- Ubersuggest vs Semrush: Which SEO Tool Is Worth Trying?
- Best Answer the Public Alternatives for Topic Research
- Most Effective Google Search Tips And Tricks for 2022
- YouTube SEO Tips: 11 Ways to Get Your Videos Noticed
Here are some of the FAQs you must know to properly use social bookmarking sites to improve your backlink profile, website’s organic reach, SEO, and so on.
Yes, social bookmarks are still important and play a major role in terms of increasing your website’s SEO. Although most people are not using them as much as they used to a couple of years ago, they still hold strong organic value, especially in terms of giving you more search exposure, faster indexing, and so on.
Here’s the list of the top 5 bookmarking sites that have more page and link value apart from a higher user base.
→ Mix (previous known as Stumbleupon)
Here are a few of the best ways to build quality links to your site.
→ Writing guest posts for highly relevant and authority sites in your niche
→ Using the skyscraper technique to build links
→ Using broken link-building method
→ Through blogger outreach
→ And the list goes on and on
Bookmarking is often considered an off page SEO technique that helps you build quick links for your site. The great thing about using these sites is they are an easier, faster, and cheaper way to promote your content, engage with others and build links for your site.
Yes and no. Yes, you can get penalized by Google if you are using hundreds of bookmarking sites to post your blog links as there will be a ton of spammy sites that get de-indexed by Google crawlers.
And no, if you’re using it limitedly. That’s the reason why we recommend you pick only a few bookmarking sites with high DR and more user engagement and spend as much time as you can to interact with others by promoting your links.
How to build more quality links in 2022:
- List of free local business listing sites for more exposure
- List of high quality free directory submission sites
- List of High DR blog submission sites for building quality links
- List of blog commenting sites [High DR]
The majority of people (especially bloggers) have ignored bookmarking sites for various reasons. But we highly recommend you to use the top DR bookmarking sites to promote your links whenever you post something new on your blog.
Not only do these sites help you get quick links but also give you an opportunity to engage with other people who have similar interests and to provide more exposure to your content.
Just make sure to avoid the common mistakes that most people do (such as spamming, using the same titles and description for all sites) while submitting their links across these sites for better SEO.
Let us know if you’ve any more questions related to social bookmarking sites in 2022.