Product Name: SurferSEO
Surfer SEO is a powerful content optimization tool designed to improve your search rankings. Here’s our unbiased review of Surfer SEO, along with its pros, cons, features, tutorial, and more.
This is my honest Surfer SEO review for 2024.
Surfer SEO is a data-driven tool that allows you to improve your website’s ranking by optimizing your content. It analyzes your content and compares it with the current ranking pages.
Suffer gives you suggestions on what’s exactly missing on your page after conducting a data-driven analysis.
You get multiple tools from Surfer to do keyword research, create outlines, generate content, and optimize on-page SEO that can help in better SERP rankings.
In this Surfer SEO review post, I am going to discuss my in-depth experience with Surfer SEO, its features, pros, cons, and available Surfer SEO alternatives in the market.
Let’s dive into the details.
Table of Contents
- Unbiased Surfer SEO Review 2024: Features, Tutorial, User Reviews & More
- Top 2 Best Surfer SEO Alternatives for 2024
- FAQs | SurferSEO
- Final Thoughts on Surfer SEO Review
Unbiased Surfer SEO Review 2024: Features, Tutorial, User Reviews & More
What is Surfer SEO, and What Are Its Benefits?
Surfer SEO is a content optimization tool that helps you create high-quality and SEO-friendly content to get higher rankings on Google.
This amazing tool analyzes your content and offers a report with actionable keywords that you can use to improve your website’s ranking in search engines. It also helps you to optimize your website’s structure and on-page elements.
Surfer SEO has a ton of benefits, including;
- Creating a content strategy for your blog or website
- Create a solid outline for your blog posts
- Get suggestions based on top-performing pages
- Identify content gaps with a content audit and the list goes on
If you’re looking to get first-page rankings on Google with your content, you must try Surfer SEO, as it offers all the tools you need to rank higher.
Surfer SEO is one of the most powerful SEO tools, and it is essential for EVERY website that wants to rank high in search engines like Google.
Surfer SEO Features List
Here are the amazing features offered by Surfer;
- “Content Editor” that helps you create hyper-relevant content
- The “Audit” feature helps you optimize existing pages
- Offers “SERP Analyzer” that helps you discover optimal keywords
- “Content Planner” helps you develop a content strategy with a ton of relevant topics and keywords
- “Surfer AI” to generate SEO optimised content with a few clicks
- Surfer keyword extension
- AI outline generator
- Plagiarism checker
- Integration with Jasper, WordPress and Google Docs
Surfer SEO Tools Reviews to Boost Your Search Rankings in 2024
I am going to review all the Surfer SEO tools & share with you how use can use these tools to optimize your article for SEO.
Surfer offers you the following 5 amazing tools;
- Content Editor
- Keyword Research
- Content Planner
- SERP Analyzer
- Content AI
- Keyword Extension
So let’s talk about each one of those tools along with the tutorials so you’ll learn how to get more traffic from search engines using the Surfer SEO tool.
1. Surfer SEO Content Editor to Get SEO Suggestions
The content editor helps you to create well-SEO-optimized content for search engines. You can generate a list of related keywords, create an outline, and write optimized content while getting real-time feedback from the Content Editor.
To get started, open Content Editor and enter a keyword that you want to optimize (and get SEO suggestions).
Once you click on the Create Content Editor button, it will take you to the Content Editor page, which looks like this;
You just need to start creating content on that editor, or you can also copy-paste content from your existing posts.
You get the Surfer SEO suggestions in the 3 parts.
- Content Score out of 100 — shows how well content is optimized.
- Content Structure — words, headings, paragraphs, images.
- Multi-keyword analysis — which you need to optimize for
Surfer SEO will give a content score for your content out of 100. Content Score is Surfer’s way of grading content. The higher the score, the more SEO-friendly your content is.
Surfer SEO analyzes the top-ranking pages for your target keyword and gives you suggestions in terms of
- Word count of the article
You’ll also receive a list of related keywords to add to your article to improve your chances for more search traffic.
Have a closer look at the multi-keyword analysis tool;
You can try to turn maximum keyword phrases into green in order to better optimize your blog’s content. You should avoid blindly keyword stuffing to turn all the keywords into green as excessive keyword stuffing not only violates search engine guidelines but can also turn off your website visitors.
You can also add the relevant questions to your articles. Hover on the “Outline” section, you’ll also see a list of relevant questions to the topic you’re writing about.
Have a look;
These questions can be really helpful if you’re creating an FAQ section at the end of your blog posts.
2. Surfer SEO Keyword Research Tool
Keyword research helps you find the RIGHT keywords or topics that you can use to get better rankings in Google.
I have been using SemRush for the last 8 years to do keyword research, as I found that Semrush provides more reliable data.
You can also use Surfer SEO to do your keyword research, which works pretty much the same as any other keyword research tool.
You need to enter a seed keyword to start off. Once you enter the seed keyword, it will show a ton of keyword suggestions in the form of;
- Similar keywords
- Keywords that have the same terms
- Question-based keywords
Let’s check out how you can find better keywords using Surfer SEO.
Once you’re on the Keyword Research tool on Surfer, enter any keyword of your choice. For example, I used the keyword “WordPress SEO”.
Click on the Create Keyword Research button, and it will instantly generate keyword data for you.
Have a look;
As you can see above, you’ll find keyword phrases in three different ways, including;
- Similar keywords – those keyword terms that are topically relevant to the keyword you enter.
- Having the same terms – those keywords that contain all of the terms of your target keyword
- Questions – questions related to your target keywords
I get the following “having same terms” for my target keyword “WordPress SEO”
In question keywords, you’ll find only those keywords that have at least 2 from the top 20 pages ranking for your target keyword.
Here’s the question I got for “WordPress SEO”
That’s how you can easily find all the relevant and question-based keywords for your target keywords to rank higher in Google.
One downside of the Surfer keyword research tool is that you don’t get any keyword difficulty score to decide which keyword you should go for and which keyword you should avoid depending on its difficulty.
3. Surfer SEO Audit Tool to Optimize Your Existing Pages
The Audit tool from Surfer helps you optimize your existing pages based on data from top-performing pages on Google.
Pro tip: Make sure to find a list of all the keywords that are ranking from 5th to 20th position on Google. Then, use the Audit feature from the Surfer tool to find all the missing keywords and data to better optimize those posts.
To get started, click on the Audit tool. Then, enter a URL along with the keywords you want to optimize.
Once you click on the Create Audit button, it will instantly start analyzing the URL and give you suggestions based on data from top-performing pages on search engines.
You will get suggestions in terms of;
and it provides useful data given below:
- Missing LSI keywords
- Word count for overall content, heading, and bolded word count
- Suggestions on enough headings and images
- Meta title and meta description suggestions
Have a look;
As you can see above, you’ll find a list of all the keyword terms you can use to better optimize your content. It will also show you the action elements where you can select and optimize certain missing keywords.
Here is the page structure and the title & meta description suggestions look like
As you can see above, your content will be compared based on data from top-performing pages (as it will also suggest to you the number of words to be used in the content, title, meta description, etc).
I wouldn’t suggest you blindly follow everything. Understand the search intent and use the surfer SEO to solve your users’ intent with your content.
4. Surfer SEO Content Planner
The content planner helps you to plan the content for your target keyword.
Pro tip: The key to using the content planner is to pick a “broad keyword,” so you’ll get a ton of keyword ideas that you can use to create content around.
For example, I used the keyword “SEO tools” to create a content strategy.
Visit the Content Planner tool on Surfer and enter your keyword as shown below.
Click on the “Create Content Planner” button, and it will immediately start analyzing the keyword to scrape the data.
Once it’s done, it gives me a list of clusters around the keyword.
Have a look;
These clusters are directly related to the main keyword I have entered. You can actually consider them as potential topics for your future blog posts.
Let’s have a closer look at these clusters to understand what data you’ll get.
As you can see above, you’ll find a ton of data, including;
- Monthly search volume
- Total traffic
- Keyword difficulty
- A list of all the relevant keywords, along with their search volume and keyword difficulty score
All you need to do is to pick a topically relevant cluster that you can use to create a content strategy to grow your traffic and sales.
You can export the content planner keywords to a CSV file for future use.
5. Surfer SEO SERP Analyzer
The best practice for optimizing your content for SEO involves analyzing the top-ranking pages on Google. This analysis provides insights into user intent, topical coverage, content depth, and related keywords.
However, manual SERP analysis can be quite time-consuming. This is where tools like Surfer SERP Analyzer come in handy.
Surfer “SERP Analyzer” points out common ranking factors from top pages so you can better optimize your content.
Using Surfer SERP Analyzer, you can analyze a ton of ranking factors of top pages, including;
- Text length
- Number of headings
- Page speed
- Keyword density
- Referring to URLs and domains
- Meta tags structure and much more
Here’s how you can use SERP Analyzer to get actionable data.
Once you’re on the SERP Analyzer, enter any keyword and click on the “Create SERP Analyzer” button, which looks like this;
I tested the SERP analyzer for the keyword “WPX hosting”
Then, the tool starts analyzing the keyword to find a correlation between top pages from SERP.
Here’s what it looks like;
As you can see above, you’ll get insightful data that includes;
- Number of words in the top-ranking pages for the keyword
- Popular words mentioned on the top pages
- Common phrases and many more
You can also compare your website with other top-performing pages on Google search so you can understand your competitors even better.
Here’s what it looks like;
As you can see above, on the right side, you’ll find key metrics, including;
- Content score
- Domain score and other details
All in all, SERP Analyzer shows you a list of all the common things, including average word count, domain score, and content score, from top pages. This saves a lot of time when optimizing content.
6. Surfer SEO Keyword Extention
Surfer SEO provides a keyword extension tool that you can add to your Chrome browser.
When you search for specific keywords using search engines like Google, this extension gathers data from top-ranking pages in the search results.
It provides valuable information such as monthly traffic, total keywords, and a list of related keywords with overlap & volume.
To use the Surfer Keyword extension, you need to install it in your browser.
Every time you search for anything on Google, the extension will automatically collect data from the top-ranking pages and present its findings in a sidebar, allowing you to analyze and compare key metrics. You can use these insights to refine your content strategy, ensuring it aligns with the top-performing pages in your niche.
7. Surfer Content AI
Surfer AI is the latest feature added by Surfer SEO. Content AI allows you to research, write, and optimize articles with in just a few clicks.
You can create an SEO-optimized article in four simple steps.
- Pick your keyword
- Adjust article settings
- Review article outline
- Generate an article
You can check out the video to know step by step process to generate content with AI.
Surfer SEO Customer Reviews & Ratings
Surfer SEO has excellent user ratings and reviews across all the major product review platforms.
Here are a few of Surfer SEO reviews from real customers on the major review platforms;
Surfer SEO Customer ratings on G2;
On G2, Surfer SEO gets 4.8 ratings out of 5 from over 450 customers. More than 89% of users give a full 5-star rating to surfer SEO.
Surfer SEO Rating On Capterra;
Surfer SEO gets an impressive 4.9-star rating from about 400 customers.
It’s worth mentioning many professional bloggers like Matthew Woodward and Matt Diggity have started using Surfer SEO.
All in all, the Surfer SEO tool got raving reviews and outstanding ratings from its users across all the major review platforms.
Surfer SEO Pricing: How Much Does Surfer SEO Cost?
Surfer SEO basically offers 3 plans.
- Start Plan
- Advanced Plan
- Max plan
Audit and SERP analyzer features are not included in the starting 2 plans.
Surfer SEO also provides 4th plan, “Enterprise,” which is a custom plan option. You get the flexibility to customize your plan according to your specific requirements. Price and feature details are not provided by the Surfer SEO, so I won’t include them as part of the plan information.
Here are the details of Surfer SEO plans;
1. Start plan: This plan costs $59 if you go for a monthly bill or $49 per month for an annual plan. This plan is suitable for freelancers, copywriters, and bloggers, where you’ll get the following limits.
- 10 Content Editors per month
- 100 keyword research per day
- 2 Organisation seats
2. Advanced plan: This plan costs you $179 per month with monthly billing or $149/ month with annual billing. This plan is suitable for small teams or agencies. You’ll get the following limits.
- 45 Content Editors per month
- 100 keyword research per day
- 5 Organization seats
Note: Audit and SERP analyzer features are not included in the Start and Advanced plan. You need to pay an extra $49/ month to add an audit and $29/month to add SERP features to your plan.
3. Max plan: This plan costs you $299/month with monthly billing or $249/month with an annual subscription. You get all the surfer SEO features in the Max plan, including Audit and SERP.
This plan is suitable for businesses and agencies with high content needs. You’ll get the following limits.
- 90 Content Editors per month
- 140 Audits per month
- 100 keyword research per day
- Invite 10 team members
- 100 Audits per month
- 100 SERP analyzer per day
- White Labeling
- API Access
If you want BIG savings on this tool, go with their annual plans. You can save up to $600 on the annual plan.
As you can see above, when you pay annually, you’ll save 17% on their plans.
- The Start plan for $49 per month (instead of $59/mo)
- Pro plan for $149 per month (instead of $179/mo)
- Max plan for $249 per month (instead of $299/mo)
What’s the refund policy of Surfer SEO?
Surfer SEO offers a 7-day refund policy. So if you’re NOT happy with this tool after using it for 7 days, you can contact their support team via chat or email, and they’ll process your full refund amount – no questions asked.
Pros & Cons of Surfer SEO
Let’s find out the pros and cons of using Surfer SEO
- Its an extremely easy-to-use tool even for SEO beginners
- Helps to optimize your website’s content
- Analyzes your website’s structure and on-page elements
- Surfers SEO is a tool that can help you improve the ranking of your website by improving the quality of your content.
- It analyzes your content and gives you feedback on how to improve your blog’s content
- Helps you find keywords including relevant keywords, question-based keywords, and more in any niche
- You can use the SERP analyzer to analyze and find correlations between the position in search results
- Offers a basic keyword research tool that mostly produces inaccurate keyword data
- It’s not an all-in-one SEO toolkit and doesn’t offer as extensive data as Semrush, Ahrefs, etc
How to Write FASTER With Surfer + Jasper?
You can 5x the content creation by integrating Surfer with Jasper.
You need to integrate Jasper with Surfer to be able to create SEO-friendly content automatically.
Once you’re on the Jasper dashboard (create a FREE account with Jasper), turn on SEO mode.
Here’s what it looks like;
Now, create a new or open an already created document.
Choose SEO mode in the Document to be able to use the Surfer with Jasper.
Enter a keyword or topic of your choice on the left side, where you’ll be using Surfer’s Content Editor.
Then, you can click on the Compose button on the right side to let Jasper AI create content automatically for you.
Have a look;
The most important thing is you need to give better input to Jasper to create better content. Then, you can use the Surfer tool as a guide to optimizing the whole content.
That’s how you can create SEO-friendly content with Surfer and Jasper.
In case you’re looking for a DETAILED video tutorial, check out the following video from the Jasper team to create and rank blog posts with Jasper and Surfer.
Top 2 Best Surfer SEO Alternatives for 2024
Looking for the best Surfer SEO alternatives? Although there are a ton of SEO tools out there but the following 3 are probably the BEST alternatives to Surfer SEO.
Semrush gives you access to over FIFTY SEO tools under one roof. Yes, you heard it right.
I have been using the same tool for over 8 years now, and it is also one of the most popular tools used by over 10 million users around the world.
Semrush gives you access to all the tools you need, starting from keyword research to competitor analysis to content creation, optimization, and more. It also offers a 14-day FREE trial, which you can access using the following link.
Grab Semrush FREE trial for 14 days (Worth $129.95)
Features List of Semrush:
Here are some of the amazing features you’ll get with the Semrush SEO tool.
- Traffic Analytics
- Organic Research
- Keyword Gap
- Backlink Gap
- Keyword Magic Tool
- Keyword Manager
- Position Tracking
- Organic Traffic Insights
- Backlink Analytics
- Backlink Audit
- Link Building Tool
- Bulk Analysis
- Site Audit
- Listing Management
- SEO Content Template
- On-Page SEO Checker
- Local SEO Tools
- Social Media Tools
- Content Marketing Tools and many more
Pricing of Semrush: Semrush offers the following three pricing packages.
1. Pro plan: This is the cheapest plan from Semrush, which is suitable for bloggers and small in-house teams. It costs you $129.95 per month (pay only $108.33/mo when billed annually) and offers you the following features.
- Projects: 5
- Results per report: 10,000
- Reports per day: 3,000
- Keywords to track: 500
- Pages to crawl: 100,000
2. Guru plan: This plan is great for small businesses, growing agencies, and consultants and it costs you $249.95 per month (pay only $208.33/mo when billed annually) and offers you the following features.
- Projects: 15
- Results per report: 30,000
- Reports per day: 5,000
- Keywords to track: 1500
- Pages to crawl: 300,000
3. Business plan: This plan is great for large agencies and enterprises, and it costs you $499.95 per month (pay only $416.66/mo when billed annually) and offers you the following features.
- Projects: 40
- Results per report: 50,000
- Reports per day: 10,000
- Keywords to track: 5000
- Pages to crawl: 10,00,000
Frase is a content marketing tool that uses artificial intelligence to research topics, write, and optimize high-quality SEO content for you.
Here are some of the amazing features you’ll get with the Frase SEO tool.
- AI content generator
- Introduction generator
- Outline generator
- Paraphrasing tool
- Paragraph rewriter
- Blog title generator
- Description generator
- People also ask
- Product Description
Pricing of Frase: Frase offers the following three pricing packages.
1. Solo: It costs just $14.99/mo ($12.66/mo if paid annually). This plan offers the following features.
- Access to 1 User
- Write and optimize up to 4 articles per month.
2. Basic: This plan lets you write 30 articles per month, costs you $44.99/mo ($38.25/mo if paid annually), and gives you the following features.
- Access to 1 User
- Write and Optimize up to 30 articles per month.
3. Team: This plan lets you create unlimited articles. It costs you $114.99/mo ($97.75/mo if paid annually) and gives you the following features.
- Access to 3 Users
- Write and optimize Unlimited Articles per month.
MarketMuse is an excellent Surfer SEO-free alternative. It is a widely used AI tool that can help you with content planning and optimization.
If you’re looking for a tool that offers personalized SEO recommendations to boost your content rankings, MarketMuse is an excellent choice for you.
MarketMuse offers the following four pricing packages.
1. Free: This is a free plan from MarketMuse which offers the following features.
- No time limit
- 1 user
- 10 queries per month
2. Standard: This plan costs you $149 per month ($1500 if paid annually) and offers the following features.
- 1 user
- 100 queries per month
3. Team: This plan costs you $399 monthly ($3900 if paid annually) and offers the following features.
- 3 users
- Unlimited queries
4. Premium: This plan offers advanced features, personalized data, and content intelligence. It provides custom pricing based on your usage and offers the following features.
- Team Access
- Unlimited queries
Is Surfer SEO Worth Your Money?
If you’re looking for a tool that can help you optimize your content for better search engine rankings, then Surfer SEO is definitely worth checking out.
It analyzes your content, gives you suggestions, and helps you get better rankings on Google with every single blog post you publish.
Surfer SEO is a great tool if you need help with optimizing your content and on-page elements, but it can’t be considered a full SEO toolkit (like Semrush or Ahrefs).
If you’re looking for a content marketing tool that’s easy to use to boost your search rankings, Surfer SEO is definitely worth every penny you pay for.
- 5 Conservative Search Engine Alternatives to Google
- Yoast SEO Premium vs Free Plugin: An In-Depth Review
- Best Alternative to KWFinder for Keyword Research
- Ubersuggest vs Semrush: Which SEO Tool Is Worth Trying?
- Best Answer the Public Alternatives for Topic Research
- Most Effective Google Search Tips And Tricks for 2024
- YouTube SEO Tips: 11 Ways to Get Your Videos Noticed
FAQs | SurferSEO
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about SurferSEO.
Surfer SEO is a content optimization tool that helps you improve your search rankings by optimizing your content. It basically analyzes your content and gives you suggestions on how to improve your content.
Surfer SEO is extremely useful for;
– Bloggers & freelancers who want to create SEO-friendly content
– Affiliate marketers
– Small business owners who want to grow their search rankings
– SEOs and agencies
Surfer SEO offers three pricing plans.
– Start plan for $49 per month when you pay annually (or $59 if paid monthly)
– Advanced plan for $149 per month when you pay annually (or $179 if paid monthly)
– Max plan for $249 per month when you pay annually (or $299 if paid monthly)
Surfer SEO pricing plans start at $59/mo, whereas the Semrush plans start at $129.95/mo. In terms of pricing, Surfer SEO is extremely cheap, but when you compare the tools and features, Semrush is much ahead of Surfer SEO.
Unfortunately, Surfer SEO doesn’t offer any free trials on their plans. However, you can try Surfer SEO and ask for a full refund within 7 days if you’re not satisfied with their product.
Here are some of the better alternatives to Surfer SEO to rank your content in 2024;
– Semrush (#1 SEO toolkit used by 10+ million people)
Related Reviews on the BEST SEO Tools:
- Semrush Review 2024: Why Over 10 Million People Use It?
- SE Ranking Review & Tutorial: Is It the Best SEO Software?
- Serpstat Review: Is It the Most Affordable SEO Tool?
- Ahrefs Review: Is It the ONLY SEO Tool You Need in 2024?
Final Thoughts on Surfer SEO Review
Surfer SEO offers a ton of content marketing tools, including Content Editor, Content Planner, SERP Analyzer, and SEO Audit, to help you rank your content.
If you’re looking to get better results with your content, you must try Surfer SEO. From finding better keywords to creating SEO-friendly content, you can do almost everything to improve your content.
So, what are your thoughts on the Surfer SEO review? Do you have any questions about the tool? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.