Start small. This is the success MANTRA James Clear has been teaching for over a decade.
James Clear is the best-selling author of the book “Atomic Habits: Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results”, which has been sold over 10 million copies.
If you’re looking for the best James Clear quotes about habits, you’re in the right place.
In this post, you’ll discover;
- James Clear atomic habits quotes
- A simple explanation of each of those quotes and much more
Are you curious to discover them all? Let’s jump into the details.
James Clear Quotes from Atomic Habits & Other Sources [Our Handpicked Collection]
1. “If you can get 1% better each day for one year, you’ll end up 37 times better by the time you’re done.”
Key Takeaway: Although the concept of getting “1% better each day” sounds simple, it’s REALLY powerful. The 1% rule simply means that you’re taking steps DAILY to improve yourself, even if it’s in small ways. And over time, those tiny improvements can add up to BIG results.
For example, if you want to lose weight, James Clear suggests you measure your calorie intake. Did you eat 3,500 calories per day last week? Focus on consuming 3,400 per day this week.
2. “It is only when looking back 2, 5, or 10 years later that the value of good habits and the cost of bad ones become strikingly apparent.”
Key Takeaway: Your habits decide your FATE. Here are two real-life examples of good and bad habits (and their impact).
- Good habit: If you start reading for 15 minutes every day, in 5 years, you will have read over 100 books. Reading gives you wisdom and a better understanding of the world.
- Bad habit: If you start smoking cigarettes every day, in 5 years, you will have smoked over 1000 cigarettes. It will not only lead to lung cancer but other serious health problems.
So… change your habits, change your fate.
3. “The 2-step process for exceptional results:
(1) Spend a little time each day thinking about the highest leverage activity available to you.
(2) Spend a little time each day working on it.”
Key Takeaway: For example, if you are a writer, you might spend some time each day thinking about writing a book. Then, you MUST take action.
For example, you might set aside 30 minutes daily to write if you are a writer. Even if you only write 500 words, that is still 15,000 words per month or 180,000 words per year. That is enough to write an entire book!
4. “The myth is that there isn’t enough time. There is plenty of time. There isn’t enough focus with the time you have. You win by directing your attention toward better things.”
Key Takeaway: Everyone has 24 hours in a day. But only a few can manage their time effectively. The key is, what are you focusing on? Your focus determines your life. If you focus on meaningful tasks, you’ll have a happier life.
5. “If you want to be rich, then be kind. It’s hard to create wealth unless you work well with others, and it’s hard to work well with others if you are unlikeable.”
Key Takeaway: People like billionaires like Bill Gates, Ratan Tata, etc, because of their kindness. They always give something back to the society. James Clear believes that you can NEVER be rich if you’re unlikable. You can be likable ONLY if you’re kind.
Take some time each day to be grateful for the good things in your life. This could be anything from your health to your family to your friends.
6. “On the ground, a rock is just a rock. But when moving at high speed through the atmosphere, a rock becomes a meteor—alive with fire and burning bright.
People are not so different. Without activity, we are lifeless and dull. When moving fast and taking action, we come alive.”
Key Takeaway: If you want to create an impact, be passionate about your work. Build some good habits. Here are some tips for building good habits:
- Start small. Don’t try to change too many things at once.
- Be consistent. James Clear recommends that you work on your new habit every day, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- Find someone who can support you in your efforts to build good habits. It could be a friend, a relative, or even a coach.
- Don’t give up. It takes time to build or break habits.
7. “Money plays an important role in life, but it can’t be the only filter for how you decide to spend your time. Nobody will ever pay you to go on a date with your spouse, take your kids to the park, or grab coffee with your parents.”
Key Takeaway: James Clear suggests us to spend quality time with positive people including your family and friends. These people will help you to stay focused on the good things in your life.
No matter how rich you’re, always set aside time for family and do things that make you happy. Make time for activities that you enjoy.
8. “Finish something. Anything. Stop researching, planning, and preparing to do the work and just do the work. It doesn’t matter how good or how bad it is. You don’t need to set the world on fire with your first try. You must prove to yourself that you have what it takes to produce something.”
Key Takeaway: Most of us NEVER get ahead in life because we spend most time on planning and never on implementation.
Set deadlines for yourself, instead on research. It will help you to stay on track and to avoid procrastination. Make sure to reward yourself for your progress as it will keep you motivated to get things done.
9. “Life rewards courage. The person who is brave enough to bet on something or someone—as long as they avoid irreversible mistakes like running out of cash or going to jail—is in a position to win.”
Key Takeaway: Successful people take courageous decisions in spite of fear. If you’re willing to step outside of your comfort zone and take risks, you’ll be successful.
James Clear is the BEST example of it. He started as a blogger. He took risks, published a book and created a HUGE impact on millions of people with his work.
10. “Don’t rush, but don’t wait. Act urgently, but release yourself from the need to achieve it on a particular timeline. When you think longer term than most, you can think bigger than most. If it takes years, start now.”
Key Takeaway: A lot of beginners often ask us one question: “I want to quit blogging because I don’t get enough traffic.” Most beginners give up within a few months if they don’t see desired results. James suggest us NOT to rush on a few things. It takes time to build successful businesses. If something takes years, start working on it TODAY!
11. “Many people are not ready for their lucky break when it comes to them. Develop your skills. Study your craft. Save some money. Build a network before you need it. Lay the groundwork. The prepared person is positioned to benefit from unexpected opportunities.”
Key Takeaway: Most people are reactive when it comes to life and business. It’s always better to be proactive. Be prepared for worst outcomes so you can overcome them when they arise.
Ask yourself questions like “What are the worst things that could happen?”. Once you know what they are, you can start to plan for them. You can effectively deal with the worst case scenaries when you’re prepared for them well in advance.
12. “Do not confuse things that are hard with valuable things. Many things in life are hard. Just because you are giving a great effort does not mean you are working toward a great result. Make sure that mountain is worth climbing.”
Key Takeaway: Getting in shape is hard. Building a six-figure business is hard. Staying mentally happy is hard. All the BEST things that are worth are hard. However, the rewards of achieving these difficult things are often worth the effort.
13. “Goals are good for setting a direction but systems are best for making progress.”
Key Takeaway: Build systems if you want to succeed. Setting goals don’t get you anywhere, but the systems will.
Here is an example of setting a system, not a goal:
- Goal: I want to lose 10 kgs in 6 months
- System: I will burn 1000 calories a day and avoid eating rice
14. “If you want to predict where you’ll end up in life, all you have to do is follow the curve of tiny gains or tiny losses and see how your daily choices will compound 10 or 20 years down the line.”
Key Takeaway: Always set SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound) goals.
Here are some other examples of SMART goals:
- Specific: Improve our website’s keyword rankings for our top 10 target keywords by 5 positions.
- Measurable: Track keyword rankings using tools like Semrush.
- Achievable: We have over 10+ years in SEO and we are confident that we can improve our rankings.
- Relevant: Improving our keyword rankings is important for our business because it will generate more traffic and sales.
- Time-bound: We will achieve this goal within 6 months.
15. “Focus starts with elimination, improves with concentration, and compounds with continuation.”
Key Takeaway: Focus is the KEY to success. If you want to focus on something, you must first eliminate distractions. Once you eliminate distractions, you can focus on the task.
The more you focus on the task (or project), the better results you’ll get.
FAQs on James Clear Quotes
Here are some commonly asked questions about James Clear.
“You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.” – Atomic Habits, James Clear.
James Clear is known for his best-selling book “Atomic Habits,” which is sold over 10 million copies worldwide. The book offers a proven framework for building good habits.
The 1% rule is all about building small habits and making big plans. Here’s how James Clear explains the 1% rule.
1) Keep your daily actions small. Strive to get 1% better every day.
2) Keep your daily mindset big. Think about how you can play a bigger game.
An atomic habit is a regular practice or daily routine that is not only small and easy to do but can transform your life in the long run. Practicing meditation for 5 minutes is an example of an atomic habit.
Yes, Atomic Habits is one of the must-read books on habit formation. If you want to build new habits or break bad habits, this book gives you a framework for making small changes that can often lead to significant results.
- Top 13 Most Profitable Niches That Really Make Money
- 15 Most Famous Digital Marketing Quotes
- 25 Simon Sinek Quotes on Leadership
Final thoughts on Atomic Habit Quotes
James Habit ALWAYS suggests that making tiny changes in habits can lead to BIG results.
But here’s the thing: getting 1% better daily is a marathon, not a sprint. There will be days when you don’t feel like doing anything. But it’s essential to keep going, even when it’s tough.
Did you find our favorite collection of James Clear quotes helpful? What did you learn from James? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.