Moz vs SEMRush
Product Name: Moz or SEMrush
If you are a blogger or marketer, you should give a try to SEMrush and if you are a small business owner, you can give a try to Moz SEO tool. Both the tools offer free trial. So no risk involved.
Are you looking for an honest comparison between Moz vs SEMrush? You’re in the right place.
If you’re looking for an all in one SEO toolkit, both SEMrush and Moz are great tools as they offer amazing features (at almost similar pricing).
So picking the RIGHT SEO tool among them is definitely a daunting task. So in this post, let’s talk about both of their features, pricing, pros, cons etc and the unique benefits so you can easily decide which one you should go for.
That being said, we HIGHLY recommend you to give a try to both these tools before investing your money. Here are the quick links to both these tools trial versions (free for 30 days). So grab them and get a feel of both the tools.
- Grab SEMrush Pro FREE Account for 30 Days (worth $99.95)
- Grab Moz Pro FREE Account for 30 Days (worth $99)
|Which is Best SEO Tool?||SEMrush Pro||Moz Pro|
|No. of Keywords Tracked||500 Keywords||300 Keywords|
|No. of Pages Crawled||100,000||100,000|
|Is Site Audit available?||Yes||Yes|
|Suitable for||Beginners, SEOs, bloggers, marketers and agencies||Mostly SEO experts and SEO agencies|
|Get Your Free Trial|
Without much ado, let’s dive into the details of Moz vs SEMrush review.
Table of Contents
- Moz vs SEMrush: Which Is the BEST SEO Tool for 2020?
- Major Differences Between SEMrush vs Moz
- Why Use SEMrush?
- Why Use Moz Pro?
Moz vs SEMrush: Which Is the BEST SEO Tool for 2020?
Moz vs SEMrush: Features Comparison
Moz is an advanced SEO toolset and their pricing starts at $99/mo which is backed by the largest community of SEOs whereas SEMrush is an all in one SEO toolkit and their pricing starts at $99.95/mo which is used by over 4 million people worldwide.
Although Moz and SEMrush are both SEO toolkits but SEMrush offers even more useful tools when compared to Moz. So let’s first have a look at all the features of SEMrush vs Moz.
List of SEMrush features:
- Organic research which helps you easily find your competitors top performing keywords, new competitors, analyse domain position changes and so on
- Backlink too which helps you perform deep link analysis of any website
- Keyword research tool helps you find the right keywords for SEO and PPC campaigns
- Traffic Analytics tool helps you find any website’s traffic and monitor their strategies
- Market Explorer helps you analyze new markets and niches
- Domain vs domain comparison
- Keyword Magic tool which helps you find over 2 million keyword ideas
- Site Audit tool helps you check your site’s health, find all your site issues and fix them
- Social media tracker
- Brand Monitoring
- On-page SEO checker
- Advertising research tool to find your competitors ad copies and strategies
Click here to try SEMrush FREE for 30 days (Worth $99.95)
List of Moz features:
- Offers proprietary metrics like Page Authority (PA), Domain Authority (DA), and Spam Score which are extremely useful for all kinds of bloggers and marketers to analyse the popularity of a site
- Better keyword volume and difficulty metrics
- Save keyword lists that you can track whenever you want
- Track your keyword rankings both local and national searches
- Search Visibility score gives you a holistic view of how you rank for your keywords (great feature for SEO nerds)
- Audit feature is excellent as you can easily find all the website issues and fix them
- Offers recommendations to improve your on-page optimization
- The ability to create custom reports
Click here to try Moz Pro FREE for 30 days (Worth $99)
Major Differences Between SEMrush vs Moz
- Only 300 keyword rankings are allowed in Moz Pro whereas SEMrush allows you to track up to 500 keywords (with daily updates).
- The dashboard of SEMrush offers you more data than Moz Pro
Now let the debate between the two amazing tools SEMrush and Moz begin. If you are blogging for a while and not under the rock for last few years, you might be already aware of two incredible SEO tools, Moz and SEMrush.
These two SEO tools are definiltely worth every single penny. They are so simple to use that even a non-tech savvy will find them really easy to grow their rankings to make more sales and spy on their competitors.
SEMrush Dashboard Overview (With Pros & Cons)
Here’s how the SEMrush dashboard looks like;
As you can see above, from domain overview to backlink gap to position tracking, you can find literally do almost any SEO related task using SEMrush.
Pros of SEMrush:
- With 128,000,000+ domains and 120,000,000+ keywords in its 29 databases, this is the best SEO tool to increase your SEO strategy.
- You will find almost every tool that helps you improve your SEO from finding keywords to backlink analysis to keyword position tracking. It covers every thing.
- It allows you to check Domain Vs Domain metrics which is really helpful for competing with your competitors.
- You can track your competitors and consequently improve your own SEO ranking.
- It provides more competitive data and each keyword is backed by a long history like how popular it is, who has used it, what is its value, and so on.
- It’s AdSense Publishers Report enables you to discover where exactly your competitors are advertising.
- You get an estimation of how much your competitor might be spending on AdWords in comparison to Product Listing Ads (PLAs).
- If you want to know how good or bad a website is performing on Google, then use SEMrush’s site audit tool and you will get all the site issues.
Cons of SEMrush:
- Even with Moz Pro base plan, 2 users can access the same account (whereas SEMrush base plan allows only 1 user)
- You can track up to 5 sites with Moz whereas SEMrush base plan offers only 3 sites
Moz Pro Dashboard Overview (With Pros & Cons)
Here’s how the Moz Pro dashboard looks like;
Moz Pro offers a ton of tools including keyword research, custom reports, site crawl, page optimization etc (as shown above).
Pros of Moz
- The analytics and results that Moz provides are very detailed and helpful.
- Moz helps to improve your search traffic, rankings and keyword visibility.
- Its spam score will help you to find potentially spam links on your websites.
- It offers 30 day free trial so that you can explore all of its features.
- Moz pro helps you to uncover lots of quality link building sources that you can increase your traffic to your blog.
- Helpful community and forums. Have any issue in using the Moz tools? Just ask your question in Moz forums and you will get awesome responses. If you are a beginner, what can you expect more?
- Moz continues to update their tools and adding more features to their list. This will certainly help SEO guys to boost their SEO rankings.
Cons of Moz
- It has many great features which are highly useful. It may take a while to figure out all of its functionality when you first get started. Once you figure it out, it will be a lifesaver.
- The pricing starts at $99. At the similar pricing, you can get a ton of more features from SEMrush.
SEMrush pricing plans start at $99.95 per month and go all the way up to $399.95. You can save up to 16% when you go with their annual plans.
Want a 30 day SEMrush free trial?
Click here to grab 30 days FREE trial of SEMrush (Worth $99.95)
Moz Pro Pricing
Moz Pro pricing plans start at $99 per month and go all the way up to $599 per month. You can save up to 20% when you pay yearly.
Want a free 30 day trial version of Moz?
Click here to grab 30 days FREE trial of Moz Pro (Worth $99)
Keyword Research Overview of SEMrush vs Moz
Here’s how the keyword research tool on SEMrush looks like;
As you can see above, you’ll find a ton of keyword data including search volume, paid search data, CPC, keyword suggestions, keyword trends.
You’ll also find;
- Phrase match keywords (with volume, CPC, SERP)
- Related keywords (with volume, CPC, SERP)
Here’s how the Moz Pro keyword tool looks like;
As you can see above, you’ll get keyword data including monthly volume, keyword difficulty, organic CTR along with keyword suggestions and SERP analysis.
Site Audits Overview of SEMrush vs Moz
Here’s how the site audits look like in SEMrush;
As you can see above, you can get a full health score of your site along with;
- Warnings and
It also gives you suggestions on how to fix all your site issues to improve your site’s health score for better SEO performance.
Here’s how the site audits look like in Moz Pro;
Similar to SEMrush site audit tool, Moz Pro also offers site crawl tool which helps you easily find and fix all your site issues including missing H1 tags, alt tags, lengthy URLs and so on.
Here’s how the backlink analysis tool look like in SEMrush;
You can find all the backlink sources of your competitors (along with new and lost links) as seen above.
Here’s how the Link Research look like in Moz Pro;
Moz Link research tool also offers you extensive data where you can discover any site’s link along with new and lost links.
Why Use SEMrush?
SEMrush is your all-in-one SEO tool that helps you find profitable keywords and crush your competitors by spying on their keywords, backlinks, traffic and ad strategies.
If you want to outrank your competitors, this is the only tool we recommend.
We’ve been using it for the last 4 years and extremely satisfied with the results so far. SEMrush not only helped us grow our site’s search traffic by 15% just within 30 days but it also helping us to analyze our keyword positions properly.
SEMrush databases are updated very frequently, and that’s the one reason why you get accurate data.
If you’re looking for the RIGHT tool among Moz vs SEMrush and looking for a better tool to know what keywords your competitors are ranking for along with their traffic, backlink sources etc – SEMrush is the perfect tool for you. Here are a few major benefits of using SEMrush over Moz Pro.
1. In-depth backlink analysis
You can easily conduct a deep backlink analysis using SEMrush. Baclinks are votes, the more you have the more better rankings you will get. But you need to find a way to deeply analyze backlinks of your competitors if you want to uncover few link building strategies, here’s where this tool helps you!
You can conduct deep analysis and know what kind of links are pointed towards your website. It’s effective backlink checker helps you to keep a check on incoming links, how authoritative it is and so on.
It’s report helps you to improve the quality of backlink you receive and also discover new referral traffic sources. Here’s a simple screenshot that tells you how you can do backlink analysis with SEMrush in this Moz Vs SEMrush comparison.
Here are the few things that this tool will help you:
- You can know whether the backlinks you received are genuine or spam.
- You can know from which location you have been referred.
- You will get all information like, from where your competitors are getting strong and authoritative backlinks.
2. Find the best performing keywords in ANY niche
Now, finding profitable keywords is easy with SEMrush. Go to SEMrush dashboard, you will find “keyword research” tab at the left side. Enter the keyword and it gives you a detailed list of all the keyword ideas along with the monthly search volume.
Want to find keywords with less competition? This is the right tool for you to find the most profitable keywords in any niche. Find out how you can gather profitable keywords with SEMrush. Without a doubt, SEMrush offers you the best features to find golden keywords no matter what niche you are in. Not only that, you will get a full data over what keywords to use including their monthly search volume.
Along with that, their “Phrase Match” report gives you a full analysis on the CPC of the keyword you target along with the monthly volume and the trend of that particular over time.
It also gives you a list of all the organic search results that are ranking at the top of Google. So that you will understand whether continue to focus on using the keywords you are targeting or not.
Here are the few things you can get:
- It will give the complete list of best keywords related to your niche.
- You can explore keywords that are region specific.
- It displays Match keywords as well as phrases. You can also know about other related keywords.
3. Find advertising opportunities
There are sites that pay for the traffic you get, through Google Adwords. If you could find those companies then you could make money by suggesting them to put their ads on your site directly.
SEMrush looks at all the keywords you are ranking for and then identifies companies that are advertising based on these keywords and displays them in a chart.
This is what you can see in the chart:
- Domain: This is the website that is paying for the traffic
- Common keywords: They bid on these keywords that you happen to rank for.
- Ads keywords: They target these keywords.
- Ads traffic: The traffic generated from these ads.
- Ads traffic price: The cost of driving this traffic.
So, start searching some relevant companies and approach them to know whether they are interested in putting ads on your site. If they are spending a lot of money advertising for keywords you already rank for, then that will be huge benefit to you.
Here are few more ways SEMrush helps you.
SEMrush is an all-rounder SEO package tool. If you want to crush your competition, this is the tool you should first give a try. And the better thing? It doesn’t cost you much.
By paying $99.95 a month, you can find up to 500 keywords every month and you will have access to all the following features that make SEMrush one of the most affordable SEO tools.
Spy on your competitors keywords: This tool is mainly used for spying on your competitors be it finding their backlinks, checking their website traffic, and even their best performing keywords. This allows anyone to easily better understand about their competition and target audience. If you know your competitors keywords, you are well ahead of them in any niche.
Find out your competitors ad strategies: If you are focusing on using ads to boost your traffic, leads and sales, you first need to test the waters. If you want to do it without spending any money, use SEMrush to check your competitors ad strategies.
Use Site Audit to find and fix your site issues: One of the major reasons we love SEMrush is it provides Site Audit feature. This helps you easily find and fix all your website issues. The great thing is that it shows you how much “health percentage” your site has (along with the issues it has). So you can improve it every time by fixing your website issues such as crawling issues, images with no alt tags, long title or meta description, too many internal links etc.
Position tracking tool: Everyone wants to know how their keywords are performing well in search results, but most of us don’t know how to track them. If you want to track any keyword position, SEMrush allows you to do that. You can also import all your data to your emails so that you can have access to it any time and make necessary improvements.
Create projects: With SEMrush Projects feature you can create projects by including your blog’s domain details. Once you create the project with your existing blog’s domain, SEMrush will automatically compile all the data of it and gives you daily reports on the keyword positioning, daily search traffic etc. This can be so helpful in improving your website’s overall search engine traffic and rankings.
Why Use Moz Pro?
If you are serious about your blog or business then you need to invest in powerful SEO tools to automate tasks that normally take hours to complete. One such is Moz Pro, a comprehensive SEO software suite with several SEO functionalities.
It offers both basic and advanced research tools like keyword research tools, a SEO keyword generator, and link analysis that gives detailed data on your inbound links and link quality to improve your search engine optimization.
So in this Moz vs SEMrush review post, let’s first talk about Moz Pro features so you will know whether that’s a right tool for you to invest or not.
1. Link analysis
With Moz Pro, you can know from where the most powerful backlinks are coming. This tool helps you to identify mentions of your business online.
Sometimes, your website gets mentioned in a blog post but the blogger failed to link back to your site. With this tool, you see all of your unlinked mentions on the web. You can even know how much people are talking about your blog.
The brands & mentions section creates a visual graph of all your site’s mentions in one place.
2. Keyword research
Moz’s new tool Keyword Explorer helps in determining which keywords to target for SEO. For this purpose, Moz intelligently created four metrics namely Volume, Difficulty, Opportunity and Potential.
- Keyword Volume: It is the number of times the keyword is searched monthly.
- Keyword Difficulty: Based on domain authority and how many backlinks and social shares your competitors have, it shows how challenging it will be for you to rank well for that keyword..
- Keyword Opportunity: In addition to regular search results, you can see things like ads and SERP features appearing on Google’s front page. As more and more features crowd the front page of SERPs, the lower organic CTR will be.
- Keyword Potential: A higher number means a better chance of ranking well in the SERPs for the keyword. So a keyword with a higher potential score typically has strong search volume and lower competition.
Moz does estimate what keywords led to your page visits. If your site is not ranking on the first page or in top 3 places, then you should know reasons behind it to work on. And this tool provides valuable insights into those making it to the top page.
It primarily focuses on the page authority and the domain authority to assess your competition.
3. Open site explorer
Open Site Explorer is one of the most popular tools of Moz. However, to access the best features of it, you need to be a paid subscriber.
Here are the few things you can analyze with this tool.
- It shows spammy sites that link to your website.
- You can learn what keywords the site might be ranking for. It analyzes the phrases and terms most commonly used as anchor text to link to the provided URL or domain.
- To maximize link building, you can target the best pages. You can see top pages on this domain according to Page Authority.
- You can find broken and unlinked link phrases on your website.
Here are few more amazing things you can do with Moz tools.
Moz Analytics: Want to improve your search traffic, rankings and keyword visibility? Moz Analytics tool is exclusively for you. It helps you audit your site, track your current keyword rankings and see what your competitors are doing. A perfect tool for all levels of bloggers who wants to improve their search visibility.
Competitor rank tracking: You can track keywords ranking from over 200 countries and you can easily discover who your top competitors and compare their ranking performance. This helps you easily overtake your competitors in every SEO aspect.
Mobile rankings: This is a newly added featured by Moz Pro team. This helps you easily analyse all your mobile rankings. You can also compare all the mobile Vs desktop rankings and you can also easily track your “mobile friendly” tags. If your site is not mobile responsive yet, make sure to do it first. Otherwise both your search rankings and traffic will eventually go down.
Find link opportunities: With Moz Pro, you can also easily discover unlinked mentions, reclaim broken links, find competitive link opportunities and get site contact information of any website of your competitors. This helps you uncover lots of quality link building sources so you can increase your traffic to your blog or site. Their Open Site Explorer helps you easily find out the Domain Authority (DA), Page Authoirty and page link metrics etc features of any domain you enter within few seconds.
Crawl test tool: You can crawl any website to find errors, HTTP status codes and other useful data. You can explore up to 3000 links on any URL. You can also export this report to your emails. If you want to identify your site problems be it duplicate content, missing titles, crawling issues etc, this tool helps you get instant information.
Fresh Web Explorer: Want to figure out who is linking to who? One of the simplest ways to grow your search traffic is to get more links. By analyzing the keywords and links of your competitors, you will have fair advantage of where to find opportunities to build quality links for your sites. This tool helps you analyze mentions of your blog, competitors and keywords.
Rank Tracker: If you want to boost your search rankings, first you need to know where your pages are currently ranking in Google search results. By knowing your keyword positions, it becomes easy for you to set goals to increase their rankings. This tool helps you get instant reports on where your pages are ranking in Google for any keyword.
On-Page Grader: On-page SEO is the key to build a high trafficked website. Unfortunately most bloggers do it all wrong. Here’s where Moz On-page grader comes into help. It instantly audits your on-page SEO, and gives you great insights on tweaking your pages for higher search engine rankings. Sounds great, right? The On-Page Grader scores your web pages by over 30 criterias, then ranks recommendations by importance and difficulty.
Keyword Difficulty and SERP Analysis Tool: Anyone who is doing SEO for a while know the importance of keyword research. When you are finding new keywords to increase your traffic, it’s important to know the difficulty. Otherwise, you end up wasting time and money on picking the wrong keywords that are highly competitive (and impossible to rank). Fortunately with Keyword Difficulty tool from Moz, you can choose the right keywords to minimize your time and effort, and maximize your results.
Spam analysis: Again, this is another newly added feature on Moz Pro tool. The spam score will help you find potentially spam links on your websites. Once you find and fix those links, you will notice your traffic going up. You can also avoid Google penalties and audit your site thoroughly for harmful links.
Page Optimization Checklist: Did you know that Moz Pro started giving an optimization checklist to boost your website’s rankings? You can easily improve your page or posts rankings by using Moz’s tailored SEO recommended checklist. Even if you are a SEO newbie, you will find it really easy for you to improve your SEO rankings.
Moz also offers free tools such as Open Site Explorer (to identify link building opportunities), Followerwonk (to track twitter accounts), MozBar (to perform keyword research and page analysis) and MozCast (to track daily changes of Google rankings).
Is Moz tools worth paying for?
We’ve used Moz tools for a long time and we’re quite happy with the tools they offer. Every tool is distinguished from the other, you will have access to most of their tools by just logging into your Moz account after signing up. They are worth your money if your goal is to take your SEO optimization to the next level.
Verdict: If you are using content marketing to grow your online business and website traffic, you should try Moz tools. They help you properly optimize your website content to grow your search traffic.
Step by step guide to get SEMrush pro account free for 30 days
Step 1: Click on this special link to grab your 30 days SEMrush account for free (which is worth $99.95 and you’ll get free from the link).
You’ll now have to register by entering your email and any password of your choice.
Step 2: In this step, you will be now redirected to the page that looks like something like this where you should enter your credit card details to get access to SEMrush.
Step 3: In this final step, make sure to enter your details (email, password and billing details) to grab your SEMrush Pro account absolutely free for next 30 days (which is worth $99.95)
Once you click on the “Place The Order” button, it will create your SEMrush account without charging you anything.
Is SEMrush tool worth paying for?
This SEMrush VS Moz review was done to give you whether these both tools are worthy paying or not. So yes, it’s worth every penny. We’re not exaggerating it but try SEMrush free for 30 days and let us know. You won’t regret buying it.
Verdict: SEMrush is the #1 tool that is highly recommended by majority of the SEO experts. If you are on a budget and want to have access to an SEO tool that allows you to perform almost everything from finding keywords to spying on your competitors backlinks, try it.
- Unbiased SEMrush Review with 30 days free trial
- SEMrush vs Ahrefs: Which is best Tool?
- SEMrush vs LongTailPro: Comparison of best keyword research tools
- Top Moz Alternatives You can try in 2020
- Spyfu vs SEMrush: which is better for competitor research?
FAQ Sections Around Moz And SEMrush
Here are some useful questions around SEMrush Vs Moz.
What is SEMrush used for?
SEMrush is trusted by millions of people worldwide and is used for SEO, PPC and SMM projects which offers 40+ advanced tools. You can find your competitors’ traffic sources, rankings, social media results, run site audits, find better keywords and so on.
How much is Moz worth?
Moz offers FOUR pricing plans priced at $99, $179, $249 and $599 per month. With annual billing, you get a 20% instant discount on four plans.
Who owns Moz?
Moz was founded by Rand Fishkin and Gillian Muessig in 2004. After 17 years of working at Moz, Rand Fishkin left Moz and launched a new startup called “SparkToro”.
What is Moz pro?
Moz Pro includes premium plans offered by Moz which are priced at $99, $179, $249 and $599 per month. All Moz Pro plans include 1-on-1 onboarding and 24-hour online support.
What is Moz rank?
Moz Rank estimates the linking authority. You can download their free MozBar to quickly evaluate ranking probability with Page Authority (PA) and Domain Authority (DA) scores.
Which is the best SEO tools among the SEMrush Moz and Ahrefs?
SEMrush is the best money for value SEO toolkit as it offers over 40 tools at one place. Moz is backed by a huge SEO community whereas Ahrefs offers excellent keyword data. All three tools cost you similarly as their pricing starts at $99/mo
Final Thoughts: Moz vs SEMrush SEO Tool for 2020
We know that picking one tool among SEMrush vs Moz is really hard because they both are great SEO tools. They have their own unique features and come at unique price tags.
Moz and SEMrush both are perfectly optimized SEO tools and they offer excellent features to their customers. If you are a small business owner, we’d to recommend Moz because of the features it has. If you’re a blogger and marketer, give SEMrush a try, you will find it essential to grow your search traffic.
Choosing one among Moz vs SEMrush has nothing to do with your budget, Moz tools starter package starts at $99 per month whereas SEMrush comes for $99.95/mo.
Before jumping into a conclusion on which SEO tool to use, we’d highly recommend you to try them both (Moz and SEMrush).
So what are you waiting for? Try them for free and let us know the best suited tool for your SEO in 2020. We hope you liked the comparison of SEMrush vs Moz. If you have any more questions, let us know in the comments.