Are you searching for online jobs for students without putting any investment? If yes, this guide is for you where I’ll be discussing about few tested and tried ways to make money online without much investment.
We all know the importance of Internet. It is not only a fantastic place to gain knowledge, but when used right, you can also use Internet to make money online like me and other full-time bloggers.
Instead of wasting your time on useless chats on Facebook, and watching random YouTube videos, you can use it to make money if you want to make your time productive as a student. There are now a lot of more options available to make money as a student in your spare time.
There are a ton of blogging jobs for students available in 2020 and beyond. There are endless opportunities, you just need to find the right ones and grab them.
The best part of making money online as a college students is you don’t need to be an expert and you don’t have to invest much on anything.
Table of Contents
- What are the advantages of doing online jobs if you’re a student?
- Online jobs for students to make money in spare time in 2020
- 3 mistakes to avoid before searching for online jobs
- Final thoughts
What are the advantages of doing online jobs if you’re a student?
First off, making money online is really fun. Once you are addicted to making money online, you will never go back to Facebook to poke your friends in your free time. Here are few more advantages of doing online jobs:
- You don’t have to be a prolific writer to make money online (but having good writing skills help you make more money).
- You don’t need special skills to make money part-time
- Instead of using Internet for random chats on Facebook, you can make money in your spare time.
- You can buy your own stuff without asking your parents or robbing a bank.
- Making money in your spare time always motivates you to start your own business in future instead of working for someone else’s goals.
- You will develop a lot of social skills such as networking, writing well, email outreach skills etc while making money as a student.
- Above all, you don’t need to wait until the end of your graduation or PG to start making money. And if you started making money even before you graduate, you can find a lot more better job opportunities once you come out of the college.
Making money online as a college student is not a rocket science, it’s a skilll! These skills are helpful when you come out of your college life. The skills you acquire can help you become a better person and lead a quality social life.
So what are you waiting for? Without further ado, let’s jump into the details.
Online jobs for students to make money in spare time in 2020
Freelancing is the best way to make money online
Hands down, freelancing is the best way to make money as a student. When it comes to making money online, the first thing that struck my mind is freelancing. Not only the matter of fact I earned money from freelancing but it is also one of the proven ways to make decent income every month.
Here are few freelancing jobs you can try:
- Programming: You don’t have to be an expert in programming to make money online as a student. You can code and write programs that will help you create apps. Later, you can monetize them depending upon the downloads.
- Web development: You can learn Java script, PHP etc to develop websites from scratch. Again, there’s a lot of demand for people who develop sites.
- Design: If you are good at logo designs or even making blog design, you will find a lot of people contacting you.
- Writing: Everyone with limited writing skills can start making money. There are a lot of writing gigs available online including Fiverr, oDesk etc.
- Data entry: Data entry is another big area where more and more people are now jumping in to make money online. I’ll talk about more on this later in the same post.
Although you can try few sites like Freelancer.com to start making money from freelancing but I strongly suggest you to start a blog and create a strong portfolio for your desired skills to attract clients that pay you big amount.
Here are few freelancing sites you can try:
How much can you earn from freelancing?
It entirely depends on your experience. If you have good experience (say 2 to 3 years in your field) you can ask for high amounts whereas if you are just starting out, start with $10 to 30$ per hour.
Just make sure to focus on getting your first customer and give him quality stuff. You will find few more gigs from the same customer if you are offering top notch work. That way you will be able to make money as a college student without spending much time on finding new customers.
Become A Web Tutor
Are you interested in teaching others? Then try online tutoring. It gives you plenty of room to improve and money to make without putting any investment whatsoever.
Skills required to becoming an online tutor:
- Adequate English writing skills
- Sufficient skills to use Internet (and the ability to use different web apps)
- Passion towards teaching others online
How much can you make by becoming a web tutor?
It depends on your hour rate. Few sites pay each and every month where you have to work a min of 3 to 4 hours every day whereas few other sites pay on hour rate. You can easily make around $30 to $50 every day if you are good at what you teach.
Where can you start using your teaching skills to become a web tutor and start making money as a student?
Although there are hundreds of places are available online to sell your teaching skills, but here I’m listing only few sites that offer excellent features to its users. Do check out them.
Start doing article writing
Are you good at writing? Or do you have writing skills on writing any topic? If yes, article writing is for you where you can easily find clients to make money each and every day.
There are a lot of bloggers who need content writers so all you have to do is to find few blogger communities and search for content writing gigs. You can also start a blog and start providing your writing services to attract more clients who are interested in your work.
The money you make through article writing directly depends on the branding and writing skills you have. The better your writing portfolio is the better pay you will get from your clients.
If possible, start a blog and start attracting more people to read and share your stuff. Also offer your writing services by including your writing skills in the portfolio page. Trust me, you will attract a lot of quality buyers if you post quality content on your blogs.
Read better blogs like Copyblogger etc. to hone your writing skills to make more money from article writing. Make sure to improve your marketing skills to attract better clients who pay you decent amount for every article you write. Also deal in article packages instead of getting paid for writing one article. That way you will be able to earn more and also can offer huge discounts for your article packages to your clients.
Try micro jobs
Micro jobs are the newest trending jobs online that are helpful for anyone who is willing to put their free time to work on the services they are good at. The great thing about micro jobs is that you don’t need expert level skills to make decent income every month.
Sites like Fiverr help you make money online without putting any investment. The best thing about making money online through micro jobs is that you don’t have to be an expert. You just need the basic skills at several fields to make a decent income each and every day.
Here are few sites that offer micro jobs for you.
Micro jobs can be anything here are few examples of micro jobs.
- Commenting on others blogs
- Creating covers for eBooks
- Photoshop skills
- Creating banners or logos
- Rating and reviewing videos
- Writing articles
- Signing up for websites
If you don’t want to start a blog or be good at one field and still want to make money online, I highly recommend you doing micro jobs as they give you almost instant money.
Data Entry Jobs
One of the best online jobs for students is to get into data entry jobs. They don’t require any expert skills except typing. If you are good at typing with no special skills and still want to make money, I recommend you to try data entry jobs.
Data entry jobs involves in Excel data entry, Word data entry, Electronic data processing, usual typing, transcribing etc. You can use sites like Freelancer, eLance.com etc. to find data entry jobs that are valid.
Make sure that most of the data entry jobs you find online are mostly spam websites where you won’t get any money even after finishing your tasks. So make sure to analyze the sites that offer data entry jobs. As most data entry jobs are not lucrative as article writing or freelancing, you can’t expect making more money from them.
You can also make money as a student by transcribing. Transcribing is nothing but listening to audio or video and simply making it into a text version. If you are really good at typing and have some basic listening English skills, you will make a plenty of money every day by transcribing. Moreover these jobs are really easy to find and you don’t need any prior experience to make money from this service.
Create a niche site
I don’t know whether you are ready for creating niche sites and making money from them or not but they are one of the easiest and fastest ways to make money online.
If you are a beginner and searching for online jobs as students, I’d highly recommend you to create your own niche site.
Here are few niche site ideas that are evergreen and can help you make money even after 5 to 10 years.
Fitness: Almost everyone wants to reduce their body weight, get slim, decrease belly fat etc. There’s never ending for this problem. So what can you do? You can start a fitness niche blog, start writing blog posts, get more traffic, recommend the products that are related to fitness and start making money.
Smartphones: Smartphones, tablets, mobiles are getting popular. Almost everyone has a smartphone and 90% of the people who own smartphones upgrade to better models within an year. This is a HUGE opportunity for niche site bloggers. They can start talking about latest smartphones, provide reviews and discounts to make more sales. And the earnings are really huge!
Laptops: Laptops have occupied the largest share of technology usage. Every student, professional employ, businessman prefers laptop and they actively search for various reviews and coupons online. If you can start a niche site and rank well for few laptop models, you can make a lot of money.
Book reviews: Are you a book lover and who loves to read a lot of books? Then, you should consider creating a blog around it and share detailed book reviews. Make sure to use the affiliate links from Flipkart, Amazon, Snapdeal etc for the books you recommend to start making money.
And there are many more niche site ideas to consider. You just need to be patient and think about the latest trends in the industry to start making money.
Blogging for passive income
I’m a full-time blogger and I’ve been successfully making money from last 8 years now. So I know blogging is a surefire way anyone can make money by being consistent. More and more people are now jumping into blogging because of one reason: blogging is one of the best ways to make passive income. That means you don’t have to work each and every day to make money online if you set up a profitable blog.
Although blogging is not a get rich quick scheme, but you can make really good money each month by providing different services, selling products and writing paid reviews etc.
Here’s a detailed guide, please don’t miss out this post if you want to make money from blogging.
The money you make from blogging depends on various factors like branding, content, promotion tactics etc. You can’t make money blogging if you don’t know how to sell your stuff. So make sure to learn how to sell stuff online without looking like a sales guy.
I’d strongly suggest you to use WordPress.org as your blogging platform as it is the widely used content management system in the blogging world (used over 18% of the websites worldwide). WordPress is also one of the perfect platforms if you are serious about making money online. Just make sure to have some unique content, drive more traffic from Google and you will have plenty of ways to make money as a blogger.
Suggested Reading: How to Create A Free Blog On Blogspot And Start Making Money
Making money from photos
We all know the importance of design and photos. Visuals are one of the creative and most effective ways website visitors can get benefitted from. If you are good at taking photos that mesmerize people or if you have good photography skills, you can make money online.
You don’t have to necessarily be a master in photography to make a decent income by selling photos online, having good photography skills can also help you make money.
Several websites like istockphoto.com etc. pay you some extra money whenever someone downloads your photos. So make sure to take pictures that are eye catching so others can instantly be interested in downloading your stuff. You can also start a photography blog and start making money by updating your photo portfolios.
Sell used books online
Whether you are of aware of it not, you can make money online by selling your used or old books. It doesn’t matter which category of books you want to sell, you can make money by putting them on sites like madbooks.com, book adda, even on the sites like OLX.in etc.
The great thing about selling old books online is that you can put a price tag of your own. That means you are the boss and has every right to get the amount you deserve on your books.
Here’s how this process of selling books works online:
Just upload the information of the books in the websites, contact the buyer directly and sell your books for the price you deserve. You can also sell books online by shipping the books through a good courier service (or you can also use registered post). The extra amount for this also be borne by the buyer so you don’t have to be worry about shipping charges.
What if you want to sell pdf files or eBooks online? You can use the same websites, create an account, upload your files and start selling. If someone’s interested in buying your books, you can make the amount you put.
Offer proof reading services
Most people aren’t that good at editing or writing flawless contents be it online or offline. If you’ve the skills to write flawless content and if you’re really good at English, you can make money from proof reading services.
There are many sites like Elance, Guru, oDesk etc. can help you find proof reading clients so that you can start making money in your free time. You can also contact the website owners to edit and proof read their articles and you can get paid for doing it.
Posting videos on YouTube
Have you lately observed the new popular trend on YouTube? More and more people are now jumping into video marketing and making new videos. Do you know why? It’s because you can make money by posting videos on YouTube!
It doesn’t matter what topic your videos are related to. From cooking to shooting your own bike riding videos, you can make money from YouTube. You just need to create your own YouTube channel (it’s free), you just need Gmail account to start!
And you can start making your own videos to get more views on YouTube. So how can you make money by posting new videos on YouTube, you may ask.
Once you generate more likes and views on your YouTube videos, you can start getting paid $1 to $2 for every 1000 views you get. Let’s say if you get 1 million views on any of your YouTube video, you will earn something close to $1000 to $2000 easily!
The more videos with highest views you have the more money you get into your pockets. It’s how thousands of video bloggers are making thousands of dollars every single month.
Online jobs for students don’t get any better than making money from YouTube. Just launch your own channel and start getting more views on your videos. Here are few ideas on getting more YouTube video views.
- Search engine optimization is extremely important to make your videos go viral. Always use your primary keywords in your video titles, meta description and tags. This will give you a great chance of increasing your visibility for the selected keywords in the search engines.
- Use compelling titles for your YouTube videos. Videos on YouTube usually go viral because of the titles. If you have award winning headlines on your videos, they will definitely attract more people to click on them. Try to come up with 3 to 5 title ideas for every video you create and pick the best one among them.
- Always link backlinks if you want more views, subscribers and comments. You can either ask fellow YouTube video bloggers to start linking to your videos (mutual linking) or you can also use your own blogs to link to your videos. This works like a charm and gives you more visibility.
- Make sure to market your videos rightly. Start leaving comments on the relevant YouTube video channels that are similar to the content you post on your own channel. Always write thoughtful, interesting or funny comments. This way others will upvote your comments, the more votes you get on your comments the more people will start clicking on your channels giving you more views for your YouTube account!
- Connect with the influencer video bloggers who publish regular content that are also related to your content. This is the fastest way to grow your YouTube channel and start making money as a college student.
3 mistakes to avoid before searching for online jobs
I know making money in your spare time as a college student seems to be a lot of fun. But in reality there are so many frauds who are searching for ways to kill your time and money. Here are 5 major blunders most college students make while searching for online jobs.
1. Looking for get quick rich schemes: There’s nothing wrong in finding profitable online jobs for students to earn money in spare time. But the problem is majority of the college students fall for getting quick rich schemes.
Most online frauds take advantage of this and loot students money. So avoid if anyone claims that you can make extra $500 in a day. It will NEVER work and it’s purely spam.
2. Falling for fake online money making guru programs or videos: There are a lot of pages filled with so-called expert advice who will offer you premium programs that help you make money quickly.
Don’t fall for any of such kind junk if you don’t know properly about the guy. You should always remember that, making money from online is a skill that you should develop overtime. No one has a magic wand that will help you make $$$ overnight.
3. Looking for ways to make easy money: There are so many poker sites that are filled with full of frauds and scams. They will trap you and ask for your bank credentials and will eventually loot your money before you even realise.
So stop making money by playing games or poker online. It’s not a genuine way of making money and you will often lose all your money and waste your precious time in the process.
Pro tip: Stop searching for online jobs for student and start learning new skills such as photoshop design, creating logos, writing code etc. These skills can immensely help you in finding unlimited opportunities online for you to start making money. So don’t procrastinate and wait for a job. Start getting clients and make small money. Once you get the confidence, you can start pitching high prices for your skills. It’s as simple as that.
Recommended resources around making money:
- Websites that pay in 2020: 10+ websites for getting paid online
- Top websites for freelance content writers to make more money
- Top list of get paid to blog sites for writing guest posts
- Best fiverr gigs to make money from home as a student
- Top real online jobs for earning quick money
1. How can I earn money as a student?
You can start freelancing, become a web tutor, start doing article writing, try micro jobs, data entry jobs, create a niche site, blogging for passive income, make money from photos, sell used books online, offer proofreading services, posting videos on YouTube, etc. are some of the best ways to earn money as a student.
2. Can a student do freelancing?
Of course, you can! In fact, freelancing is one of the best professions a student can choose as it will give you full freedom and quick cash.
You can do programming, web development, designing, writing, data entry, etc. as a freelancer.
3. Is blogging a good career?
Yes, it is! Blogging these days is becoming a full-time career option.
More and more people are getting into blogging because of its flexibility and massive pay-outs.
And the best thing is one can start a blog risk-free with minimal investment.
4. How do I start a career in blogging?
To start your career in blogging you can start a blog (register a domain name and get a reliable web hosting) based on your interests and knowledge.
Once done, start publishing valuable content, bring some traffic, and monetize the same.
5. What are the best ways to make money blogging?
Advertisements, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, selling your own physical products, online courses, eBooks, offering digital services, are a few to name.
Unlimited number of online jobs are available right now in India and worldwide. To get those jobs and start making money as a college student, you need to possess some skills such as coding, writing, typing, designing etc.
So don’t waste your time in chitchatting instead spend most of your time acquiring new skills that help you make money online.
As I discussed in this guide, there are a lot of online jobs to earn extra income in spare time. You don’t have to really fret too much to make money online. Focus on developing few skills such as programming, writing, coding, email pitching etc and you will be able to find ocean full of opportunities to make money online.
Honestly speaking, learning how to make money online is not hard. You don’t require expert level skills to find online jobs that help you make money each month. Just focus on the topics you are interested in (say writing, typing or teaching others) and you are good to go.
A word of caution: Don’t make these jobs ruin your academic career. I know we all want to use online to make money, but if you are wasting your time on earning pennies, then it might spoil your career than helping. So focus on your study schedule, only use your free time to work on the above online jobs to make money.
Are you a student who is already making money online? If yes, did you find this article helpful. Please share this post with your friends so they can also benefit to start making money in their free time.
What are the other online jobs you would recommend? Please share your thoughts in the comments, I’d be glad to list them in the article if I find them useful.