Would you like to steal your competitor’s website traffic?
I’ve an incredible advice for you: use SEMrush.
It helps you to legally steal your competitor’s search engine traffic. What can you do with it?
Here’s what you can do with SEMrush. You can (legally) steal your competitor’s
- Website search traffic
- Keywords and even their sales (if you are smart enough)
If you are wondering how you can use SEMrush to steal your competitor’s traffic, links and rankings, this detailed guide is for you!
Special deal: If you are not using SEMrush yet (it’s the #1 tool recommended by SEO experts), here’s an exclusive link for you where you can grab SEMrush FREE for next 30 days. So make sure to grab it otherwise this tutorial will be no useful to you!
Table of Contents
- Stealing your competitor’s organic traffic, links and Google rankings with SEMrush
- Step 1: Make a list of your competitor’s and analyse their sites thoroughly
- How to get SEMrush pro account for free (30 days trial worth $99.95)?
- How to get SEMrush Guru account free for 14 days worth $100?
- Step 2: Find out your competitor’s top performing keywords
- Step 3: Target your competitor’s backlink sources
- Step 4: Create unique and detailed content after doing competitor analysis
- Final step: Use site audit to monitor your website’s performance on Google
- Final thoughts on stealing your competitor’s traffic with SEMrush
Step 1: Make a list of your competitor’s and analyse their sites thoroughly
Quick note: If you are blogging for awhile, you might already know who your competitors are. Make sure to come up with at least 3 to 5 of your competitor’s along with their website URL’s. If you don’t know who your competitors are yet, do a quick search on Google with the keywords like “marketing” + “top blogs” (include your own industry in the place of marketing) to know your top contenders.
First off, log in to SEMrush dashboard (click here to get the SEMrush free 30 days trial). Now, enter any of your competitor’s URL.
SEMrush will now give you a HUGE information around your competitor’s website. See the screenshot below for better understanding.
For instance, I’m considering Problogger.net blog for a while as one of my competitor’s. Here’s what I get from SEMrush.
Quick note: To analyse any domain or website, we’ll use “Domain Overview” feature on SEMrush. It will give you the full details about the entered domain.
So what do you see? EVERY single detail about the blog, right? You can easily find out your competitor’s
- Organic search traffic
- Backlinks count
- Top organic keywords along with their rankings
Not only that you can find the competitor’s of your competitor’s easily. See the image below to know the competitor’s for Problogger.net.
Are you wondering why it’s showing just 5 results? Don’t worry, when you click on View Full Report button, you will come up with a huge list that you can use for backlink analysis, keyword analysis, competitor analysis etc.
Now that you have the data of your competitor’s, let’s dive into the next step where we actually begin to legally steal your competitors search traffic using SEMrush.
How to get SEMrush pro account for free (30 days trial worth $99.95)?
You need SEMrush account if you’re looking find great keywords and here’s how to get their Pro account for free.
Step 1: Click on this link to grab your 30 days SEMrush account for free (which is worth $99.95). You’ll now have to register by entering your email and any password of your choice.
Step 2: In this step, you’ll need to enter your billing information which looks like something like this.
Step 3: Once you enter your payment details, you can easily grab your SEMrush Pro account absolutely free for next 30 days.
How to get SEMrush Guru account free for 14 days worth $100?
Here’s how to get SEMrush Guru account free for next 14 days which is worth $100.
Step 1: Click this special link to grab Guru account from SEMrush where you’ll be asked to register.
Enter your email and password to continue.
Step 2: Once you have entered your details to create your account, you’ll be then proceeded to their payment page.
You’ll be charged nothing as you can see above and you’ll be given a 14 days free trial to their Guru account immediately.
Why do you need SEMrush Guru account?
In case if you’re wondering why Guru account is great, here are few reasons.
- Exclusive access to historical data where you can explore all the SEMrush database archives, which go back as far as January 2012
- You’ll get access to multitargeted tracking which gives access to precise targeting which includes multitargeted tracking such as location, device and language
- Extended limits from Pro account
So what are you waiting for?
Step 2: Find out your competitor’s top performing keywords
In this step, our only goal is to find the keywords that are sending your competitor’s the most traffic from search engines so you can use some of them to increase search traffic to your own sites. Ready? Let’s talk about it.
Let’s again take the example of Problogger.net for finding its top keywords.
Quick note: To find the top performing keywords of any website or blog, you can either use “Domain overview” and click on View Full Report under “Top organic keywords” or you can also use “Keyword Overview” feature on SEMrush so you can easily find all the details about their keywords.
Here’s what SEMrush is showing for Problogger.net top keywords.
Notice that, over 23,000 keywords are sending traffic from Google to Problogger.net (that’s definitely a HUGE authority blog) along with the search volume for each keyword.
When you click on the View Full Report button, it will show you even more keywords.
Did you see that? I’m only showing you few of its top performing keywords, you can actually find all the keywords of your competitor’s which are sending their sites the most traffic from Google.
You can also clearly find out the following information using Keyword Overview feature on SEMrush.
- Search volume for each keyword
- Positions for each keyword
- Keyword density
- Search traffic density for each keyword
- Cost it takes to rank for that keyword
- CPC information
This information is HUGE. This keyword information is enough for you to find out the top performing keywords of any of your competitors to crush them in search engine results.
Not only that, it will also show you which of their keywords are ranking in top 3, top 4 to 10 etc. This information can be helpful for you to pick those keywords that are sending your competitor’s the more traffic from search engines.
Pro Tip: Make sure to create a list of 50 to 100 really good (potential and low search volume) keywords from each of your competitors by implementing this step. That means, if you are doing keyword analysis even for 5 of your competitor’s, you will have a huge list of around 300 profitable keywords in your own database. That’s enough for you to come up with a year long topic ideas for your own sites to boost traffic.
Now that you have a list of top organic keywords of your competitor’s, it’s now time to find where they backlinks are coming from.
Why? Why should you do backlink analysis of your competitor’s?
The simple reason is: Google gives TOP priority to backlinks. If your blog or website has a ton of backlinks from various sources, Google thinks you have an authority site and increases your rankings, domain authority, search traffic etc. So the site with more links usually get better rankings. That’s why backlink analysis is a must if you want to steal your competitor’s search traffic legally.
Let’s find out how you can use SEMrush for doing backlink analysis. Click on “Backlinks” tab under the “Domain analytics” feature on SEMrush to find out the backlinks of your competitor’s.
Here’s a screenshot of Problogger.net backlinks analysis.
It has a whooping number of 630,000+ backlinks in total. Among them 19% of them are dofollow and remaining are no-follow. There’s no use of finding sources of nofollow links so we’ll just focus on where the dofollow links are coming from.
The above screenshot reveals the dofollow link sources for Problogger. You can find out all of their backlink sources just by following this step.
You can also know the anchor text for each link so you will have a good idea about what kind of contents are attracting more dofollow links. It can be useful for you to come up with a solid link building strategy for your own site’s content.
What to do once you find your competitor’s backlink sources?
Pick few of those sources, create content around those topics and tell those bloggers that you have created even better content around those topics. This is also known as the Skyscraper technique.
That way your content gets dofollow links from multiple sources as soon as you publish. This can give you a big impact on your search rankings and thus you can boost your search traffic really quickly.
Step 4: Create unique and detailed content after doing competitor analysis
In step 2 and 3, we figured out two important things: top organic keywords and backlink sources of your competitor’s.
To really steal your competitor’s search traffic legally, you need one final thing to do and that is create top notch and detailed content. Here’s what you can do after implementing step 2 and 3 from this guide.
- Use your competitors keyword data to come up with blog post ideas.
- Spend quality time to research about those topics.
- Spend extra time to write detailed blog posts (with over 2000 words as they really rank well in search engines).
- Reach out to those bloggers who have already linked to your competitors sources and let them know that you have published even better content. Even if majority of them don’t give a link to your content, you will still get search traffic to your sites because you are creating content that’s already proven to be going viral on Google.
Yes, this step alone (create detailed and unique content) takes time and some serious efforts. But that’s what Google SEO optimization is all about. Once you take care of your content that’s both search engine and user friendly, you can reap the best rewards in terms of traffic and sales.
That being said, here are few effective tips for you to create in-depth content that ranks really well in search engines.
- Always do a thorough research of the top 10 results for your targeted keywords. Find out how they are ranking well on Google and also take a note of all the points that are missing in those pages. That way it becomes easy for you to write in-depth content covering almost every point under the sun related to your topic.
- While creating content, also make sure to link to your own articles. Internal linking plays a huge role in SEO.
- Use lots of screenshots. Otherwise, consuming a detailed article (like this post) can be difficult for your readers. Use proper titles and meta description for your posts for better rankings.
- Use SEMrush wisely. Use related keywords and optimize them in your titles, sub headings and images to rank higher in Google.
All in all, SEMrush helps you to stop guessing what your visitors want and gives you the detailed information on what REALLY works.
So what are you waiting for?
Go and grab your 30 days free trial of SEMrush and give it a shot to legally steal your competitors search traffic, rankings and backlinks.
Final step: Use site audit to monitor your website’s performance on Google
If you want long term benefits from Google, I’ve another great suggestion for you which you can do effectively only using SEMrush and that is “site audit”.
It helps you monitor your site performance on Google and it also helps you find and fix your site issues. So you can easily improve your rankings even if your site rankings go down. Here’s how it looks like.
SEMrush site audit features helps you do the following things:
- Easily monitor your search rankings
- Find out your keyword positions
- Check your site health
- Find and fix your site related SEO issues
- Improve your search visibility
- Get access to all your site’s search related data at one place
As I said earlier, SEMrush is really an all in one SEO tool that helps you find your competitor’s keywords, backlinks, traffic etc so you can use that information to create a strong content strategy to grow your site in Google.
If you are someone who is looking to get more traffic and backlinks by doing competitor’s analysis, SEMrush is your go-to SEO tool and I highly recommend you to give a try to it.
Browse more SEMrush Tutorials:
- How to use SEMrush to find profitable keywords?
- How to increase Google Adsense earning using SEMrush?
- How to use SEMrush and Keyword Planner tool for keyword research?
- How to find traffic generating blog post ideas using SEMrush?
- How to do a Site Audit using SEMrush tool?
- How to quickly increase blog traffic using SEMrush tool?
Final thoughts on stealing your competitor’s traffic with SEMrush
Stealing your competitor’s search traffic involves in two major steps: one is to find your competitors organic keywords and the other is to know their backlink sources.
Once you are done with that, you can create great content around your favorite topics to attract more backlinks, shares and traffic from search engines. To do all these stuff, you definitely need SEO help. That’s where SEMrush comes into play.
It acts like an SEO expert for you to grow your search traffic and sales quickly. So what are you waiting for? Grab the SEMrush deal from here (for free), start using it to grow your search traffic and crush your competitors on search results.
Do you have any more questions about using SEMrush? Do you think SEMrush is the #1 SEO tool for dominating your competitor’s? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.