Are you searching for the best Grammarly alternatives in 2023 for mistake-free writing?
Well, your search ends here!
Grammarly is undoubtedly one of the best proofreading tools available in the market but that does not mean there are no other websites like Grammarly out there.
So, if you’re not happy with Grammarly for any reason or just exploring the best apps like Grammarly before making a final decision which software you should go with – we have got you covered.
That’s why, in this post, we have reviewed the best premium alternatives to Grammarly along with it’s free alternatives.
So, without further ado, let’s dive in.
But before that, let’s have a quick overview of Grammarly so that you can differentiate Grammarly from the other sites like Grammarly mentioned below effectively.
Table of Contents
Grammarly in Action
Grammarly is an AI-powered online writing assistant that helps you express yourself with ease.
It will strengthen your writing by eliminating errors, from grammar and spelling to style and tone.
That is the reason, 30 million people use Grammarly around the world every day.
- Correctness, Tone Suggestions, Rewrites, Clarity, Engagement, Delivery, and Plagiarism detection
- GrammarlyGO – Generative AI assistant
- Browser extensions for Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer
- MS Word and MS Outlook add-in
- Google Docs support
- Native apps for Windows and macOS
- Keyboard for iOS and Android
Grammarly offers three different plans that ensure everything you write is clear, engaging, and polished.
This is the free version of Grammarly with basic writing suggestions, best for individuals.
2. Premium (Starting at $12/month)
Grammarly Premium plan facilitates you with style, tone, and clarity improvements, best for writing at work and school. It also gives you 1000 AI assistant prompts per month.
- Everything in Free
- Clarity-focused sentence rewrites
- Tone adjustments
- Plagiarism detection
- Ensure your work is fresh and original by checking it against 16 billion web pages.
- Word choice
- Formality level
- Additional advanced suggestions
3. Business (Starting at $15 / month)
This is the most advanced plan for professional and clear communication for teams of 3 to 149.
- Everything in Premium
- Style guide
- 1000 AI assistant prompts per member per month.
- Admin panel
- Centralized billing
- Priority email support
- SAML SSO (for accounts with 50+ users)
So, this is a brief outline of Grammarly. Furthermore, you can explore our detailed review on Grammarly to know more about it.
7 Best Grammarly Alternative [Free & Paid]
When it comes to discovering the best alternatives to Grammarly that suits your style, there’s nothing like trying a few options firsthand.
Here are some of the options I have selected for you:
1.) ProWritingAid: If you’re seeking a budget-friendly alternative that mirrors Grammarly’s strengths. Surely this is my first recommendation.
2.) QuillBot: Best for sentence rewriting
3.) Ginger: Best for translation writing & editing
4.) LanguageTool: Best for multilingual grammar and style assistance
5.) Hemingway App: Best for clarity check & clear writing
|Grammarly vs Alternatives||Free Version||Features||Pricing|
|Grammarly||Yes||Correctness, Rewrites, Plagiarism Checker, Clarity & more||$15/month|
|ProWritingAid||Yes||Sentence Rewriting, Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation, Plagiarism checker & more||$7.50/mo or $399 (one time)|
|QuillBot||Yes||Sentence rewriting, Plagiarism Checker & more||$9.95/mo|
|Ginger||Yes||Rephrasing, Translation (40+ languages), Spelling & Punctuation, Fix||$13.99/mo|
|LanguageTool||Yes||Grammar, Punctuation, and Style checking||$24.90/mo|
|Hemingway||Yes||Readability Enhancement||$19.99 (one time)|
ProWritingAid could be the first choice when it comes to Grammarly alternatives, especially when you are short on budget.
Like Grammarly, ProWritingAid is also included with a fantastic grammar checker and also helps you improve the style and clarity of your writing.
Furthermore, you are allowed to integrate it with the majority of premium software like MS Outlook, MS Word, Google Chrome, Safari, Edge, and many more.
In-depth reports, and the unique combination of suggestions, articles, videos, and quizzes make ProWritingAid different from other Grammar checker tools available in the market.
That makes it a great choice for Fiction/Nonfiction Authors, Bloggers, Content Writers, Students, and Business Writers.
Why Choose ProWritingAid Over Grammarly:
- Comprehensive Editing: ProWritingAid offers a range of powerful editing tools to enhance your writing.
- Helpful Feedback: It gives you 20+ reports that show where you can improve. Grammarly lacks alliteration analysis
- Works Everywhere: Easily integrates with Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and more.
- Style Enhancement: Improves sentence structure, vocabulary, and overall readability.
- In-depth Analysis: Provides reports on overused words, clichés, readability, punctuation, and more.
- Plagiarism Checker: Ensures originality in your content.
- Educational Resources: Offers articles, videos, quizzes, and explanations for improving writing skills.
- Customizable: Create personalized writing styles and dictionaries.
- Browser Extensions: Available for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge.
- Lifetime Plan: Offers value with various plans, starting at $7 per month or also offers a lifetime plan ($399).
ProWritingAid outperforms Grammarly in crucial aspects. It offers specialized reports, deep style enhancements, and unique Scrivener integration, going beyond basic grammar. This tool doesn’t just correct but enhances writing style and structure.
Its affordable pricing ($7/mo or $399 one time payment) makes it a top choice for bloggers, students, authors, and business writers seeking comprehensive improvement. The lifetime plan makes it unique among Grammarly alternatives.
- Real-time delivery of 1000s of grammar, spelling, and readability improvements
- 20 In-Depth Writing Reports
- Style suggestions to improve the power and clarity of your writing
- In-app suggestions, explanations, videos, and quizzes
- Word Explorer and contextual thesaurus to find the right words
- Better Integrations
ProWritingAid pricing is quite cheaper and flexible as compared to Grammarly. Apart from the free plan It offers one additional plan which is available in 3 tenures: Monthly, Annual & One time. The lifetime plan ($399) offers maximum value. When you subscribe for a yearly plan ($7.50/mo), you will get a 75% flat discount.
- Lifetime subscription is available
- Costs less in comparison to Grammarly
- Packed with contextual suggestions, thesaurus, in-depth reports
- Quick integrations across multiple platforms
- Word limit (500) in the free plan
QuillBot is a fantastic paraphrasing tool trusted by over 10 million people worldwide that includes students, professional writers, and business people to write better.
It uses state-of-the-art AI that helps millions of people rewrite and enhance any sentence, paragraph, or article.
Whether you’re writing emails, an essay, or social media posts, QuillBot has your back.
Why Choose QuillBot Over Grammarly:
Grammarly does a lot – it checks for plagiarism and even helps make my sentences sound better. I love its rewriting feature that keeps my writing from being awkward.
Then there’s Quillbot. It’s different. Instead of many editing tools, it’s all about making sentences better. If you’re like me, still learning to write sentences well, Quillbot is a great choice.
- Paraphraser and Summarizer
- Grammar Checker Beta version
- Vocabulary enhancements
- AI-powered thesaurus to find the right synonym
- Quick integration
- 7 Writing modes
In addition to the free plan, you may upgrade to the QuillBot Premium to gain the full power of QuillBot.
1. Free Plan
This is the basic plan good for casual writing that facilities you with –
- 5000 Summarizer character limit
- 700 Paraphraser character limit
- 2 Sentences processed at once
- 3 Word Flipper options
- 3 Writing modes
- Google Chrome & Doc Extensions
2. QuillBot Premium
This is a high-end plan great for papers with high time sensitivity that costs you
Monthly – $9.95 USD billed monthly
Semi-Annual (Save 33%) – $6.66 per month or $39.95 billed every 6 months
Annual (Save 58%) – Best Value $4.17 per month or $49.95 billed every 12 months
- 25000 Summarizer character limit
- 10000 Paraphraser character limit
- 15 Sentences processed at once
- 4 Word Flipper options
- 7 Writing modes
- Freeze Words and phrases
- Compare Modes (only on Desktop)
- See longest unchanged words
- Google Chrome & Doc Extensions
- Google Docs and Chrome Extension
- MS Word Integration
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee (3 days)
- Free plan is quite limited
3. Ginger Software
The next alternative that we have in our list of Grammarly alternatives is Ginger, trusted by 10 million users.
It is an AI-powered writing assistant that helps you correct your texts, improve your style and boost your creativity.
At a first glance, the Ginger Software site looks quite similar to the Grammarly website but if we look at the pricing of this software, it will cost you almost half as compared to the Grammarly pricing.
Why Choose Ginger Software Over Grammarly:
- Similar Features: Ginger Software offers suggestions and rephrasing, just like Grammarly.
- Works Everywhere: Whether you’re on Twitter, Facebook, or Google Docs, Ginger works smoothly in almost every text field, just like Grammarly.
- Boost Creativity: Ginger suggests new words to make your writing more interesting, similar to Grammarly.
- Affordable: Ginger is budget-friendly, starting at only $6.99 per month (yearly billing), and offers features like Grammarly.
- Great for Non-Native Speakers: With translation into 60 languages, Ginger is ideal for those who aren’t native English speakers, which Grammarly doesn’t fully offer.
- Fixes as You Go: Just like Grammarly, Ginger ensures your writing is mistake-free across different platforms.
As a writer, Ginger’s standout feature is its translation into 60 languages, benefiting non-native speakers and those seeking wider communication. With affordable pricing starting at $6.99 per month, Ginger is budget-friendly and versatile. While both tools provide error correction and suggestions, Ginger’s multilingual support makes it a compelling choice for writers aiming to connect authentically across languages.
Ginger Software Pricing
Apart from the Ginger Free plan, you can upgrade to the Ginger Premium plan that will assist you to write faster and better.
Here how much Ginger Premium will cost you;
Monthly: $13.99 /month
Annual: $6.99 /month (Billed as one payment of $84.00)
Two Years: 4.99 /month (Billed as one payment of $120)
- Unlimited Grammar Check with advanced grammar suggestions
- Unlimited Rephrasing for more creativity, clarity, and style
- Expanded AI-based Synonyms
- Instantly Translate your text
Ginger Software Pros
- Free version available
- Premium plans are quite cheaper as compared to the Grammarly plans
- Correct all your mistakes in just one click
- Magical rephrasing
- AI-based Synonyms
- Translation to 40+ languages
- 7 days Money-back Guarantee
Ginger Software Cons
- Free plan is limited, even Grammar checks
- Translation feature is not included within the Free plan
WhiteSmoke is an all-in-one English writing tool that not only provides grammar and spelling checks but goes beyond grammatical and typographical corrections by improving the style, tone, and clarity of our users’ writing.
Its translator feature makes WhiteSmoke a great alternative to Grammarly, consist of Dictionary and Thesaurus, and supports over 50 languages.
Why WhiteSmoke is a Great Grammarly Alternative:
- Complete writing tool for better grammar, style, and clarity
- Translate in 55 languages, with Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Works seamlessly with Word, Outlook, browsers, and writing platforms
- Checks spelling, grammar, style, and plagiarism
- Offers 100+ templates for documents & letters
- Affordable plans starting at $5/month
- Ideal for business and academic writers
- User-friendly interface with effective proofreading
- Works on Windows, Mac, and popular browsers
- Shows real-time translation examples
- Strong plagiarism checker for originality
- Supports extensive language translation
- Valuable features at lower cost, no free version
- Suited for non-native English speakers and writers
WhiteSmoke provides a great alternative to Grammarly by offering similar services at a budget-friendly price. It’s an excellent choice for those who want comprehensive writing improvement.
WhiteSmoke has three comprehensive plans, each offering Grammar Checker, Plagiarism Checker, and Translator features.
Web Plan ($5.00/Month with annual subscription)
A full online writing solution compatible with all browsers. Grammar Checker, Plagiarism Checker, Translator
Premium Plan ($6.66/Month)
A fully integrated writing solution for Windows or Mac users. Grammar Checker, Plagiarism Checker, Translator One-click instant Proofreading Integrated with writing platforms, MS Office, Gmail 1-Computer License
Business Plan ($11.50/Month with annual subscription)
The advanced plan, offering enhanced features and support. Grammar Checker, Plagiarism Checker, Translator 3-Computer License One-click instant Proofreading Integrated with writing platforms, MS Office, Gmail Phone Customer Support Extended Download Warranty
- Allows Full-text and word-to-word translation to and from 55 languages
- Grammar, spelling, and punctuation checker
- Style checker for making your text flow and sound good
- Plagiarism checker
- It is a premium software which means no free access available to this tool
PaperRater.com is one of the best free Grammarly alternatives that utilizes Artificial Intelligence and Data Science to improve your writing, loved by 99.9% of users from over 140+ countries.
Plagiarism checking, automated proofreading, grammar check, and automated scoring ensure your submissions are analyzed in real-time, usually within 5 to 15 seconds.
The best thing about PaperRater is that it is 100% free and you don’t need to signup, login, or download to use it.
Why PaperRater Stands Out as a Grammarly Alternative:
Here’s what makes PaperRater different:
- Great for Students and More: While Grammarly is versatile, PaperRater specializes in schoolwork. It’s made for students, making it great for essays, projects, and academic papers.
- Helps with Writing: Like Grammarly, PaperRater is good at checking grammar. It gives you quick feedback, helping you fix grammar mistakes and improve your writing style.
- Finds Plagiarism: PaperRater has a powerful plagiarism tool. Unlike Grammarly, it shows how much of your content is original. This is useful for school honesty.
- Build Your Words: Just like Grammarly, PaperRater suggests new words and sentences, improving your writing.
- Score and Insights: PaperRater rates your writing, helping you see how well you’re doing. Grammarly does something similar, but PaperRater has more details for students.
- See Your Progress: PaperRater lets you see your progress with graphs. Grammarly doesn’t have this, making PaperRater good for steady improvement.
- Better Plagiarism Check: PaperRater’s plagiarism tool is better. It gives you a score and links to copied sources. If you’re in school, this is very helpful.
- Your Goals: PaperRater lets you choose your goals, so your content fits your audience. Grammarly does this too, but PaperRater is better for school stuff.
- Price Matters: PaperRater costs more, but it has unique academic features. It’s a good choice for students and pros who want better writing tools.
- Worth Exploring: Like Grammarly, PaperRater helps in different writing. But its school focus and strong plagiarism checker make it perfect for schoolwork.
In the end, PaperRater’s school focus, plagiarism check, and word suggestions make it a good alternative to Grammarly. Whether you’re a student trying to be honest or a writer trying to do better, PaperRater has what you need.
PaperRater, your free go-to, also has a premium option for those wanting more. Here’s the lowdown:
This is the free plan by PaperRater that allows you limited resources.
- 50 Submissions per Month
- 5 pages/submission
- 10 Plagiarism Checks per Month
PaperRater Premium plan offers more resources and a lot of advanced features, that costs you $14.95/mo or $95.40/yr.
- 200 Submissions per Month
- 20 pages/submission
- 25 Plagiarism Checks per Month
- Plagiarism Check Integrated into Proofreader
- Enhanced Plagiarism Check: Matching Text Displayed
- File Upload (doc, docx, txt, rtf)
- Premium-Only Modules
- Faster Processing
- Always Free
- No downloads required
- Plagiarism checker is included in the free version
- Vocabulary builder to improve spoken/written English
- No integrations available
- Limited number of submissions, length, and plagiarism checks
LanguageTool is a multilingual writing assistant, used by millions of people around the world.
It will assist you to check grammar in various languages including English, German, Spanish, French, and Portuguese that makes it an impressively versatile tool.
Not only grammar errors but they will also mark spelling errors and style issues in different colors along with synonyms at just one click.
Why Choose LanguageTool as a Grammarly Alternative:
- Works in Many Languages: LanguageTool checks more than 20 languages for mistakes, great for reaching diverse audiences.
- Supports Different Languages: English, French, German, and more are all covered.
- Fixes Writing Style and Spelling: Just like Grammarly, it helps with style, spelling, and grammar errors.
- Online and Offline Use: You can use it on the web or with browser plugins, just like Grammarly.
- Handles Big Texts: You can check up to 100,000 characters at a time, good for long content.
- Affordable: You can use it for free or get premium plans starting at $4.92/month.
- Team-Friendly: Plans for groups are available too.
- Easy to Personalize: Change the look, use ‘picky mode,’ and add words to your dictionary.
- Special Checks: It looks at things like matching names and spotting ISBN errors.
- Simple to Use: It’s easy to understand, with colors to show errors and browser extensions.
- No Plagiarism Check: Unlike Grammarly, it can’t find copied content.
- Focus on Grammar: It doesn’t give style guide suggestions like Grammarly does.
I think LanguageTool is a great alternative to Grammarly. It works in over 20 languages, is budget-friendly, and can check longer content. It’s good at finding tricky errors like ISBN mistakes. Even though it doesn’t catch plagiarism, it’s easy to use and has special checks. If you write in different languages or need specific help, it’s a good option for individuals, students, freelancers, and teams.
Beginners Plan (Free): Ideal if you need a simple grammar and spell check. Basic grammar, punctuation, and style review 10,000 characters per text.
Individual Plan ($24.90/month): Upgrade for noticeable writing improvements. Advanced grammar, punctuation, and style analysis 60,000 characters per text Style and tone suggestions Detects incorrect names, titles, and numbers in emails Microsoft Word add-in Google Docs add-on.
Teams Plan: ($11.07/month) Perfect for small teams of up to 20 members. Same features as Individual Plan User management included.
- Add to Chrome Firefox, Safari, Edge – It’s free
- Google Docs Add-on
- Microsoft Word Add-in
- OpenOffice & LibreOffice Add-on
- Only 10,000 characters are allowed in the free subscription
- Plagiarism checker is not included
7. Hemingway App
Hemingway is a powerful editor that helps you write with power and clarity by highlighting adverbs, passive voice, and dull, complicated words.
Its one-click integrations with WordPress and Medium blog allow you to publish a draft or live post, right from the Hemingway Editor.
Furthermore, the capability to import and export to Microsoft Word or other editors makes it even easier to work alongside other editors.
Why Hemingway is a Great Grammarly Alternative:
- Clear Focus: Grammarly covers all grammar aspects, while Hemingway centers on making text clearer and simpler.
- Easy Interface: Hemingway’s user-friendly design ensures easy editing, reflecting its namesake’s straightforward style.
- Better Readability: Hemingway’s color system spots complex sentences, guiding writers to simplify step by step.
- Quick Publishing: Like Grammarly, Hemingway lets you publish directly to WordPress and Medium, saving time.
- Use Offline: Hemingway works offline too, so you can edit without the internet.
- Supplemental Tool: Think of Hemingway as a companion to Grammarly for thorough editing.
- Strengths and Weaknesses: While Hemingway improves clarity, it’s not as strong as Grammarly in checking grammar.
Comparing Hemingway and Grammarly, each has its strengths. Hemingway makes writing clearer and simpler, especially for final touches. It helps with complex sentences to ensure the message is clear. Grammarly is good for checking grammar all the way.
As a writer, Hemingway is great for making things readable, and Grammarly helps with writing in general. If you want clear writing, pick Hemingway for polishing and impacting readers.
Hemingway Web editor is completely free for use.
For Hemingway Editor 3 (Mac and PC), you will have to bear a one-time payment of $19.99.
- Superb editing features
- Neat & Clean interface
- Standalone desktop app is available, no internet connection required
- Lacks grammar checking capabilities
- No plagiarism checker included
- Best Online Grammar Checker Tools for Publishers
- Top Free Online Proofreading Tools to Write Flawless Content
- Best Free Online Punctuation Checker Tools for Bloggers And Writers
Grammarly is an AI-powered free online writing assistant that helps you write clean and error-free along with some great suggestions that go way beyond grammar.
Grammarly is a freemium (free and premium) software which means you can get started with it for free.
Yes, you can add the Grammarly Chrome extension for completely free.
Grammarly Premium’s advanced features and suggestions like Clarity-focused sentence rewrites, Tone adjustments, Plagiarism detection, Word choice, etc. make it worth paying for the premium version of Grammarly.
Yes, Grammarly is supported in Emails, Messages, Documents, Projects, and Social Media.
ProWritingAid, WhiteSmoke, and Ginger are some of the best alternatives to Grammarly.
ProWritingAid, Ginger Software, PaperRater, Reverso Translation, GrammarCheck, QuillBot, LanguageTool, Druide Antidote, Hemingway App, and Virtual Writing Tutor to name a few.
ProWritingAid has an edge over Grammarly in terms of pricing but when it comes to features like word limit in the free version and plagiarism checks, Grammarly is good to go.
Grammarly is way better than the Hemingway app as Grammarly makes sure that your spelling, grammar, and punctuations are done right while the Hemmingway app is more into making your content better as a whole for your readers.
Grammarly has easy to use interface and hassle-free integration with MS-office which makes Grammarly the best value for money for writers, bloggers, students, and teachers.
On the other hand, WhiteSmoke’s translator service makes it a good choice for those who work with cross-language and cross-country clients.
In terms of features, Grammarly has a wider range of features that makes it the first choice of business users and writers who work with others.
Final Thoughts on Grammarly Alternatives
This is all about the best apps like Grammarly for 2023.
In this post, we included only the best sites like Grammarly that are effective and easy to use.
Though at BloggersPassion, we have been using Grammarly from the beginning and the whole team just loves it.
Now, it’s your turn to check out these Grammarly alternatives, and let us know if you found any of them useful for you.
Also, do comment below, which software are you using to proofread your text?