Are you planning to create an event blog? Do you want to know how to make money from event blogging? You’re in the right place.
Event blogging is all about focusing on an upcoming event or special day such as Black Friday or New Year and creating exclusive content around that event. Then, you’ll be monetizing your blog with various sources like affiliate marketing, display ads and so on.
Event blogging has so many benefits including;
- Use it as an additional income source
- Considerably less efforts are required when compared to general blogs (where you need to constantly create content for better results)
- You’ll get first page rankings if you target the right keywords
- And the list goes on
So if you’re looking for an in-depth guide on building a successful event blog from scratch, this post is a treat for you.
Let’s dive into the details without further ado.
Table of Contents
- Event Blogging: How to Build A Successful Event Blog in 2023
- What is Event Blogging?
- How to Create An Event Blog & How to Make Money from Event Blogging:
- Pick an event (including some event blogging topics)
- Perform in-depth keyword research
- Start your blog on WordPress (including domain tips)
- Create a sales funnel (using ToFu, MoFu, BoFu)
- Create at least 10 in-depth articles
- Optimize your content, update frequently and build backlinks even before the event
- How to Increase Sales During An Event (Including Our Earning Reports During Black Friday)
- FAQs About Event Blogging
- Final thoughts on creating an event blog for profits
Event Blogging: How to Build A Successful Event Blog in 2023
What is Event Blogging?
Event blogging is where you start a blog based on a particular event. That means, you pick an event and create content only specific to that event.
Event blog can also be considered as a “micro niche blog” as it covers a specific event (or topic).
For example, you can create a blog covering “New Years Day Wallpapers” where the event is “New Year” and you can start displaying wallpapers for people to download. Usually event blogs get a ton of targeted traffic only during the “event time”.
That means, for the above example, you’ll be mostly getting traffic during the beginning of the year (or towards the end of the year).
You can also use your primary blog to create a dedicated category to cover various events to monetize.
Most people think that event blogging is all about creating a blog for an upcoming event such as New Year, throwing some posts and making some quick bucks through AdSense.
But it’s NOT!
If done right, you can make 10x more money if you create an event blog for the long run. So in this guide, you’ll learn how to create a profitable event blog in the long run instead of doing it for just one event.
How to Create An Event Blog & How to Make Money from Event Blogging:
So you want to know how to start an event blog from scratch. Here’s a simple yet detailed step by step tutorial on how to get started with event blogging and make money from it.
Pick an event (including some event blogging topics)
Before planning to launch an event blog, make sure to choose an event. For instance, we at Bloggers Passion target the Black Friday season which happens only once a year (during November).
Similarly, you can select an event so you can start a blog around it. Here are some of the event blogging topics that you can consider.
- New Year
- Valentine’s Day
- Mothers Day
- Fathers Day
- Black Friday
- Cyber Monday
- Chinese New Year
- IPL Cricket (Indian Premier League)
- FIFA World Cup
- Elections (of any particular country)
- Wimbledon Tennis Tournament
Make sure to discover the “Search Trend” using Google Trends to find the popularity of any event that you want to target.
The search popularity for that event should be either constant or improving every year (instead of the downward trend).
For instance, when you search for an event like “IPL vs Big bash” (both are famous premium leagues in cricket), you’ll see the following data in Google Trends.
As you can see above, Google Trends is showing us that IPL is much more popular than Big Bash and you can see a huge spike in the search during the months of April and May. That’s because IPL is conducted during those months in India. That’s when millions of people search for keyword terms like IPL.
You can also notice that every year the search trend is going upwards which means, that’s an excellent event (or topic idea) to start a blog around.
You can also pick an event from the following categories.
- New product launches (such as Tesla, iPhone new launches, Android launches etc)
- Sports (such as IPL, Soccer, Wrestling etc)
- Exclusive eCommerce sales that happen only once a year (such as Amazon Great Indian Sale, Flipkart Big Billion Day Sale etc)
- Special yearly events (such as Black Friday, New Year, Christmas, Dhanteras etc)
Perform in-depth keyword research
Keyword research is the process of finding words that people use in search engines like Google. If you want to get more search traffic, you need to conduct in-depth keyword research.
Why? Without search traffic, it’s almost impossible to build a money-making event blog. Here are a few proven ways to find easy to rank keywords in any niche.
Find long-tail keywords: The best way to increase your search traffic is to find low competitive keywords. Here’s where long tail keywords can help you. Long tail keywords usually contain 4 or more keywords.
For instance, “fitness apps” is a short-tail keyword whereas “best free fitness apps for iphone” is a long-tail keyword.
Did you know that long tail keywords account for 70% of searches online?
Long tail keywords also offer you benefits like:
- Higher conversions
- Less competition
- More targeted traffic from search engines and so on
Use keyword tools: Keyword research starts with tools. Keyword tools offer you a ton of keyword suggestions along with keyword metrics like search volume, CPC and so on. Although most free tools like Keyword Planner from Google don’t provide you accurate keyword data but can help you find new keyword ideas.
Here are some of the best free and paid keyword research tools for event blogging.
Analyze the keyword metrics: While finding keywords, it’s essential to analyze keyword metrics such as;
- Search volume (which tells you the number of searches the keyword has during a month)
- SEO difficulty (which gives you an estimated competition for the keyword in organic search)
- Cost per click (which shows you the average cost per click or CPC for a paid ad)
The key to finding easy to rank keywords is to find “low competitive yet high CPC keywords”.
Find your competitors’ keywords: One of the easiest yet powerful ways to find better keywords is to identify your competitors’ keywords. You can use tools like Semrush to easily spy on your competitors’ websites and see their top performing pages along with the keywords.
If you’re looking for an in-depth guide on keyword research, make sure to check out this guide.
Start your blog on WordPress (including domain tips)
Do you want to know how to create an event blog? Although there are a ton of free blogging platforms such as Blogger, Weebly available but we suggest you WordPress.
It’s the #1 CMS (Content Management System) in the world and offers plenty of features such as SEO-friendly plugins, themes, customizations, page builders, and so on.
You need both hosting and a domain name to get started with a self-hosted WordPress platform.
If you’re looking for affordable options, go for Bluehost as their hosting plans start at just $2.95 per month and you’ll also get a free domain name for 1 year.
Here’s a quick tutorial on how you can start your own blog on WordPress using Bluehost.
Visit this page to sign up for Bluehost hosting. You’ll see an exclusive offer where you can grab their hosting plans at just $2.95/mo
Click on the Get Started Now button to continue. In the next step, you can select any hosting plan according to your budget.
A quick tip: Go with the Basic plan as it costs $35.40 for 12 months.
In the next step, you can create a new domain, use one you already own or create one later.
Bluehost offers a free domain so you can save around $10 to $20 on domain registration.
In the final step, you need to create an account with Bluehost and see that you’ll get their hosting at just $35.40 as shown below.
Make the payment to finish the process.
Here are some quick tips for you to pick a better domain for your event blog.
- If you’re creating a micro-niche event site, it’s better to pick a domain that has the name of the event.
- If you’re creating an event blog that’s specific to a country, then buy that domain of that country (such as eventdomain.uk, eventdomain.in and so on)
- Do not use the year in your domain as it’s a bad idea. Even blogs work better if their domain names are timeless so you can create content and monetize it even after a decade.
- Use blog name generators like Domains Bot, Panabee to instantly come up with better domain ideas for your event blog.
You can also use your main blog and create event-specific content. Our blog Bloggers Passion is a better example as we’re running an SEO and affiliate marketing related blog but we also produce content every year for special events like Black Friday, Cyber Monday etc.
Create a sales funnel (using ToFu, MoFu, BoFu)
You need two things to make more money from event blogging.
- Targeted traffic
- Converting that traffic into profits
To generate more traffic and convert that into sales, you need a proper “blog sales funnel”.
To create a solid sales funnel, use ToFu, MoFu, and BoFu.
What does it mean?
Let us explain in simple terms.
- ToFu: Top of the Funnel
- MoFu: Middle of the Funnel
- BoFu: Bottom of the Funnel
Here’s how the ToFu, MoFu, BoFu sales funnel looks like;
We’ve explained about this amazing sales funnel in our premium eBook called “Affiliate Marketing Blueprint” where you can find in-depth details along with the examples.
Let’s briefly talk about it now.
- ToFu content (this content contains “informative content” such as “how to create a blog”)
- MoFu content (this is the decision stage where you provide specific information about the products such as “how to create a blog using WordPress”)
- BoFu content (this is where you introduce products or offers such as ”how to create a WordPress blog on Bluehost in under $100”)
ToFu is useful for generating more traffic. MoFu is used to nurture your audience. BoFu is useful for more sales and profits.
So your job is to create content for all of them and promote the right products to increase your event blogging profits.
Create at least 10 in-depth articles
If you want it to rank in Google’s top 10 results, you need to create in-depth articles. For event blogging, make sure to create at least 10 to 15 detailed articles around the products you want to promote.
These articles can be anything including;
- Comparison posts
- Deals, discounts, special promos
- Product reviews
- Tutorials and so on
In our experience, both product reviews and comparison posts work like a charm if you’re planning to sell affiliate products through your event blog.
Although there is a wide range of monetization strategies you can use such as AdSense, Infolinks, RevenueHits etc but you can make much more profits from event blogging by using passive income sources like affiliate marketing.
That being said, here are some excellent tips to write in-depth blog posts for your event blog.
Research and outline: The key to creating long form content is to research a lot. The more time you spend on researching, the more topics you can cover. Make sure to perform a competitor analysis and find the top 10 results for the topics you want to cover. Then, outline everything using subheadings. That way, it becomes easier to expand your content.
Write compelling headlines: It doesn’t matter how great your content is, if your headlines are boring, no one is going to click on your posts. Writing better headlines can also help you with better organic CTR (click through rates) which ultimately brings you more visitors from search engines. Use headline analyser tools to craft head-turning headlines.
Proofread and avoid junk: Yes, you should aim at writing 2000+ word articles. But don’t create junk for the sake of filling words. Your content should be top-notch. Also, make sure to proofread everything. Reread several times and use online grammar checker tools such as Grammarly.
Optimize your content, update frequently and build backlinks even before the event
If you’re running an event blog, you should create content well in advance. For instance, if you’re planning to create an event blog for the New Year, you should start creating content at least 6 to 8 months before.
That way, you’ll have enough time to optimize your content for multiple keywords, update your content frequently and even start building links to your content for better rankings.
Here are some of the best ways to build links for an event blog.
- Use the skyscraper technique
- Write guest posts (don’t worry about the DA and other metrics, just make sure to write guest posts and build links from various domains)
- Use social bookmarking sites
- Create videos and build links from YouTube
- Use platforms like Quora and Medium
- Leave blog comments on other sites
- Use broken link building
Here are a few more solid ways to build quality links to your site.
How to Increase Sales During An Event (Including Our Earning Reports During Black Friday)
Did you know that we’re earning more than $10,000 within a week (during Black Friday) every year from event blogging?
Have a look at the following Bluehost affiliate commissions earning report.
As you can see above, we created some exclusive Black Friday deals around Bluehost on our blog and earned nearly $2000 during the black Friday month. Not a bad statistic, right?
Although we’re NOT running an exclusive event blog but we’re creating exclusive posts on special events like Black Friday, Cyber Monday every year.
We mostly promote web hosting deals such as Bluehost, Hostinger and WPX Hosting etc.
Here are a couple of earning reports during the event.
Earnings from Hostinger during black Friday.
Earnings from Elementor affiliate program during black Friday;
Yes, it also comes under event blogging as we’re targeting a special event which happens only once a year.
You can also do the same if you are already running a blog. Just make sure to only cover the products that are highly relevant to your niche. That means, if you’re running an SEO related blog, don’t promote fitness related products during an event. It’s a blunder!
We’ve also created an exclusive video on YouTube where I explained how you can increase your affiliate sales during special events like Black Friday.
Although many people use display ads like AdSense to make money from event blogging but we highly recommend you to try affiliate marketing. In fact, that’s the only monetization strategy we use on our blog for special events like Black Friday.
To learn more about affiliate marketing, you can check out the following useful resources.
- Affiliate Marketing Blueprint (our in-depth A to Z guide that teaches you how to go from zero to $1000 per month from affiliate marketing)
- How to Boost Your Affiliate Sales During Black Friday
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Affiliate Marketing Case Study: How We Earned Over $13,000 Within A Week
3 Solid Ways to Make Money from Event Blogging
First, a word of warning: these are NO “get rich quick schemes”. Yes, event blogging can help you generate more profits quickly but you need to prepare well in advance. That said, here are some of the best ways to monetize an event blog.
1. Using Display Ads
Majority of the new event blogs monetize through display ads like Google AdSense, Media.net and so on. In fact, 9 out of 10 bloggers who create event blogs depend upon AdSense.
If you’ve already optimized your event blog for a lot of keywords, you can definitely make decent income through display ad networks such as AdSense, RevenueHits etc.
Most display ad publishing networks use CPC (cost per click) to pay money to its publishers. That means, you receive money every time a visitor clicks on an ad and the money per ad is set by the advertiser.
If you’re just starting out and testing out the waters with event blogging, using display ads can be a great option for you. You can also prefer other high paying AdSense alternatives if you’re struggling to get your AdSense account approved.
2. Promote Affiliate Products
If you’re creating an event blog as a long term project, instead of depending upon on display ads such as AdSense you should go for affiliate marketing.
Affiliate marketing gives you much more profits and conversions when compared to display ads but it works well only if you’ve a long term strategy.
Here’s a list of various affiliate marketing platforms you can use to find better affiliate programs in any niche.
- Amazon Associates
- Commission Junction
You can sign up for the above platforms and find relevant products in your niche to start making money from affiliate marketing.
Once you pick the right affiliate products to promote, you can use WordPress link cloaking plugins like Easy Affiliate Links to cloak your affiliate links.
3. Through Paid Reviews or Sponsorships
Few people don’t show much interest in monetizing their websites with display ads such as AdSense. If you’re also one among them, you can consider making money through sponsorships.
You can also publish paid reviews where you get paid for publishing a review post or tutorial around a sponsored product.
The best way to attract sponsor ads or paid reviews is to create an “Advertise or contact for sponsorships” page and show your website traffic stats, social media following, audience demographics and so on.
Pros & Cons of Event Blogging
Here are some of the pros and cons of event blogging websites.
- You can make a ton of money within a short time (I know a lot of bloggers who earn thousands of dollars within a week when the event is happening such as Black Friday). Okay, I’m also one of them who makes several thousand dollars during Black Friday every year.
- You don’t have to work everyday or spend a ton of time running event blogs. Just create some useful content, build links and optimize your website and content whenever the event is approaching.
- Event blogging helps you diversify your income sources
- It helps you understand your niche audience better
- Event blogging has a lot of scope in the future as millions of people search for “niche specific products” during special events
- You’ll be generating more traffic and sales only during the event. For instance, if you’re covering Black Friday deals, you’ll be getting targeted traffic and sales only during that time, which happens only once a year! Unless you’re running multiple event blogs, it’s difficult to make consistent profits every month.
5 Things to Remember When You Start An Event Blog
Here are some of the most important things you need to remember to run a successful event blog that makes money.
1. Create useful content
Most event bloggers create mediocre content. They don’t realise the importance of creating quality content. That’s why they often struggle to get top rankings (even if they get higher rankings, they can’t sustain those rankings for a long time due to thin content).
Make sure to create timeless content so you require minimal efforts when you’re updating your event blog posts each year. Invest your time or money one time so you can keep on updating the same posts every year with latest deals, discounts or keywords.
2. Think long term
Don’t create an event blog every year. Instead, think long term and identify an event that you can monetize even after several years. Running an aged domain (or website) not only helps with better domain authority but also improves your SERP rankings.
3. Create content and put deals in advance
Plan to create an event blog at least 6 months in advance. If you want to launch a specific event blog, buy a domain, perform keyword research, create content, find deals well in advance.
You won’t get any results if you launch an event blog just before a week or month. So be prepared well in advance. Try to find and include all the deals in advance so you don’t have to worry later (when the event is live).
4. Avoid black hat SEO at all costs
Black hat SEO techniques such as keyword stuffing, buying links from Fiverr etc can get your site penalized in Google search results. Never use black hat SEO techniques to get faster results.
5. Study your competition
Competitor analysis is essential if you want to build a money-making even blog in any niche. Only by doing competitor research, you’ll be able to find out the high performing keywords, money generating topics, backlink sources and so on. You can use competitor analysis tools to spy on your competitor websites.
We use Semrush for competitor analysis as it’s a powerful tool which gives you access to over 40 SEO tools at one roof. You can use the following link to grab their free trial.
Grab your 30 days free trial with Semrush worth $119.95
FAQs About Event Blogging
Here are some of the frequently asked questions around event blogging.
Yes, you absolutely can. We’re also doing the same on our blog BloggersPassion.com as we don’t run any exclusive event blog. We promote Black Friday deals on our blog every year during the month of November.
You can start a free blog using free blogging sites but we would never recommend anyone to start an event blog on a free blogging platform. It not only looks unprofessional but it’s extremely hard to convert random website visitors into buying something from your event blog.
Event blogging can be treated as a “side hustle” or extra source of income. If you’re planning to build a career in blogging, you should definitely consider regular blogging.
There’s a huge scope for event blogging. There are millions of new product launches that happen every single year and you’ll also find a ton of deals on special events like New Year, Black Friday. So there’s a huge opportunity out there.
What Others are Reading:
- How to Start a Blog and Make Money from it in 2023
- How to Start a Blog in India and Make Money from it in 2023
- How to Start a Fashion Blog and Make Money from Fashion Blogging in 2023
- How to Start a Lifestyle Blog And Make Money from Lifestyle Blogging in 2023?
- How to Start a Food Blog and Make it Successful in 2023
- How to Start a Travel Blog and Make Money from It In 2023
- How to Start a Weight Loss Blog and Make Money from Weight Loss Blogging In 2023
- How to Start a Pet Blog and Make Money from Pet Blogging in 2023
- How to Start a Personal Blog on a Small Budget?
- The Future of Blogging: Is Blogging Dead in 2023?
Final thoughts on creating an event blog for profits
You don’t have to necessarily create an exclusive event blog to promote several events as you can also use your existing blog to promote products during a particular event (such as Black Friday).
That being said, you should think long term if you want to make more profits from event blogging. Don’t create an event blog to make some quick money from AdSense as you can do much more if you plan for the long term.
So what are your thoughts about event blogging? Do you have any questions? Let us know in the comments.
We get a commission when you buy a product via our affiliate link at no additional cost.
Reader Comments (8)
I want to start blogging as my career… So I want to start with event blogging… Should I ?? But I m afraid of SEO techniques.. as I don’t know much about optimization techniques…
This article is quite useful for me… I hope you will write more about some tactics about how to do SEO in short period of time during event blogging.
I made $12000 in a singal month – I started dewali blog 3 month time frame ago, and on diwali event have spend $450 USD in ad marketing – it gave me a most 20 time result
I am a new blogger and just started by blogging journey three months back. This blog has given me some new knowledge.
My blog is getting traffic but the progress is very slow.
Should I start putting affiliate links in my blog now only or should I wait some more months to get more traffic?
Another question, my first niche blog is about digital marketing. Can I put affiliate links to various web hosting platforms?
For sure you can start using affiliate links and give a try to web hosting related affiliate products as well. Create a category for the same and start publishing web hosting related contents there.
Dipanjan, for sure you should start putting the relevant affiliate links now. You can put affiliate links for web hosting affiliate products in relevant web hosting related contents.
Wow. Detailed guidelines about event blogging. I am going create event blogging and this guide help me so much.
If someone really want to start Event Blogging and want to get success in this. This blog is best for them. Really good points you have discussed in this.
I was also thinking about starting a separate blog for Event Blogging. Very Nice and useful read.