Are you in the weight loss industry? Do you want to start a blog on weight loss? You’re in the right place.
Whether you know it or not, the weight loss industry is a HUGE billion-dollar industry that is only growing at a rapid pace.
Here’s an interesting statistic about the weight loss industry in 2022.
The U.S. weight loss market is estimated to grow to $245 billion by 2022 with a CAGR of 6.9%, which is unbelievable.
So if you’re into weight loss blogging, you have a golden chance to make a ton of profits from your website. If you’re wondering about how you can succeed in this industry, this post is just for you where you’ll discover;
- How to start a weight loss blog in 3 simple steps
- How to make money from your weight loss blog
- Do’s & don’ts of weight loss blogging and much more
Are you ready? Let’s jump into the details.
Table of Contents
- How to Start a Weight Loss Blog & Make Money from Your Weight Loss Blog?
- How to Make Money from A Weight Loss Blog? 4 Proven Ways!
- FAQs | How to Start a Weight Loss Blog
- Final Thoughts On Weight Loss Blogging
We get a commission when you buy a product via our affiliate link at no additional cost.
How to Start a Weight Loss Blog & Make Money from Your Weight Loss Blog?
There are three simple steps to start your own weight loss blog which are;
- Picking a domain name for your blog
- Purchasing web hosting (to host your blog)
- Choosing a website design
Let’s talk about these three things so you can launch your own weight blog within a few minutes.
1. Choose a memorable domain name
Choosing a domain name is the MOST important first step in creating a weight loss blog.
A good domain name should be easy to remember and type.
Make sure the domain you pick should reflect the content of your site.
For example, if you are creating a website about weight loss, you might want to pick a domain name that includes the word “weight loss”, “fitness” or other relevant phrases in it.
Make sure to AVOID choosing a domain name that is TOO LONG.
That being said, you can use free tools to easily come up with memorable domain names for your site.
One such free tool is Lean Domain Search.
Just enter the keyword term you want to include in your domain and it will show you a list of all the available domains that contain that keyword.
Let’s say you want to include the term “weight loss” in your domain, here’s what you’ll get from Lean Domain Search.
See that? It’s showing us over 2800 available domains containing our example keyword.
So what are you waiting for? Start brainstorming domain ideas and pick a domain that’s catchy.
If possible, try to consider the “.com” extension for your domain. The “.com” extension is the most popular domain extension, so it’s generally the best choice for ANY website.
2. Buy web hosting
A web hosting provider offers storage for your website.
When it comes to picking a web host, there are a lot of factors to consider such as cost, reliability, customer service, features, and more.
We’ve used a ton of web hosts for the last 12 years and our TOP recommendation is Bluehost.
Why? Bluehost is the WordPress official recommended web host which is trusted by over 2 million websites.
The best part? You can purchase web hosting from Bluehost only at around $35 per year (that includes a FREE domain!).
Here’s how you can buy web hosting from Bluehost for just $35 a year.
Click to claim a 70% discount and visit the Bluehost website to buy their hosting package.
Once you’re on their website, click on the Get Started Now button which looks like this;
You’ll be then asked to choose a hosting plan.
If you’re looking for the most affordable plan, go with the Basic plan as it costs just around $35 per year along with a free domain.
Once you choose a specific hosting plan from Bluehost, you’ll be asked to choose a domain. You can set it up now or later (it’s always free to register a domain with Bluehost as long as you purchase their web hosting package).
Once it’s done, you’ll be asked to create your account.
As mentioned earlier, the Basic plan costs $35.40 for 12 months.
Have a look;
Finish setting up your account and you’re done. Upon the payment, you’ll get a confirmation email from Bluehost. Then, you can simply log in to your Bluehost account and install WordPress using the 1-click installer. That’s it, you’re done.
3. Pick an appealing theme (design)
The final step to launching your weight loss blog with a bang is to choose a design.
Fortunately for WordPress users, there are a lot of themes you can choose from.
You’ll also get a lot of free WordPress themes but we recommend you go for premium themes as they come with frequent updates, design support, better features, and more.
So what’s our recommendation?
GeneratePress is used by over 4.1 million websites around the world. It’s also the same theme we’re currently using on this blog.
It also offers a free version with limited features.
In case you’re curious, here are some of the benefits of using the GeneratePress theme.
So how much does GeneratePress cost?
GeneratePress premium offers the following two pricing plans.
1. Yearly plan: This plan costs you only $59 per year and you’ll get the following features.
- Full access to the Site Library
- 1 year of updates
- 1 year of premium support
- Install the theme on up to 500 websites
2. Lifetime plan: If you don’t want to pay yearly and looking for lifetime access, go with this plan and it costs you $249 which is a one-time payment. You’ll get the following features;
- Full access to the Site Library
- LIFETIME updates
- LIFETIME premium support
- Install the theme on up to 500 websites
Both these plans offer a 30-day refund policy so you can ask for a full refund in case you’re not happy with the theme.
So what are you waiting for?
Do’s And Don’ts of Weight Loss Blogging
- Creating content by targeting a niche. It’s always better to blog around a specific topic (such as belly fat loss tips for women) instead of targeting a broad topic if you want to build targeted audience quickly.
- Keep an eye on your competitors audience so you’ll know what to cater and more importantly what to avoid.
- Always perform keyword research before you write even a word for your next blog post. That way you can come up with less search volume keywords (preferably 1000 or below monthly searches) you can target to rank for.
- Start a YouTube channel and tell everything you know about weight loss. If you’ve personally transformed yourself from fat to fit, it’s even better as most people on YouTube would love to get advice from people who’ve actually made it.
- Don’t create boring and generic content. There’s no point of creating thin content that’s not useful for anyone. If you really want to become a success in your niche, avoid creating generic and boring content. Focus on your target audience and create content that serves their wants and needs.
- If you build it, they won’t come. If you create content and don’t care about promotion part, no one is going to discover your blog. As a rule of thumb, spend at least 50% of your time doing promotion and 50% in content creation for best results in the long run.
- Not creating an email list will be a huge mistake. Whether you know it or not, every dollar you spend on email marketing has a HUGE return of $44.25. Email marketing also has a conversion rate 3 times higher than social media, with a 17% higher value in each conversion. So you really can’t ignore email list if you want to profit from fitness blogging.
How to Make Money from A Weight Loss Blog? 4 Proven Ways!
So far we’ve discussed how to start your own weight loss blog along with the do’s and don’ts. Let’s now talks b about the most interesting part: how to make money from a weight loss blog?
First things first: create a monetization strategy.
Before you dive into weight loss blogging, it’s important for you to decide on what monetization strategy you’re going to implement.
At its basic, you need two major things to make money from blogging.
- Website traffic (it’s better if you can drive traffic from search engines like Google)
- Converting that traffic into money
The #1 biggest mistake most people make while monetizing their site is that they either don’t have any plan or they simply implement several monetization methods at once. Both are wrong.
The best way to come up with a monetization strategy is to look at your competitor’s websites and see in what ways they are making money from their audience.
Here are a few ways you can use to make money blogging.
- Selling your own products such as eBooks, cheat sheets, video tutorials, and so on
- Selling affiliate products in the weight loss industry
- Using ads such as AdSense, Chitika, Media.net, and so on
- Becoming a fitness coach and helping others to get fit
Let’s talk about FOUR PROVEN ways to monetize your weight loss blog.
1. Promote affiliate products
Affiliate marketing is definitely a great way to earn additional money from niche blogging, provided you know how to do it right. It helps you earn money even while you sleep.
Did you know that we made over $411,000 from ONE affiliate program?
We generated more than $400K from the Semrush affiliate program.
The key to successful affiliate marketing is website traffic.
The more website traffic you get towards your affiliate products that include your affiliate referral links, naturally more sales you will be able to generate and the more commission you will make from affiliate marketing.
Become an affiliate with ClickBank, Amazon, eBay, or Commission Junction (they are all free to sign up) to generate income with affiliate marketing. Once you’re signed up with such platforms, you get an affiliate referral link you can use to promote your products and put it on social media, email lists, websites, etc to make money.
Take quality time to choose a product (have a look at the best affiliate programs) to promote and write down a unique, unbiased, and highly informative product review as product reviews work like a charm in affiliate marketing.
Here are a few quick tips for you if you want to increase affiliate sales in your industry.
- It’s better if you prefer an affiliate product that offers recurring commissions so you can earn commissions every month or year until the subscriber stops paying for the product, not just once.
- Focus only on promoting a limited number of affiliate products so that you can promote them effectively and make more commissions in the long run.
- Create product reviews, detailed tutorials, and video tutorials around the products you promote. Educating your audience about your niche products is the surest way to increase commissions.
2. Use display ads
Weight loss blogging has one biggest benefit. It has a huge CPC where you’ll most get traffic from countries like the US, UK, Canada, and so on. The best thing about driving organic traffic with huge CPC is that you can use literally any type of monetization strategy to get more benefits.
Even with AdSense (where most of the industries have low CPC), you can still make thousands of dollars if you’re generating thousands of visitors from search engines to your site. You need to place the ads in the right spots to be able to get more clicks.
If you’ve already tried AdSense or are not satisfied with it, you can give a try to other AdSense alternatives which are listed below;
- Media.net publishing network
- Chitika, etc
Make sure to target the right keywords that have better CPC (around $1 and more) to be able to make more money by using the above-mentioned monetization sources. You can use tools like Semrush if you want to come up with high CPC and low search volume keywords.
With a Semrush pro account, you can do all the following things easily which will be helpful for you in building a better blog around your niche.
- Keyword research
- Organic research
- Advertising research
- Backlink analysis
- Estimate traffic of any site with ease
So what are you waiting for? Use the below link to grab its free trial.
3. Become a fitness coach and offer services
There are a lot of people who are looking for professional fitness advice. If you’ve enough experience or are a certified fitness expert, you can become a fitness coach by showing your portfolio and start getting clients to earn a lot of money every month.
Here’s an example website of a personal trainer monetizing his website;
Here are a few tips to make coaching from your blog work for you;
- Write for your ideal clients instead of writing content for everyone. That way you’ll attract the right people who are keen to hire you for your mentorship.
- Share a ton of useful advice for free in the form of articles, eBooks, videos, and so on. If your followers feel like your advice is solid, they would gladly pay for you when you offer something premium such as coaching services.
- Make sure to check out other fitness bloggers who are offering coaching services to get ideas. Find out how they are crafting their consulting services and how much they are charging to get an idea.
4. Sell your own products
If you don’t want to depend on others, sell your own products.
It might take some time but selling your own products can give you consistent income.
We’ve our own products in the store and we’re generating decent sales from the eBooks.
Here are some of the ways you can sell your own products to earn more money. It can be counted as a passive income source since you’re working hard in the beginning and the sales come later automatically if they are good.
- Selling eBooks
- Selling cheat sheets or workbooks related to fitness and weight loss
- Weight loss recipes
- Selling video tutorials
- Offering membership courses
- Offering premium content for an exclusive audience
- And the list goes on
So there you go. Use the above FOUR strategies to monetize your weight loss blog.
Two steps to create a successful weight loss blog
The two most important steps to growing a new blog are:
- Quality Content
#1. Quality Content
You can’t build a high-traffic blog without quality content.
Research your market and read what other bloggers have written about the topic under discussion. Don’t talk about how people can lose 10 pounds in 3 days (unless you’ve already achieved it).
Give proper guidance.
So, when writing your content, clarify issues and don’t be too authoritative. Stand between the ‘gap’ and let your article stand out from thousands of new posts that are published every day.
Quality content is the best foundation for your weight loss review blog. But you can apply ‘quality’ to every article you write, irrespective of the niche or model.
What has networking got to do with growing a blog? Well, a lot!
Networking goes beyond social media, forums, and the like. Real networking deals with connecting, sharing, and getting other people to fall in love with your content, so they can build a community around your blog.
Networking simply means connecting with other like minds, in a bid to share helpful and valuable content with their audience. Guest posting is a great way to network with other blogs.
The good side about this niche is that it’s wide and evergreen. People would continue to search for weight loss programs, and other helpful information to help achieve a definite goalkeeping fit and gain a good physique.
So there you go. That’s how you build a better weight loss blog that’s helpful to others and makes money for you.
What Others are Reading:
- How to Start a Blog and Make Money from it
- How to Start a Blog in India and Make Money from it
- How to Start a Fashion Blog and Make Money from Fashion Blogging
- How to Start a Lifestyle Blog And Make Money from Lifestyle Blogging
- How to Start a Food Blog and Make it Successful
- How to Start a Travel Blog and Make Money from It
- How to Start a Personal Blog on a Small Budget?
FAQs | How to Start a Weight Loss Blog
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about weight loss blogging.
Pick a domain name, choose a reliable web hosting like Bluehost, grab a WordPress theme and you’re ready to go. In case you’re looking for a step-by-step guide, read our tutorial on how to start a blog.
The best way to come up with topic ideas is to do competitor analysis. Just find a list of 10 to 20 blogs in your industry to see what are all the popular posts that you can cover by targeting decent search volume keywords. You can also use tools like Semrush for finding a ton of profitable topic ideas with ease.
Yes, there’s one called Semrush which can be used for competitor analysis, keyword research, site audits, content analysis and so on it is worth $100 per month but it’s worth every single penny.
The U.S. weight loss market is estimated to be worth $245 billion by 2022 billion dollars so obviously, it’s profitable to start doing weight loss blogging.
Here are some of the ways to monetize a weight loss blog.
– Affiliate marketing
– Offering services like personal training
– Selling own products such as videos, eBooks, etc
– Using display ad networks such as AdSense
- How to launch a Soccer Blog and make money from it
- How to Start a Pet Blog and Make Money
- How to Create An Event Blog & Make Money from it?
- What Is Blogging? How Does It Work?
- How to earn your first $100 from your blog within the first two months
- How to make your first $1000 [with Zero online reputation]
- The Future of Blogging With Trends & Predictions
Final Thoughts On Weight Loss Blogging
It doesn’t matter what industry you are in, you can build a profitable blog in any niche by creating the right content, defining your target audience, and doing some in-depth competitor analysis.
Hopefully, you can use this guide around weight loss blogging to avoid the mistakes mentioned above and really focus on building a profitable blog that actually gets more search traffic and earns you profits.
Have any questions? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.