What’s the best blogging format that works like a charm? How can you keep your readers hooked?
Did you know that 4.4 million new blog posts are published every day?
Just on the WordPress platform, over 70 million new posts go live each month.
That’s a HUGE number, right?
So what’s the best way to make your blog posts stand out from the crowd?
Format your blog posts the RIGHT way.
Why? Even the best content will only be read partially by most people.
The human brain is hardwired to skim information, looking for KEY points and important data.
That’s why, no matter how well-crafted your content is, it is unlikely that anyone will read it word for word. Instead, focus on making your content concise and easy to scan.
If you want to make sure your blog post stands out from others, it’s important to pay attention to the blog format.
If you’re looking for some PROVEN ways to format your blog posts for maximum impact, this post is exclusively for you.
In this post, you’ll discover a ton of interesting things including;
- Different types of blog formats (that work REALLY well in 2022)
- Top 10 proven ways to format a blog post
- A perfect blog formatting checklist and much more
So are you ready to find them out? Let’s jump into the details.
Table of Contents
- 5 Popular Types of Blog Formats
- 10 Best Ways to Format Blog Posts Like A Pro
- A QUICK 10-Point Checklist of Perfect Blog Formatting
- FAQs | Best Blog Formats
- Final thoughts on blog formatting
We get a commission when you buy a product via our affiliate link at no additional cost.
5 Popular Types of Blog Formats
When it comes to blogging, there are many different ways to format your blog posts.
However, some blog formats are more effective than others. In this section, you’ll discover the five of the BEST blog writing formats that work like a charm.
1. Case studies
If you want to build authority and establish yourself as an expert with content, create case studies. A case study is an in-depth study of one person, company, or product.
Here’s one of the examples of a case study that is generating a ton of traffic from Google to our site;
The above case study on MrBeast net worth is ranking for a lot of keywords and driving huge traffic.
Why did it work? The reason is simple. People love real-world stories and case studies.
You pick a celebrity or an influential person and provide an in-depth examination of that person (or product) within a real-world context. Take time to research, create a helpful case study and watch your traffic skyrocketing.
2. How-to posts
One of the most popular blogging formats is How-to posts.
How-to posts that teach your readers how to do something. They can be about anything from how to start a business to how to run a marathon.
Here’s an example of a how-to post on using Jasper Boss mode;
If you want to write a how-to post, here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Make sure your topic is something people actually want to learn about
- Outline the steps involved in your post so it’s easy for readers to follow along
- Use images, videos, or infographics to illustrate your points
- Include a call to action at the end of your post so readers know what to do next
One of the most popular blogging formats is the listicle.
A listicle is a blog post that’s formatted as a list, usually with numbered or bullet points.
For example, “13 profitable niches list” is a listicle type of post.
Listicles are easy to read and often get more shares and comments. They’re also easy to create when compared to other types of the blog format.
If you’re thinking about using a listicle format for your next blog post, try the following tips.
- Make sure your list is relevant to your topic
- Keep your listicle items short and helpful
- Use images, videos, or illustrations to break up your text and make your post more visually appealing
- Include a call to action at the end of your post to encourage readers to take further action
One of the most popular types of blog formats is comparison posts. Whether it’s two products, two celebrities, or two different approaches to something, people love to read about how things are compared against each other.
Here’s an example of a comparison post of Jasper vs CopyAI;
Here are a few tips that can help you create a good comparison post.
- First, it’s important to choose two things (or products) that are EXTREMELY relevant and similar. If the items you’re comparing are too irrelevant it can be difficult to make a fair comparison. For example, comparing Semrush with Ahrefs would be relevant as they’re the most popular SEO tools with identical features.
- Second, you need to have a clear reason for why you’re making the comparison. What are you trying to show with your post?
- Third, make sure you have solid data for your claims. This could include data, expert opinions, or even just personal thoughts.
Always make sure that the products being compared are similar in price and quality.
Interviews with well-known people in your industry work like a charm. An interview blog post is basically a Q & A between you and another person.
Interviews can be a great way to get new ideas on trending or popular topics in your industry, as well as introduce your readers to new people.
When conducting an interview for your blog, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Choose an established person or influential blogger to interview who will have something valuable to say
- Prepare a list of questions that are thought-provoking
- Make sure your questions are relevant to your topic and audience
- Summarize the interviewee’s answers so they’re easy to digest by your audience
- Include a call to action at the end of your post so readers can learn more about your interviewee
What’s the bottom line?
Experiment with different blog writing formats and see which ones work best for your blog.
10 Best Ways to Format Blog Posts Like A Pro
1. Use short paragraphs
First and foremost, it’s important to break up your blog post into smaller paragraphs.
Why? Online readers have small attention spans. Long paragraphs can be daunting. Most people skim the long text.
That’s why it’s ALWAYS better to use short paragraphs which makes it easier to read, and helps to keep your reader’s attention focused.
Using short paragraphs and bullet points can help to break up large chunks of text and make your content more digestible for readers.
Short paragraphs also help to highlight key points and keep the reader focused on the main ideas. When writing a blog post, it is ALWAYS better to start with a short paragraph that introduces the topic.
In general, a paragraph should be no longer than four or five sentences.
Here’s a quick example of using short paragraphs;
2. Add lots of visuals
“A picture is worth a thousand words”.
The meaning is, that it is ALWAYS easier to show something in a picture than to describe it with words.
When it comes to blogging, visuals are even more important.
Images and videos can help to break up the text and make the content more engaging for readers. When used correctly, visuals can be a powerful tool for engaging your audience and making your content more memorable.
If you’re writing a blog post, for example, you might want to include an image along with each section of your post. This will help to break up the content and make it more visually appealing.
According to recent studies, tweets with images receive 150% more retweets than those without. So what’s stopping you from using images in your blog posts?
3. Use headers and subheaders
No matter what type of blog post you create, use headers and subheaders.
If you’re writing long-form articles, use a lot of subheads (by using H2 or H3 tags) to make it easy for readers to go through your content.
When used correctly, headers and subheaders can provide a helpful roadmap for your readers, making it easier for them to find the information they need.
For many people, the best way to write blog posts is to simply start writing subheadings first and see where the words take them.
By breaking up the article into smaller chunks, it becomes easier to focus on one idea at a time. In addition, your audience can quickly scan your blog post and identify the sections that are most relevant to them.
All in all, using headers and subheaders is a brilliant way to improve the clarity and organization of your blog posts.
4. Use bullet points
When it comes to writing blog posts, bullet points can be extremely helpful.
They can provide a quick and concise overview of the topic you’re writing about.
It’s important to use bullet points sparingly. Why? Too many bullet points in a row can be overwhelming. As a rule of thumb, use five to six bullet points at a time.
Bullet points can also be helpful when trying to communicate a lot of information in a limited amount of space. Your readers can easily go through the bullet points and understand your topic quickly and easily.
5. Create a table of contents
Create a table of contents for EVERY blog post you publish on your blog.
The table of contents contains all the headings and subheadings of your blog post. It makes it easier for your readers to find exactly what they want while going through your post.
A table of contents can be helpful to any blog post, especially long ones. By including a table of contents, you are allowing readers to quickly and easily navigate to the section that they are most interested in. Not only does this make your content more user-friendly, but it also helps to improve your SEO.
Here’s what it looks like;
How? When search engines like Google crawl your blog or website, they look for elements like tables of contents in order to index your content and make it easier for users to find what they are looking for.
If you’re using WordPress, you can install a plugin called Table of Contents Plus which lets you generate the table of contents anywhere on your post. We’re also using the same plugin and it’s REALLY helpful.
6. Write a killer introduction
Your blog post introduction is one of the most important elements to hooking readers and keeping them engaged.
When it comes to blog posts, a great introduction can be the difference between a reader moving on to the next post and a reader is hooked on your content.
Your readers should be able to understand what your post is about within the first few sentences.
So, what are some best practices for writing a great blog post introduction? Try the following quick tips.
- First, start with a catchy opening line that will grab readers’ attention.
- Then, give a brief overview of the topic of your post and why it is important or interesting.
- Finally, provide a roadmap for the rest of the post, letting readers know what they can expect to find.
7. Write an irresistible headline
Headlines are essential for getting readers to engage with your content. Did you know that 8 out of 10 people read headlines first before reading your content?
A good headline will grab attention and give readers an idea of what your blog post is about.
However, crafting the perfect headline can be tricky. Here are some quick tips for writing irresistible headlines:
- Keep it short and sweet: Your headline should be concise and to the point. Avoid long and boring headlines that lose the reader’s attention.
- Make it relevant: Your headline should be relevant to the subject of your blog post. If it’s not, no one will read your posts.
- Use power words: Your headline should be strong and direct. Using power words like “amazing,” “incredible,” “powerful”, etc will make your headlines click-worthy.
Finally, try to evoke an emotional response with your headline. If you can make your reader feel engaged in what you’re writing about, you’re more likely to pull them in.
8. Use bold text wisely
When you’re writing a blog post, there are times when you want to make sure certain words stand out.
Maybe it’s a KEY point you want your reader to remember or an action you want them to take.
Either way, the way to convey important points or text is to use bold words.
By making specific words bold, you can help to draw attention to them and ensure they stand out from the rest of your text.
In addition, bold words can also help to break up long stretches of text and make them easier to read. Just be sure not to overuse them, or else your text will be difficult to read.
9. Include a call-to-action (CTA)
A call to action (or CTA) is extremely important. Why? Because it encourages a reader to take the desired action.
A good CTA will be specific and direct the reader toward a SINGLE goal.
Here’s an example of a good CTA:
Here are a few examples of effective calls to action:
- Join our email list to grab our eBook for FREE!
- Click here to get a 30% instant discount on our products
- Visit our website to sign up for a free consultation
- Save 10% on your next purchase by using promo code SAVE10 at checkout!
Here are a few quick tips to write an effective call to action:
- Use strong words that inspire people to take action, such as “discover,” “free”, “learn,” or “join.”
- Be clear and concise. Don’t use jargon or try to be too clever.
- Make it easy for the reader to take the desired action by including specific instructions, such as “Click here to try for free”
- Try to personalize the CTA as much as possible to create a sense of urgency. For example, “Sign up NOW to unlock our special offers!”
10. End your blog post with a conclusion
Make sure to include a conclusion for every blog post you publish.
Here’s what our blog post’s conclusion usually looks like;
Your blog post conclusion should briefly summarize the main points of your blog post and leave your readers with a final thought or call to action.
If possible, thank your readers for taking the time to read your post, and ask them to leave a comment or share the post with their others. It always works like a charm.
A QUICK 10-Point Checklist of Perfect Blog Formatting
Do you want to make sure your blog posts are formatted perfectly every time?
Then use the following quick 10-point checklist to ensure your posts are looking their best before you hit publish.
- Start with a catchy headline (Use headline generator tools if needed)
- Create a captivating blog post introduction
- Include images and videos
- Use bullet points and lists
- Highlight key takeaways
- Use proper grammar and spelling
- Always use a call to action (CTA)
- Use short and punchy paragraphs (Keep paragraphs to three sentences or less)
- Use internal linking
- ALWAYS proofread your post before publishing!
- How to Make Money from Pet Blogging in 2022?
- Future of Blogging: Are Blogs Still Relevant in 2022?
- 15 Free Blogging Sites for Creating Blogs in 2022
- 20 Best Blogging Courses for Beginners
- What is Event Blogging and How to Make Money from It?
- How to Create a Micro Niche Blog and Make Profit from it?
- 10 Blogging Skills You Need to Become a Successful Blogger
- How to Start a Weight Loss Blog and Make Money from It?
FAQs | Best Blog Formats
Here are a few frequently asked questions about blogging formats.
Blog formatting is the practice of organizing your blog post in a way that is easy to read and understand. This usually involves using short paragraphs, headings, visuals, and bulleted lists.
By formatting your blog posts in an easy and readable way, you can make sure that your readers will stick around until the end. It ultimately helps with better user engagement, conversions, and improved website dwell time.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best blog format for you will depend on your blogging goals and needs. However, some of the most popular and effective blog formats include the following;
– Case studies
The best way to choose the right blog format for you is to experiment with different formats and see which ones work best for your specific blogging goals. You may also want to analyze other top blogs in your industry to see which formats are most effective.
Use short paragraphs and clear subheadings. This makes it easy for readers to identify the main points of your article. Another tip is to highlight key takeaways in bold or bullet points. This allows readers to quickly skim your article and get the information they need.
Related Articles on Content Creation:
- How to Write A Blog Post that Will ALWAYS Go Viral
- How to Promote New Blog Posts Like A PRO
- How To Start A Blog In 2022 & Make $10K/mo
- How to Get Your Blog Noticed in 2022
- Best Blog Examples of 2023 for Your Inspiration
Final thoughts on blog formatting
Blogging is an excellent way to increase traffic and generate more leads and sales, but it’s not just about writing great content.
The way you format your blog post can make a big difference in how well it performs. Almost every blogger knows the importance of creating well-written, informative content that will engage and hook their readers.
In this article, we’ve outlined the best blogging formats for 2022 and shared PROVEN ways to use them. We hope you find these tips helpful and that they encourage you to experiment with new blog formats.
Do you have any more questions? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.