Are you creating new blog posts day-in and day-out but not seeing any results?
You’re not a lone. I’ve been there. It’s frustrating for any blogger who creates content regularly but not seeing any growth in the blog’s traffic and sales.
Here’s where you should remember one thing: Google won’t send you any traffic just because you’re creating new content. You should do proper keyword research.
You must target at least 1 or 2 keyword phrases for every blog post you write. Only then, you can get massive traffic from search engines to your sites.
When it comes to keyword research, one thing plays a key role: using tools. And there are so many tools out there for doing keyword research. Out of them, two tools are highly useful, one is SEMrush and the other is keyword planner.
In this detailed guide, let’s talk about both SEMrush and keyword planner for find highly profitable keywords for any niche. Are you ready? Let’s get into the details.
Table of Contents
- How to use SEMrush & Keyword Planner for finding high paying keywords in 2019
- Step by by step tutorial to find great keywords using SEMrush in 2019
- How to use keyword planner for finding high paying keywords
How to use SEMrush & Keyword Planner for finding high paying keywords in 2019
I don’t know how many times I’ve talked about SEMrush. It’s the #1 SEO tool that you can use to do almost everything from keyword research to backlink analysis to competitor’s research.
Here’s a detailed review of SEMrush where you can find all the benefits of using it to boost your search traffic, backlinks and sales.
As our topic is just related to keyword research so we’ll only talk about how you can use SEMrush for finding highly profitable keywords in 2019 and beyond.
Step by by step tutorial to find great keywords using SEMrush in 2019
If you’re new to SEMrush tool, you might have few questions in mind so let’s talk about them first.
What is SEMrush?
SEMrush is an all in one SEO tool used by SEO enthusiasts and bloggers all over the world to bring more traffic from search engines to their sites. SEMrush combines a lot of databases data to give you accurate keyword research details.
SEMrush is currently used by over 1 million people and it has more than 220 million keywords data which comes from 30 geo databases and it has the information of over 130 million domains worldwide.
Why should you start using SEMrush?
SEMrush is the top recommended tool by SEO experts. Even if you are a beginner, you can become an SEO expert by using it (not exaggerating). It’s the perfect tool for all your SEO needs. It helps you do the following things with ease.
- Competitor’s research
- Backlink analysis
- Keyword research
- Domain comparison
- Find out traffic of any site
- Content research
- Site audit to know your site issues and many more
So what are you waiting for?
Let’s now talk about how you can use SEMrush tool for finding profitable keywords in any niche in 2019 and beyond. Are you ready?
Quick help: To begin with this tutorial, you need an account with SEMrush. If you don’t have an account yet, you can use this link to get 30 day free trial with SEMrush.
Step 1: Go to SEMrush dashboard. Click on Overview under the Keyword Analytics tool. Here’s how it looks like.
As you can also see other things like phrase match, related keywords, ads history, keyword difficulty, SEO keyword magic etc in the keyword analytics tool, we’ll discuss about them in the same post.
Step 2: Now that you are on keyword analytics tool, you can either enter a domain name or keyword and click on search to find all the details about your input. Let’s first enter a keyword phrase to find the details of all the relevant keywords that you can use to rank higher on Google.
In this example, I’m talking “keyword research” as the primary keyword to target and here’s what SEMrush can do for you!
Did you see that? For the keyword “keyword research” phrase, the monthly organic search volume is around 4,400. That means over 4000 people are searching for that phrase on Google.
But here’s the thing. Don’t pick a keyword that has more than 2,000 monthly search volume.
Why? The simple reason is, it’s really difficult to rank for high competitive keywords. It takes a lot of time, efforts and backlinks to really get high rankings for competitive keywords. So avoiding anything above 2000 monthly searches can give you quick results and traffic.
Step 3: As we discussed in the above step, pick the keywords that have 2000 or less monthly searches so you can get higher search rankings and Google. Here’s how you can pick less competitive keywords with SEMrush.
See that? SEMrush gives you access to two type of keywords.
- Phrase match keywords (which contain your primary keyword along with other phrases)
- Related keywords (relevant keywords to your primary keyword)
Now, let’s talk about each one of them so you will get a better idea about what keywords to pick to get better search rankings from Google.
Step 4: Firstly, let’s talk about the “phrase match keywords” given by SEMrush. Make sure to click on “view full report” to get all the keywords.
Here’s what I got from SEMrush phrase match keywords data.
As you can see from the above image, that the keywords in highlighted box are really great keywords that you can use to get rankings really quickly. All of them are low competitive keywords so you can get #1 rankings with proper on-page SEO and backlinks.
Likewise, you can also arrange the results using KD (Keyword Density) instead of volume. The less KD a keyword has the easier it is to rank for on Google.
Step 5: Now, let’s talk about how you can use “relevant keywords” data from SEMrush to pick highly profitable keywords in any niche.
Again, as I said before, don’t go for highly competitive keywords. Instead choose keywords with monthly volume around 2000 searches so you can easily rank for those keywords with less efforts.
You can also pick those keywords with high CPC so not only you get better rankings but more sales from your content.
So there you go! That’s how you can use SEMrush tool for finding low competitive yet highly profitable keywords.
What else can you do with SEMrush for keyword research?
You can find ads copies of your competitor’s
For our example keyword phrase “keyword research”, here are the ads copies.
You can check organic search results for your targeted keywords
For our example keyword, here are the top 10 search results. You can analyze the top ranking results so you will have a better idea about what you can do to get first page rankings for your desired keywords.
From finding low competitive keywords to relevant keywords to keyword analysis, SEMrush can help you easily boost your search traffic and sales.
So what are you waiting for? Give SEMrush tool a try once (use this link to get 30 days free trial) and get top search results.
Let’s now talk about the free tool Google’s keyword planner for finding great keywords.
How to use keyword planner for finding high paying keywords
Writing great content and still not seeing your page in search engine results? Did you analyze where it went wrong? If not, hold on for a second and analyze NOW.
Google loves keywords. It will increase your page rank if you do proper keyword research and use them in your content. You must do enough keyword research before writing content and make sure that you use those keywords in your post title, tags and in content. Without that, it’s almost impossible to rank on Google.
Fortunately, Google makes it simple for you with Google keyword planner. Well how to use keyword planner to do keyword research? What it is anyway?
What is Google Keyword Planner?
It is a tool that gives the best keyword suggestions for your business. You will be able to find out what keywords are popular in your blog niche with the helps of Google keyword planner.
It helps in analyzing list of keywords. It’s the perfect tool for beginners and SEO starters who want to find profitable keywords without spending more time and money.
Why you should use keyword planner tool?
There are a lot of keyword research tools out there ranging from free to premium. But keyword planner has never lost its charm. Without knowing what keywords are searched heavily, your blog will never get organic search traffic. Keyword research plays an important role if you are aiming to become a successful blogger.
keywords are the backbone for any business. You need to know what keywords has less competition to increase your brand in the digital world.
So, why should you use keyword planner?
- To find out what keywords can get more back links
- To find out which keywords are searched most
- To find out less competitive keywords in your niche
- To get traffic estimation of your target keyword
Now, let’s quickly talk about a step by step tutorial on how you can use Google’s keyword planner for finding highly profitable keywords in any niche.
Step-by-step guide to use Google keyword planner for keyword research
1. Create Google adwords account
To start using keyword planner, you must have Google Adwords account (and it’s free to use).
- Go to Google keyword planner and set up Adwords account if you don’t have one.
- Once set up, login to Google Adwords account, click on “Tools” and select “Keyword planner‘.
- Under Google keyword planner, there are again 3 tools for keyword research
Here’s how it looks like (once you’ve set up a free account on AdWords).
Let’s see what tool to select and what happens with each tool.
2. Select Tool
Now select the tool “search for new keywords using a phrase, website or category” for keyword research and you will be displayed several options.
You need to carefully fill out these as based on this information only you will get awesome keyword ideas.
- Under “Enter one or more of the following”, enter at least 3 keywords in “your product or service”. For example, you are running a health blog, in that case instead of giving health as keyword, specify “weight loss diet” or “Raw pineapple recipes” …something like this. Mention at least 3 keywords of your niche.
- Under “Your landing page”, specify your blog homepage
- Next is “Your product category”, here is the place where it helps to find extra keywords that probably you missed as you can access Google’s internal database of keywords.
- Once you are done with filling the above, check “Targeting” option. It automatically sets your country and language but however, you can specify it more clearly. Negative keywords are those that doesn’t need advertisation.
- You can customize your research. To do this edit keyword filters option and specify monthly searches. Don’t go beyond 2000 monthly searches.
- Leave the “keyword options” as it is.
- If you have specific keywords that you want to mention, specify it under “Keywords to include”.
Once you are done filling, click on “Get ideas” and it takes you to “Keyword results page‘“
You can also use the tool called “Get search volume data and trends”.
If you want keyword ideas, don’t use this tool. Select this tool only if you have already list of keywords and if you want to know how many people search for those keywords.
There is an option where you can upload file with list of keywords using “choose file” option.
Click on “Get search volume” to know how many people are searching for that keyword.
There is one last tool “Multiple keywords lists to get new keyword ideas”, let’s see what is this tool for.
If you are dealing with ecommerce site then this tool helps in getting the combination of different keywords that people look for. This tool groups several keywords and gives us all types of combinations that people search for.
Add set of keywords in “List 1”, “List 2”, “List 3” , once done click on “Get search volume” and it will display the different combination of keywords.
3. Filter out keyword ideas
Whatever the tool you select, it will take you to “Keyword results page”. If you got lots and lots of keywords still you can filter here too.
You will see two tabs in this page, one is “Ad group ideas” and next one is “Keyword ideas”. The one important point that not to be ignored is “Ad group ideas”. You will get great keywords from this too.
One key point here is, higher the “suggested bid” you mention, more the lucrative information.
4. Finding the best keywords for your niche
Well, we have seen about every tool but out of all, the best tool in Google keyword planner is “search for new keywords using a phrase, website or category”.
By using this tool, you can find the best keywords for your niche.
We will see with an example. Say you are running an eCommerce site that sells bakery items. If you use keyword “cake” it is too broad and you shouldn’t use. If you use keyword “Dark themed cake with knot” it is too narrow.
What to use? You can give something like “chocolate avocado cake” under field “Your product or service” and click “Get ideas”.
Make sure to select “Medium” competition under keyword filters so you will be getting medium to low competitive keywords which you can use to easily get higher rankings.
After that click on the tab “Keyword ideas” to find the high profitable keywords in your niche.
The highlighted keywords are good to use with medium to low competition.
Now, you have a lot of keywords. Which one to choose?
Based on three factors:
- Search volume: Choose the one with low search volume (between 500 to 2000 monthly searches.
- Suggested bid: If you give high suggested bid while generating keyword ideas, it will be easy to choose the keywords with highest CPC.
- Keyword competition: You need to evaluate your competitor keywords too. There are tools for that, I highly recommend SEMrush for competitor’s research as it gives accurate data.
5. Observe search volume for each keyword
To get exact monthly searches, there is a small trick.
Choose one keyword under “keyword (by relevance)”, click “add to plan”. Here in the right hand sidebar, click “Review plan”, specify high suggested bid more than $150 for the keyword you choose.
Under the tab “keyword”, click on “impressions” That is the exact number of people searching for that keyword. That way you can easily use Keyword Planner for finding highly profitable keywords in any niche.
6. Analyze keyword competition
Analyze your keywords competition. You can do that through Page Authority and Domain Authority.
- Install free browser toolbar “Mozbar”. Install and activate it.
- Whenever you search in Google, this toolbar displays PA (Page Authority) and DA (Domain Authority) of each link in search page results.
- If you go for premium, you can check for number of referring domains for each link.
To analyze more and to know how each site secured first place in Google search results:
- Copy any of the URL that is displayed in the first page of the search results.
- Now, paste the URL in SEMrush.
- Check backlinks of that site under “backlinks” in the sidebar.
- It displays from where they are getting links.
Always create quality content that it self one of the great contributing factors to boost your page rank in SERP (Search Engine Results Page). So there you go. That’s how you can use keyword planner for doing keyword research.
Without knowing proper keywords for your sites, it’s not possible to get more search traffic. You must know popular keywords and search volume to boost your page rankings in search engine results. Only then it becomes easier for you to increase your traffic and more importantly sales.
SEMrush Vs Keyword planner
SEMrush can be useful for getting everything for keyword research. Using SEMrush keyword research tool you can do the following things.
- Keyword research is extremely easy
- Finding relevant keywords and phrase match keywords is too easy
- Finding monthly volume for each keyword (it gives you accurate results mostly) is easy
- Their keyword data gets updated frequently
- It’s interface is easy to use and doesn’t take much time to get the most out of it
Keyword planner is useful for starters.
- Keyword planner is free
- Used by millions of people so it’s always difficult to find low competitive keywords
- No regular updates
- Their results are not so accurate as SEMrush
- It takes time to get the best results from it
Browse more SEMrush Tutorials:
- How to use SEMrush to find profitable keywords?
- How to increase Google Adsense earning using SEMrush?
- How to use SEMrush to steal competitors search traffic and rankings?
- How to find traffic generating blog post ideas using SEMrush?
- How to do a Site Audit using SEMrush tool?
- How to quickly increase blog traffic using SEMrush tool?
Final thoughts about using SEMrush and Keyword Planner for keyword research
When it comes to increase your search traffic, keyword research plays a huge role. But getting access to the right tools is the key here.
Here’s where the keyword research tools like SEMrush and keyword planner come into handy. One is premium tool and the other is free. Both are great for beginners but if you want to get in-depth details and if you want to master keyword research, SEMrush is definitely for you.
So what are you thinking? Are you going to take keyword research more seriously from now on? Did you find this guide on using SEMrush and keyword planner for keyword research useful? Do let me know your thoughts in the comments.