Product Name: ConvertKit
Summary of ConvertKit
ConvertKit is an easy to use email marketing platform for online creators like bloggers. It helps you with everything from automation to segments, landing pages and so on. You can also try their software FREE for 14 days. Here’s our detailed review of ConvertKit where you can find all the details.
Email marketing is the #1 way to build trust and engage with your target audience in a personalized way.
Email marketing also has the highest ROI so it ultimately helps you with more sales.
But there are too many options out there when it comes to email marketing software starting from free tools like Mailchimp to premium options like Drip, ConvertKit and so on.
So which one should you go for?
If you’re a blogger or an online creator who is looking for an easy to manage and effective email marketing platform, you should definitely try ConvertKit.
Why? You’ll find it out in this detailed ConvertKit review 2021 along with its:
- Why we’re using ConvertKit
- Alternatives and much more
So are you ready to find them out? Let’s get into the details.
Table of Contents
- ConvertKit Review 2021: Is It Worth Your Money (Plus Why We Moved from Drip)?
- Why Use ConvertKit Over Other Email Marketing Solutions
- Extremely easy to use interface
- ConvertKit Subscribers
- Visual Automations in ConvertKit
- Create Unlimited Landing Pages & Forms with ConvertKit
- ConvertKit Broadcasts
- ConvertKit is subscriber-centric rather than list-centric
- How to Grab a 14-Day Free Trial from ConvertKit?
- ConvertKit Customer Support: What to Expect
- ConvertKit Pros and Cons
- ConvertKit Pricing Plans
- 3 Alternatives to ConvertKit
- Final Thoughts
ConvertKit Review 2021: Is It Worth Your Money (Plus Why We Moved from Drip)?
Why did we move from Drip to ConvertKit?
We used Drip for almost 2 years and moved to ConvertKit recently. We really liked Drip.
Although there’s a learning curve with Drip but its features like email marketing automation, overall email open rates, deliverability etc are incredible.
The reason we moved to ConvertKit was pricing. Drip was becoming expensive for us. At the time of leaving it, we were paying around $180 per month.
Here’s the screenshot of the payment history.
As you can see, as our list became bigger, we were paying more to Drip. We’re also aiming at growing a BIGGER email list – so we started searching for a better and affordable email marketing software.
That’s how we ended up switching to ConvertKit. We connected with their support staff and they migrated our entire list to ConvertKit seamlessly at free of cost.
What are the features of ConvertKit?
ConvertKit offers a ton of excellent features.
- Free landing page builder along with fully customizable templates
- Create lead magnets, coming soon pages, course sign up pages etc with ease
- A ton of easy integrations with other tools like Teachable, Shopify and so on
- Excellent email marketing automations where you can set rules based on your subscribers actions
- Unlimited sign up forms with responsive templates
- The ability to design popup forms including exit intent pop ups
- Their email designer helps you write simple yet compelling emails
- Incredible email reporting where you can track conversion rates on your homepage dashboard
- RSS to email automation
- Access to A/B testing
- The ability to organize your subscribers from one email list with tags and segments
So you want to try all their features now?
Why Use ConvertKit Over Other Email Marketing Solutions
ConvertKit was launched by Nathan Barry as a side project in 2013 and it quickly became popular among the blogosphere. Now it has grown into over $10m per year in revenue which is used by over 30,000 online creators worldwide.
Okay… let’s now dive into the details of its usage and benefits.
Extremely easy to use interface
ConvertKit consists of 4 different modules in its interface which include;
- Landing pages & Forms
Here’s how its interface looks like;
As you can see above, its interface shows you almost all the essential data on the dashboard which includes everything from;
- Showing your total subscribers
- Average open rate
- Average click rate
- Total number of emails sent
- New subscribers (for today)
- Purchases made
You will also find an option to import new subscribers if any along with the tags to segment your email lists for higher email conversions.
Even if you’re new to email marketing, you will find it easy to use ConvertKit as its usage is pretty straightforward and won’t require much learning curve.
Let’s now talk about ConvertKit’s 4 different modules that are included in its interface.
- Landing pages & Forms
Here’s how the “Subscribers” interface looks like;
As you can see above, you can find everything from;
- Email address
- Name of the subscribers
- Subscribed date
- Status (whether they confirmed your subscription yet or not)
- Tags (these are extremely useful)
There are two most important things we need to discuss when it comes to “Subscribers” data which are;
- Segments and
Let’s briefly talk about them so you can better segment your email list with ConvertKit for higher conversion rates.
Segments: Segments let you group your email subscribers together for broadcasts. To create a segment, you need to use filters to define what Subscribers will show up as a result.
Here’s an example of a segment.
As you can see above, we created a Segment using two filter groups which are;
- People who bought (subscribed) our Affiliate Marketing Blueprint eBook and
- Those who subscribe to our Free Affiliate Marketing Course
Now, it becomes easier for us to send “highly relevant email newsletters” to that particular segment for better conversions in the future.
Within a Filter Group, you’ll see various options including;
- Any (specific subscribers)
- All (everyone in your list)
- None (to exclude someone or some people from the list)
Tags: Tags help you easily identify your subscribers based on their behaviour. For example, you can easily tag those who’ve subscribed to your list, who bought something from you, who completed an email sequence and so on.
But don’t get confused with Segments and Tags as both are different. Have a look at the following illustration for better understanding.
As you can see above,
- We create “Tags” to organize and group subscribers based on actions, interest etc
- We create “Segments” by tagging subscribers and then grouping those tags together
That being said, email segmentation is extremely important if you want to increase your email open rates, boost your click through rates, and increase the overall engagement with your subscribers.
Visual Automations in ConvertKit
Email automation helps you understand your customer journey in a better way. ConvertKit offers you easy to understand automation workflows in a visual form.
We recently launched our FREE 10-day blogging course and here’s how the Visual Automation looks like;
With their automation feature, you can do so many things including;
- Creating automated email funnels
- Setting up the rules then let the app do the work for you
- You can customize a subscriber’s path based on their actions (such as filling a form, clicking a link, purchasing a product etc)
- Always know what’s next for your subscriber
- You can send extremely targeted email newsletters
- You can also segment your subscribers based on their customer journey
You’ll also find a few more things in the “Automations” section.
As you can see above, you can manage so many things including;
- Sequences (where you can create and edit email sequences)
- Rules (set rules based on your subscribers actions)
Create Unlimited Landing Pages & Forms with ConvertKit
ConvertKit lets you create unlimited landing pages and forms. From the “Landing Pages & Forms” section, you can easily create landing pages and forms (email opt-in forms) within your website.
Landing Pages: Although we create unique and custom landing pages on our site but if you’re looking to build exclusive landing pages using ConvertKit, you can do that easily.
ConvertKit offers you an in-built landing page builder along with pre-made templates that you can use to create landing pages within a few minutes.
As you can see above, there are a wide range of templates to choose from (ranging from ebooks to podcasts to video landing pages).
The best part? All the landing pages that you create using ConvertKit to capture email addresses will be hosted by ConvertKit. If you want, you can also host them on your own domain with WordPress.
Forms: You can embed a form anywhere on your website, or landing page that you host yourself. The main reason to use their forms on your site to collect emails is that you’ll get important data like overall visitors, subscribers along with the conversion rate.
Here’s how our 10-day free blogging course form looks like;
Side note: We recently launched that free blogging course and as you can see above, the overall conversions are super cool so far (over 50%).
Broadcasts is where you can find all your email newsletters along with the important data.
Here’s how it looks like;
As you can see, you’ll find everything from;
- Your email broadcasts (aka newsletters) along with the timing
- Number of recipients who received it
- Open rate
- Click rate (along with the number of clicks)
- Unsubscribers (if any)
You can also click on each one of those broadcasts to see more data.
Have a look;
You’ll see the overview of engagement of your broadcasts including;
- Content (your email content)
- Recipients (along with their email addresses and names)
- Opens (along with their email addresses and names)
- Clicks (along with their email addresses and names)
- Unsubscribers (along with their email addresses and names)
You’ll also find an option to “resend to unopened” people to improve your overall email engagement rates. You can create a duplicate broadcasts and make some quick changes to resend it again to your subscribers. You can also share that broadcast anywhere you want online.
ConvertKit is subscriber-centric rather than list-centric
One good reason to use ConvertKit over other email marketing platforms is that ConvertKit uses tags rather than lists.
ConvertKit is a Subscriber-centric platform. So what exactly does it mean?
That simply means, each subscriber on your email list is only counted once in your account and you won’t be charged for duplicate subscribers. Let us explain to you even further.
No matter how many times someone subscribes to various opt-in forms or landing pages available within your website, they will appear only once on your main list. That’s what the “Subscriber-centric model” is all about.
It not only helps you manage your whole email list effortlessly but it also saves your money (on duplicate subscribers as they are counted only once).
Most other email marketing platforms don’t do this as they follow the “list-centric model” which means each subscriber is registered as a separate contact.
It means, a subscriber with the same email address registered on multiple lists will be charged the same way – so one person on 5 lists will be billed as 5 separate contacts.
Fortunately, you can eliminate that issue with ConvertKit as it uses a “Subscriber-centric model”.
Not only that, you can easily segment your email list by using tags.
For example, if a customer has purchased something from you, you can tag them and segment them into the “Purchased” tag so you can better align your email newsletters.
Above all, ConvertKit makes it easy for you to keep your email list “clean”.
How? All the unsubscribers are automatically removed and cold subscribers are automatically highlighted in your list so you can either remove them or re-engage with them for higher conversions.
How to Grab a 14-Day Free Trial from ConvertKit?
Loving our ConvertKit review and convinced to try ConvertKit to build and grow your email list? Looking for a free trial? Here’s a simple tutorial on how to grab a free trial from ConvertKit for the next 14 days.
Click on this special link to grab the 14 day free trial from ConvertKit and visit their Pricing section.
Here’s how it looks like;
Once you’re on their pricing page, scroll down to see their “Complete” package and click on the “Start a free trial” button to continue.
Once you click on the free trial, you’ll be asked a few questions like;
- Do you currently use an email marketing tool in your business?
- Do you have a website?
Answer those questions and then you’ll be asked to create a free account using your email and username. That’s it, you’ll have instant access to all their features free for next 14 days after creating an account.
ConvertKit Customer Support: What to Expect
ConvertKit gives you access to their customer support team via email or live chat (8am to 8pm EST).
They also offer a free migration service so you can move your email lists from your existing email software to ConvertKit at free of cost.
Apart from that, you’ll also get access to their HUGE library of knowledge base where you can find 100’s of articles and guides around ConvertKit usage. You can also find useful video tutorials on how to get the most out of ConvertKit’s email software.
ConvertKit also conducts live workshops and on-demand training that teach you how to become a successful creator online.
Above all, you can use their “ConvertKit creator community” to post any questions you have in mind related to their software. The good thing is their community is very active so you’ll be getting replies within the same day.
ConvertKit Pros and Cons
This ConvertKit review will be incomplete without listing its pros and cons. So here’s the list of some of the pros and cons we discovered so far with ConvertKit. We’ll update this section whenever we find something new.
- It offers a free plan where you can manage up to 1000 email subscribers (great plan for beginners)
- It is extremely easy to use even for beginners
- Offers free migrations which means you can switch from your existing email marketing provider to ConvertKit at free of cost (which includes moving your lists and information from your current email marketing software into ConvertKit)
- ConvertKit has the BEST email deliverability rate. According to them, ConvertKit sent over a billion messages with a delivery rate of 99% which is great
- You won’t be charged for duplicate (or redundant) subscribers unlike other services like AWeber as ConvertKit charges only for “UNIQUE subscribers”
- No matter what plan you’re using, you can send unlimited emails with ConvertKit
- They often roll out updates to their software with new and unique features
- Usage of tags so you can easily segment your email list and send newsletters or broadcasts to specific people for better conversions (instead of sending your emails to the whole list)
- You can create unlimited landing pages
- Access to visual automation funnels which help you discover the journey of your email subscribers which ultimately helps you with higher conversion rates
- Excellent reporting features as you can also see the top referrers of your email subscribers
- Limited email templates (mostly their email templates have plain text). So if you want to use appealing or design oriented email templates, you’ll have to customize using an HTML editor.
ConvertKit Pricing Plans
So how much does ConvertKit cost you?
One good thing about ConvertKit is they recently introduced a “FREE plan” where you can manage up to 1000 email subscribers for free. Yes, you heard it right.
So if you’re just getting started with ConvertKit as a new blogger, you can try their free plan.
That said, ConvertKit offers a “Complete” plan and the pricing plans are listed below.
- $29 /month for up to 1,000 subscribers
- $49 /month For up to 3,000 subscribers
- $79 /month For up to 5,000 subscribers
- $99 /month For up to 8,000 subscribers
- $119 /month For up to 10,000 subscribers
- $179 /month For up to 20,000 subscribers
- $199 /month For up to 25,000 subscribers
- $259 /month For up to 35,000 subscribers
- $319 /month For up to 45,000 subscribers
- $379 /month For up to 55,000 subscribers
- $679 /month For up to 105,000 subscribers
- $1,279 /month For up to 205,000 subscribers
- $1,879 /month For up to 305,000 subscribers
- $2,499 /month For up to 500,000 subscribers
- $3,999 /month For up to 900,000 subscribers
With their complete plan, you’ll get all the following features.
- Visual automation funnels
- Automated email sequences
- Premium customer support
- Free migration from another tool
- With their Complete plan, you can try all their features free for 14 days
So what are you waiting for?
ConvertKit has a 30-day refund policy. In case, if you’re not satisfied with their features or email software, you can simply get in touch with their customer support team through live chat or email and cancel your account within 30 days after the purchase to get your money back.
3 Alternatives to ConvertKit
This review of ConvertKit will be incomplete without listing out some other cheaper (or better) alternatives to ConvertKit. So here are the 3 ConvertKit alternatives you can consider for email marketing.
GetResponse is an all in one email marketing software solution which offers you everything from Landing Pages, Webinars, Autoresponders, and Automation. It also offers a ton of easy to use email templates along with advanced analytics to make it easy to track your email conversions.
GetResponse offers a 30-day free trial to all its first-time users and their pricing plans start at $15 per month for 1000 contacts.
Here are some of the features of GetResponse:
- 99% deliverability
- Landing pages
- Mobile-responsive email templates
- Email segmentation
- Marketing automation which helps you see your customer journey
- Email analytics
- Build custom segments based on your contacts’ behavior using tags
You can also read our honest GetResponse review to find more details along with pricing, pros, cons and so on.
2. Campaign Monitor
Campaign Monitor is one of the most popular email marketing platforms which is used by more than 2 million marketers worldwide.
Although it’s free to create an account and create a campaign on Campaign Monitor but to send emails to more than 5 subscribers, you’ll need to choose a plan. To put it simply, it doesn’t provide any free trials. Their pricing plans start at $9 per month for 2500 contacts.
Here are some of the features of Campaign Monitor:
- Email marketing automation
- Unlimited emails across campaigns
- Unlimited spam testing
- Time zone sending
- Access to hundreds of professionally-designed templates
- Integrations with hundreds of pre-built apps
- Offers a powerful drag-and-drop email builder
- All its email templates are mobile responsive
- Countdown timer
As mentioned earlier in the post, we used Drip for several years and it’s an incredible email marketing solution for bloggers and online marketers. If you’re looking for higher email open rates and better engagement with your email list including solid A/B testing features, Drip is for you.
Drip does offer a 14-day free trial to try all of their features and Drip pricing plans start at $19 per month for 500 contacts.
Here are some of the features of Drip:
- Offers powerful email automation
- A/B testing
- Offers Ecommerce CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- Third-party integrations like SMS and direct mail
- Visual email builder that lets you build beautiful image-driven emails
- Segmentation of your email lists can be done by tags, actions, locations, custom fields, and more
Here are some of the frequently asked questions around ConvertKit email marketing platform.
Yes, in many ways Convertkit is way better than Mailchimp. Most importantly, ConvertKit uses Tags rather than lists so if there are any redundant subscribers, they will be counted as only one.
Whereas Mailchimp treats each subscriber who is registered in various lists as a separate contact (which also adds more burden to your billing and difficult to manage such duplicate contacts).
ConvertKit is exclusively created as an email marketing automation software and there’s no CRM provided. But it does offer seamless integrations with CRMs like Zero BS CRM.
ConvertKit is currently providing a 14-day FREE trial on their “Complete” plan and you can grab it for free from here.
Yes, ConvertKit offers a free landing page builder which you can use to create gorgeous landing pages without knowing any code. It also offers seamless integration with Unsplash where you can find and use over 100,000 stock free images. All their landing page templates are responsive.
No, it doesn’t have an exclusive app for smartphones like Androids or iPhones. But it does have a desktop app (aka dashboard) which you’ll be using after logging into your ConvertKit account.
Here are some of the best email marketing platforms.
→ ConvertKit (great for bloggers and also offers a free plan which can manage up to 1k contacts)
→ Drip (expensive but worth it)
→ Mailchimp (great for beginners as their free plan allows up to 2000 contacts)
ConvertKit offers two plans.
→ One is a Free plan which can be used to manage up to 1000 contacts
→ Other is “Complete” plan and the pricing starts at $29 /month where you’ll get all the features
Yes, you can use ConvertKit to build and grow your email list and then monetize that list with various strategies like product selling, courses selling, affiliate product selling, consulting and so on.
ConvertKit was founded by Nathan Barry in 2013 as an email marketing platform for online creators such as bloggers, SEOs, writers and many more.
ConvertKit offers a 30 day refund policy, so if you cancel within 30 days after purchasing their plan, you’ll be refunded in full. If you wish to cancel your ConvertKit account, you can visit this page.
Other Useful Resources:
- 6 Best Email Marketing Software Solutions for Bloggers And Marketers to Use in 2021
- 45+ Experts Sharing Their #1 Strategy for Beginners
ConvertKit is one of the most adopted email marketing software solutions. It is extremely easy to use and there’s not much learning curve so you can use it effortlessly even if you’re a beginner.
It introduces new features regularly that can help online creators to get more out of their email lists. It is also affordable when compared to other alternatives such as Drip. That’s the major reason why we switched to ConvertKit.
If you’re just getting started, you can also try their “Free plan” which is good for up to 1000 subscribers. Did you like our review of ConvertKit? Have any more questions? Let us know in the comments.