Who else wants to know how to start a fashion blog and make it successful? If you are looking for ways to launch your own successful fashion blog from scratch, this tutorial is exclusively for you.
I’m not only going to show how to start a fashion blog but I’ll share few incredible ideas with you on how to make it profitable. Are you ready? Let’s get into the details.
Why should you start a fashion blog?
There are so many great reasons to start a fashion blog.
If you are already working in the fashion domain and passionate about latest fashion trends, design and style, then starting a blog is a great way where you share your personal style, trends from established designers and promote yourself to create a brand online.
Blogging is one of the most effective ways to make income. If you are good at promoting or creating fashion related products, you can make a lot of passive income from your blogs.
Above all, starting fashion blogging helps you connect with awesome people in fashion industry as well as hones your marketing skills.
Table of Contents
- How to start a fashion blog that makes money: Step by step
- 1. Getting a domain name
- 2. Choosing the best web hosting to host your fashion blog
- 4. Other essential things to do after launching a fashion blog
- 5. Creating a list of top fashion blogs to outreach
- 6. Generating revenue from your fashion blogs
- Top 5 Ways to Make Money from Fashion Blogs in 2019
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid Before Starting A Fashion Blog
- Final Thoughts
How to start a fashion blog that makes money: Step by step
1. Getting a domain name
Launching your own fashion blog starts with securing a domain name. If you want to build a professional website, you need to pick a memorable domain name that ends with .com extension.
You can use domain name suggestion tools such as Domainr, GoDaddy etc to easily find out whether a domain name is available or not.
The great thing about launching a fashion blog while naming it is, you can even use your own name as your blog domain name. It helps you increase your online branding and promote yourself even better.
2. Choosing the best web hosting to host your fashion blog
I can’t stress enough about the importance of having a reliable web hosting service. Most beginners either use a cheap hosting or free hosting service to launch their own blogs on WordPress. But I strongly recommend you to get a reliable, faster and safer web host for your blog if you are serious about making income from it.
If you are searching for a reliable host at an affordable price, I highly recommend you to try Bluehost. I’ve been using their service for the last 5 years and I never encountered any hosting related issue with them.
BlueHost is trusted by millions of domain owners and they also give you a free domain name registration for one year, that means you just have to pay for their hosting. Here are their pricing packages.
Tenure Monthly price
36 Months $2.95
24 Months $3.95
12 Months $4.95
Bluehost features include the following:
- Anytime Money Back Guarantee. So no risk involved from your end
- Free One Click WordPress Installer
- Unlimited Disk Space and bandwidth
- Unlimited Email Accounts
- You can host up to 100 WordPress blogs from the same Hosting account
- Award Winning Support Staff who understand customer needs very well
- $100 free Google Adwords Credit
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
Click This Link to Start Your blog for $2.95/month only with Bluehost (Plus Free domain for Life).
Here’s a simple tutorial on how you can use Bluehost to install WordPress within 5 minutes.
Step 1: Use this special link to install WordPress blog on Bluehost hosting to get started with your blog.
Once you click on the above link, you will be taken to Bluehost hosting home page where you need to click on the “Get Started Now” button to continue. The hosting will be just $2.95 per month instead of $3.95 per month
Here’s how it looks like;
Step 2: Enter the domain name
Bluehost offers a free domain for 1 year so enter any domain name that you want. If you’ve already registered a domain from elsewhere, you can enter that too.
Step 3: Enter your account information and click “next”
Select any package. Please pick your account plan and here are the Bluehost discounted pricing details for you.
Here’s the discounted price if you buy from this special link
- 36 Months $2.95
- 24 Months $3.95
- 12 Months $4.95
Make sure to finish off the remaining steps like choosing a password and making the payment. Once you logged into Bluehost control panel, install WordPress.
P.S: If you want to read a detailed unbiased review of Bluehost before choosing it, please click this link. Also, if you want to find out the the comparison of the top 3 hosting service, please read the following detailed article.
Suggested Reading: How to Start a Blog Under 10 Minutes in 2019
Must have plugins and tools for starting a blog
SEMrush: If you want to spy on your competitors best performing keywords and estimate their website traffic, SEMrush is for you. This tool is recommended by over 40 SEO experts. This can also be used to find the top keywords that are related to fashion industry to increase the traffic to your blogs from search engines.
Click here to use SEMrush Pro version free for next 30 days worth $99.95.
WP SEO by Yoast: This is one of the highly used WordPress plugins which is free. If you want to optimize your blog posts for search engines, install this plugin as soon as your blog goes live. Even if you are a beginner to SEO, you will find it easy to optimize your web pages for search engines.
W3 Total Cache: You need fast loading web pages to create a successful blog from scratch. You should not irritate both readers and search engine crawlers with your site loading time. Here’s where a cache plugin helps, fortunately W3 total cache is free and widely used plugin for WordPress sites.
Here are few more essential plugins for fashion blogs.
- Events Calendar
- iMax Width
- Article Templates
- Shortcut Macros
- WP Polls
4. Other essential things to do after launching a fashion blog
Once you have installed WordPress on your fashion blogs, here are few must things to do after launching it.
Getting a professional look for your fashion blog
Whether you agree it or not, blog design is the king. Web design is what makes or breaks a blog’s success. If you don’t focus on getting a clean, simple and professional looking blog design, you will suffer later.
Make sure to get a search engine friendly design, I highly recommend Elegant themes or Genesis as they are not only used and recommended by thousands of bloggers but they are perfectly optimized for search engines. They are also mobile responsive, so you don’t have to install any additional plugins or tools to make your site mobile friendly.
Suggested Reading: Elegant Themes Review: How to Make Your WordPress Site Look Stunning
Here’s the overview of Elegant themes.
And get a great looking logo for your site that creates instant impact on your blog audience. Try to include your blog’s tagline that matches with your overall blog’s appeal and vision.
Setting up social media profiles
Immediately after setting up your fashion blog, you should set up social media links on all the major sites including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and more importantly Pinterest.
Try to get the same profile name that is similar to your blog’s domain name. That way you will be able to get more visibility and links from the search engines to your domain.
And always make sure to publish your latest posts to these social media profiles immediately after publishing them on your sites.
Discovering the best places to create top notch contents
Don’t just create blog posts that don’t add any value to your audience. First define who you are targeting to. And then find the most popular topics in fashion industry to create top notch contents.
If you create content that gets more likes, shares and links, you will get a lot of traffic from search engines and you should be able to quickly monetize your blogging efforts.
You can find better topic ideas for your fashion blogs by browsing sites like Buzzsumo, Topsy etc. Just enter any of the keywords you want to target and find all the top posts that get more likes and shares.
Create even better content around it to attract more attention from your industry. This is known as Skyscraper technique which is explained in detail here.
5. Creating a list of top fashion blogs to outreach
You need to network with other bloggers if you want to promote well your blog related products. Without promoting and getting to know about other bloggers in your fashion industry, you will rarely succeed.
So make sure to create a list of all the influential bloggers in your industry and follow them on social media sites to frequently get in touch with them.
If possible, attend their live seminars or webinars to get in touch with them personally. Then slowly and steady hone your relationships with them, frequently contact them through emails.
And frequently link out to their posts from your own blogs and let them know about it through emails. When you post something really useful for your blog audience, email outreach all the bloggers who are in your contact list and ask them for a tweet or link.
They will link or share if they really like your stuff. So blogger outreach is the key to get more exposure for your blog posts. Don’t miss out this thing if you want to build a fashion blog successfully from scratch.
6. Generating revenue from your fashion blogs
The final part about creating a successful blog from scratch is to finally make money from it. Remember, making money from a blog is not really hard if you are consistently working hard towards creating great contents and promoting the right products to your audience.
I strongly suggest you to find and create a list of all the products you want to promote through your blog before you even launch it. That will give you a clear idea about what to write and how to promote the right products relating to fashion industry to increase your website sales.
Here are few tips to make money from fashion blogs.
- Once you set up your own blog and started getting readers, you can launch a podcast or video series to acquire more buyers who are interested in buying products from you.
- You can try selling eBooks related to fashion blogging or become a fashion industry consultant to make money out of your blogging efforts.
- You can find and use the best performing affiliate programs to make passive income from your blogs. First off, make a list of all the affiliate products your competitors are promoting, then choose the best products to promote from your blog.
Suggested Reading: How Much Money Do Top Bloggers Make
Top 5 Ways to Make Money from Fashion Blogs in 2019
Are you finding interesting? Let’s find out some ways to make money. Most fashion bloggers use the following 5 strategies to make money from their fashion blogs and almost each one of them are worth giving a try in 2019.
1. Selling affiliate products
One of the best ways to earn passive income from blogging is affiliate marketing.
Affiliate marketing is performance based monetization strategy which means you only get paid when your promotional efforts actually result in a sale. To put it simply, whenever someone buys an affiliate product using your affiliate referral link, you earn commission.
The good news is that, affiliate marketing is growing rapidly. Here are few stats about affiliate marketing.
As you can see from the above chart, affiliate marketing has a HUGE potential which can help you earn a ton of money online no matter what niche you are in.
We’ve created an in-depth guide on how to setup an affiliate site that makes money but if you’re looking for some quick affiliate marketing tips you can use to make more dollars from your fashion blog, here are few tips for you.
- Define your target audience. Find out their gender, geographical location, age and all the other details like yearly income, expenses etc. The more you know about your target audience, the easier it becomes for you to find and promote the right affiliate programs to them.
- Make sure to use the right tools such as Thirsty Affiliates which is a popular affiliate marketing plugin to cloak your affiliate links which helps you to easily optimize your affiliate links and track all the clicks that you get for each link you create.Another great tool is Author hReview plugin which helps you get rich snippets along with star ratings and works as schema for your affiliate products.
- Last but not least, be genuine. Try to promote only those products which actually help your audience. Don’t promote products just because they pay you more commissions. Make sure to find those products which give you recurring commission every month.
2. Collaborations, sponsorships, paid reviews
Fashion bloggers mainly collaborate with other brands to make money. It can also be paid sponsorships, promoting others fashion brands or lifestyle products where they promote brands in exchange of money. Brands get loyal customers and better visibility online whereas the fashion bloggers make money. So it’s a win/win approach.
3. Selling own products
If you’re generating a ton of visitors to your site and has a huge email list or followers on social media, you can sell your own products. Branding is the key here. Your products should be relevant to your target audience and make sure to set the right price if you want to turn your website visitors into customers.
4. Using display advertising networks
This is one of the common ways to make money from fashion blogs as you can use a ton of display ads such as;
- Or even banner ads
The key to making more money from display ad networks is that you need to attract huge search engine traffic so you can generate decent income every month (but it’s going to hurt your readership in the long run, so consider better alternatives if you’re running a fashion blog).
5. Consulting, private mentorships, 1:1 coaching etc
Another common monetization strategy most fashion bloggers use to make money from their blogs is they offer consulting.
It can be done in variety of ways including;
- 1 on 1 coaching sessions
- Private mentorships and so on
If you’re going for consulting kind of services, make sure to build and improve your personal brand as a fashion blogger. Make sure to conduct seminars and webinars to improve your personal branding so you can attract high paying customers in the long run.
5 Mistakes to Avoid Before Starting A Fashion Blog
Starting a blog is easy but making it profitable is not. When you’re just starting out, you tend to make a ton of mistakes which might cost you a lot in the long run.
Make sure to avoid the following most common yet costliest mistakes while launching your own fashion blog in 2019 and beyond.
1. Not focusing on SEO
If you’re running a fashion blog, make sure to focus on SEO. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is what determines your overall search rankings and traffic. Ignoring SEO altogether can harmful in the long run as it’s one of the most converting channels to generate more traffic, leads and sales.
Here are few quick tips which can help you improve your fashion blog’s SEO in 2019:
- Find keywords which have low search volume: If you want to increase your traffic from search engines like Google, you need to first perform keyword research so you can use relevant keywords in every blog post you publish. Here’s a comprehensive guide on keyword research which can help you find low competitive yet high converting keywords.
- Learn proper on page optimization: On page SEO refers to all the things that you do at your website level to increase the visibility of your site in search engines which includes inserting your primary keywords in titles, meta description, image alt tags, sub headings, URL etc.
- Build backlinks: SEO mostly involves in building quality backlinks. You simply can’t get first page rankings without getting links to your pages so make sure to find ways to build links. You can use tactics like guest posting, blogger outreach, broken link building etc to start building links. You can go through these off page techniques to generate more organic visibility to your fashion websites.
- Use proper SEO tools: It takes money to make money online. If you want to get better results really quickly, we highly recommend you to invest money on getting the right SEO tools such as SEMrush, Yoast SEO pro etc as they make it easier for you to find keywords, perform competitive analysis, do proper on page optimization and so on.
2. Not having a monetization strategy
One of the biggest mistakes any blogger can make including fashion bloggers is that they blog without having a monetization strategy. If you want to make money from blogging, you definitely need a strategy which you can use in the long run. Otherwise, you can’t survive.
That being said, find out ways to create a blog sales funnel.
- Build an email list and grow your presence on social media. Create a Facebook group and engage with others so you can grow your online presence.
- Make sure to focus on offering high value stuff to your audience upfront so you can offer small priced products later.
- Once you start making sales, you can offer high end products (or your own products) which help you make even more sales.
Here’s how a sales funnel looks like;
Above all, make sure to find out the RIGHT strategy (be it affiliate marketing or selling your own courses) before you even start your fashion blog. Analyse your competitor websites to come up with ideas to monetize your site the right way.
3. Not creating an editorial calendar
Consistency is the key.
If you want to build blog audience around your fashion blog, make sure to post contents regularly. The key is to realize how long it’ll take you do a post and figure out your daily planning based on that so you can create an effective editorial calendar.
It’s a lot easier and better to post twice a week with high quality content rather than posting every day with mediocre content. One high quality post is a lot better than 10 thin contents.
If you’re using WordPress, you can install Editorial calendar plugin which gives you an overview of your blog and when each post will be published. You can drag and drop to move posts, edit posts right in the calendar, and manage your entire fashion blog.
4. Not networking with others
Fashion industry is full of bloggers, fashion enthusiasts, celebrities and the list goes on. The best way to create a profitable blog from scratch is to expand and build your network. The key here is to spend more time on promoting and networking with others than spending more time on your own blog.
5. Not nichifying your blog
Don’t cover too many topics on your blog. You should never compete with authority sites no matter what industry you are in. It’s always better to nichify your topics and start creating contents around one particular topic at a time. That’s the fastest way to build and grow loyal audience around your fashion blog.
Browse More Resources About Starting a Blog:
- How to Start a Blog in 2019 [Step by Step Process]
- How to Build a Successful Food Blog and Earn Money from it
- How to Launch a Soccer a Blog and Make Money from it
- How to Create a a Free Blog on Blogger.com and Earn Money from it
1. How do I increase traffic and visitors to my fashion blog?
There are a ton of ways to increase traffic to your fashion blog but the best traffic source can be SEO as it sends you long lasting and highly qualified visitors to your site. Here are few more ways you can use to generate visitors to your fashion blogs in 2019.
- Use appealing and unique images so you can submit them on image sharing sites such as Pinterest, Instagram and so on and image sharing sites can help you with SEO, gaining more exposure, build your brand, get more traffic etc.
- Promote on social media as fashion blog posts mostly go viral on sites like Instagram, Facebook, YouTube etc. If possible, create a YouTube channel where you can increase your brand and promote your fashion related contents
- Build an email list from day 1 as it can give you long lasting results and email list also produces the highest ROI where it gives you $40 returns for every $1 you spend.
2. How to make money from a fashion blog?
There are a ton of ways to make money from fashion blogs but the following are widely used by most fashion bloggers to generate income from their blogs.
- Writing product reviews of fashion products
- Collaborations with brands
- Selling fashion related affiliate products
- Selling their own courses or products such as eBooks, videos etc
- Using AdSense kind of display ads
- Offering services and the list goes on
The key to monetize a fashion blog is to find your target audience and figure out the exact ways to monetize your traffic. Few of them like affiliate products and few might like your courses. So decide your monetization strategy depending upon your target audience and traffic.
3. What are the best fashion blogs to follow in 2019?
We’ve compiled a huge list of best Indian fashion blogs to follow where you can find a ton of fashion enthusiasts and celebrity fashion bloggers from India. Here are few more fashion blogs which are popular worldwide.
- The Blonde Salad
- Man Repeller
- Gabi Fresh
- Tuula Vintage
- and the list goes on
4. How do I start a fashion blog?
Here are 5 simple steps to start a fashion blog.
- Choose the best blogging platform (prefer WordPress)
- Select your domain name and get a hosting provider (hosting sites like Bluehost offers affordable hosting along with a free domain)
- Install WordPress on hosting
- Once installed, your blog is ready where you can find the perfect theme to make it appealing
- Start creating great content to attract more traffic and money!
5. How to promote your fashion blog?
Here are top 3 ways to promote your fashion blog.
- Be active on social media. Connect with other fashion bloggers. Create a Facebook group and promote others contents regularly. Tag others whenever you are sharing their stuff. You can implement the same stuff with Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and so on
- Start writing guest posts. You can also start collaborating with other bloggers where you can mutually promote each others stuff, link to each other, comment on each others posts etc.
- Start leaving thoughtful comments on other fashion blogs. Firstly, build a list of top and best fashion blogs and start leaving at least 5 to 10 comments every single day. It works like a charm to spread out your name as a fashion blogger.
Anyone can start a fashion blog, the real success lies in making it profitable. You cannot launch a successful fashion blog without targeting the right audience.
Get to know who you are targeting and get a professional domain name, hosting and design for your blog.
First impression is the last impression in online. So make sure you impress your blog audience with great content and design. Also network with other bloggers in fashion industry to promote your blog well.
Make sure to find out all the monetization methods to make money from your blogging efforts. Making money from fashion blogs is not hard if you know how to promote the right products to your blog readers.
Let me know if you have any questions related to fashion blogging. I’d be glad to answer your queries.