Yoast SEO Plugin Review: Is It the No.1 WordPress SEO Plugin?
Are you looking for the Yoast SEO plugin review? Well, you’re in the right place.
Yoast SEO plugin is hands down, one of the most popular WordPress plugins. Just in case, if you don’t know, here are some interesting facts about the Yoast SEO plugin.
- Over 40 million plugin downloads
- WordPress #1 most downloaded plugin
- World’s most popular WordPress SEO plugin
Although there are a ton of ways you can use to bring more search traffic to your sites which include keyword research, backlinks, increasing your site speed etc but on page optimization is one of the most crucial factors when it comes to increasing your site’s organic traffic.
So if you’re wondering about how to properly optimize your content to improve your search rankings, start using Yoast SEO plugin. Here’s the Yoast SEO plugin review that you need to find out what it actually offers.
Table of Contents
- Yoast SEO Plugin Review 2018: Incredible Features of World’s #1 SEO Plugin
- Keyword optimization made easy
- Google preview, readability check and updated for latest Google algorithms
- Not a tech savvy? Don’t worry as Yoast SEO plugin takes care of it
- A ton of incredible features included in the premium version of Yoast SEO
- What about the pricing of Yoast SEO plugin?
- Features list of Yoast SEO plugin
- FAQs About Yoast SEO Plugin Review
- Final thoughts about Yoast SEO plugin review
Yoast SEO Plugin Review 2018: Incredible Features of World’s #1 SEO Plugin
Keyword optimization made easy
The #1 reason people use Yoast SEO plugin is because of its ability to help you easily optimize your content for your primary keyword. It doesn’t matter what keywords you are targeting within your blog’s content, Yoast SEO helps you easily optimize your content.
It helps you with keyword optimization by providing you a “focus keyword”.
A focus keyword is the “primary keyword” that you want to rank for in search engines like Google. For example, if you want to rank for “Yoast SEO plugin”, it becomes the primary “focus keyword” in Yoast SEO plugin.
Here’s how it looks like;
As you can see from the above image, Yoast SEO provides you its own input field for perfect keyword optimization. The Yoast SEO plugin evaluates the page’s content you want to rank for and provides you instant suggestions on how to improve the content for that focus keyword.
These suggestions include 3 primary colors;
- Green (means your content is perfectly optimized)
- Orange (your content is partially optimized and needs more improvements)
- Red (not optimized at all and you should take care of it such as no alt tag, missing internal links, short form of content below 300 words and more)
Important thing to remember
Here’s the most important thing you need to remember while picking a focus keyword to optimize your content for improved search rankings.
Don’t pick a focus keyword just for the sake of it. Instead pick a long tail keyword which has low competition.
For instance, if you’re targeting to rank for a fitness related keyword, pick a long tail keyword such as “fitness apps for beginners” instead of picking “fitness apps”. That way you’ll be able to optimize your content for a long tail keyword so you can get faster rankings in the search results.
Google preview, readability check and updated for latest Google algorithms
Want to know how your blog posts or pages look like in Google before they even start appearing in Google search?
Yoast SEO provides you Google preview while optimizing your content so you can check if your content is properly optimized with the correct length of
- URL and
- Meta description
Here’s how it looks like;
Not only that Yoast plugin also provides you a readability score that helps you find out whether your content is easy to read or not. Here’s how it looks like;
The best part about using Yoast SEO plugin is that it gets updated every 2 weeks for the latest Google algorithms.
Here’s the recent example that explains better about it.
A few weeks ago Google started showing up to 320 characters in the meta description of the search results. Immediately Yoast SEO plugin updated its plugin features to match with 320 characters to perfectly optimize your content.
When Google recently went back to showing 120 characters, Yoast plugin also updated to match with that. So if you’re looking for an incredible SEO plugin that gets updated frequently to match with the latest Google algorithms or changes, this plugin is a great choice.
Not a tech savvy? Don’t worry as Yoast SEO plugin takes care of it
One of the best features of Yoast SEO plugin is that it comes inbuilt with so many technical related configuration that makes it easy especially for non tech savvy people to organise their site for better SEO.
That means, you can simply forget about all the messy technical configuration while using Yoast SEO plugin as it comes pre-installed with the following things.
- Robots.txt: It is a text file bloggers and website owners create to instruct search engine robots how to crawl and index pages on their website pages. That means, you can also use this file for instructing search crawlers what and what not to crawl within your site.
- .htaccess files: It means Hypertext Access file which is a configuration file used by Apache-based web servers that controls the directory that it includes along with all the subdirectories which are presented in that directory. This also helps you create error pages which is better for your website’s SEO.
- Sitemaps: You can use XML Sitemaps section to create XML sitemaps for your blog using Yoast SEO plugin. You will not need to think much about indexing of your latest blog posts as they will be automatically added into your XML Sitemap and will be pinged to Google, Bing, Yahoo and Ask.com automatically. You can ignore certain type of content type that WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin should ignore while creating XML sitemaps for your blog like category pages and tag pages etc.
- Permalinks: From this section, you can force a trailing slash at the category and tag URL level. You can remove the category word from category level URL’s from this section. You can redirect ugly URL’s to much clean permalinks and can do canonical level settings from this section.
Apart from the above technical configuration, Yoast SEO plugin gives you access to a lot of other useful features such as;
100% control over your website’s breadcrumbs where you can set a primary category for your blog posts and determine the taxonomy for every single page on your website for better SEO of your content.
You can also use Yoast SEO plugin to avoid any duplicate content within your website (either similar title tags, meta description, URL and so on) by setting canonical URLs.
In case if you’re wondering about what it is, a canonical tag (rel=”canonical”) is a way of telling search engine crawlers that a specific URL represents the master copy of a page to avoid duplicate content issue.
A ton of incredible features included in the premium version of Yoast SEO
Yoast SEO plugin also offers a premium version which offers exclusive features.
We actually wrote a detailed comparison of Yoast SEO free vs premium version for beginners to understand the primary differences, features, pricing and so on.
Just in case if you’re curious to know about the “exclusive features” that Yoast SEO premium version offers, here are 3 great features which make it worth every penny you pay for.
Internal linking suggestions: Do you want to get suggestions for internal links to other pages within your website as you write your blog posts? No issues, Yoast SEO premium plugin provides you that.
Content insights: Want to create incredible content that performs well? Premium version of Yoast shows you the 5 words or phrases you use the most within your blog posts to check if they’re matching with your chosen keywords so you can rank well in Google.
Redirect manager: More often than not, we delete a lot of pages or blog posts from our sites (which actually leaves broken pages and dead links within your site which is harmful for SEO). With redirect manager from Yoast, you can easily redirect old URLs to new ones so you won’t get 404 Not Found pages. After deleting a post or page, it will ask you what to do with the old URL so you can redirect it to avoid 404 error pages.
What about the pricing of Yoast SEO plugin?
First things first: Yoast SEO plugin comes in two versions
- Free and
- Premium version
Free version is mostly enough for the beginners but if you’re someone who wants to get the most out of Yoast SEO plugin by getting access to the features such as content insights, internal link suggestions etc, grab their premium version (we’re currently using Yoast SEO premium version on this blog btw).
Here’s the pricing structure of Yoast SEO plugin premium version.
- For 1 site $89 for 1 year
- For 2 sites $169.10 for 1 year
- For 3 sites $253.65 for 1 year
- For 4 sites $338.20 for 1 year
- For 5 sites $400.50 for 1 year
- For 10 sites $756.50 for 1 year
Features list of Yoast SEO plugin
In case if you are curious to find out the list of few of the most incredible features that are included in the Yoast SEO plugin, here’s it.
- Keyword optimization
- Readability check
- Provides preview of your page on SEO and social media
- Provides you out of the box technical configuration
- Gets updated very frequently to match with the latest Google algorithms (which is really great)
- Gives you 24/7 customer support (pro feature)
- Easily redirect old URLs to new ones (pro feature)
- Offers you content insights to show you the 5 words or phrases you use the most on your page to ensure if those keywords are perfectly matched with your chosen keywords (pro feature)
- Internal linking suggestions to easily add highly relevant internal links within your content (pro feature)
So what are you waiting for?
Here is a step by step Video tutorial about configuring WordPress SEO Yoast Plugin into your WordPress blog:
Say Goodbye to Some Plugins
Once you are finished with using all of the features that I discussed above about SEO Yoast Plugin, You can say goodbye to some plugins at least. Here is the list of some plugins you can deactivate from your WordPress plugin directory after installing Yoast SEO plugin:
- All in One SEO Pack
- SEO Friendly Titles
- Google XML Sitemaps or similar plugins
- RSS Footer plugin
- SEO Friendly Images Plugin
- Robots Meta Plugin
- Breadcrumbs navigation plugin
- HeadSpace2 SEO plugin
I’m saying all this because WordPress SEO by Yoast Plugin covers most of the features, you will get after installing above 8 SEO plugins.
FAQs About Yoast SEO Plugin Review
Here are few important FAQs you should know about Yoast SEO plugin in 2018 and beyond for better understanding about the widely popular SEO plugin.
#1. What is on page optimization and how does Yoast SEO plugin help me with that?
On page optimization is the process of optimizing your blog content along with your website for improved search traffic. Yoast SEO plugin is an essential plugin which helps you easily optimize your content for your target keywords so you can get better rankings on Google.
#2. Is free version of Yoast SEO plugin good?
Definitely Yoast SEO plugin is more than enough for beginners to improve their website’s SEO. It’s easy to use and even if you’re a beginner, you’ll find it easy to optimize your content.
#3. What’s the difference between Yoast SEO free Vs premium plugin?
We wrote a detailed comparison on Yoast premium vs free where you can find all the major differences between both of their versions. That being said, if you’re serious about getting better search results by getting access to more features such as smart interlinking suggestions, social media preview, content insights and so on, paid version is for you.
#4. Can I use Yoast SEO plugin in WordPress.com site?
No, you can’t. For that matter, you can’t upload any plugin on a WordPress.com site. You need a self-hosted WordPress.org website to be able to use any plugin including Yoast SEO plugin.
#5. I know nothing about using Yoast SEO plugin. How can I get started with it?
Fortunately, Yoast SEO plugin works like a charm out of the box. That means, you don’t have to make any changes, all you need to do is to install and activate the plugin and boom, it works.
But for those who want to better understand about Yoast SEO plugin and want to find more about what it does, you can go through this tutorial by Yoast team itself which is a great learning point for beginners.
Final thoughts about Yoast SEO plugin review
If you want to boost your search rankings and better optimize your content, install Yoast SEO plugin. It’s an essential SEO plugin for all WordPress users.
We hope this Yoast SEO plugin review has helped you why you need to install on your sites to improve your search traffic and SEO. If you still have any questions, let us know in the comments.